It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top Kill not working? Check out this feed.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I'm not holding out much hope that this will work. Imagine a garden hose turned on full blast and then picture trying to stuff rocks and mud into the spigot to stop the water flow from the hose - probably wouldn't work very well. Given the amount of pressure coming from the well head, I just can't fathom the volume and rate at which you would need to inject material to slow this down. But that's just the pessimist in me - or maybe just the realist - don't know but time will tell.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

spy66 nice to chat with u again! 'glad we're on the same page.
Any idea if they already drilled in the new pipes (as planned)? cuz if they didn't like what I/you said the pressure will only get displaced to the other leaking areas or will create new leaks - which will/might cause more damage that might be harder to stop.

Also, what's puzzling to me are the locations of the leaks - there are three.
I know that main riser pipe and its end is leaking but the third leak -I have no idea where it's coming from. If it is somehow connected BOP not the riser then I 'm afraid that the preasure will move in there, that is, if they haven't drilled yet (to reduce preasure).

[edit on 26-5-2010 by edmc^2]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Yea its still gushing like crazy but they did say we wouldn't be able to tell by looking at the vid - my bet is BP already knows if its working or not.

Low radiation nuke - I have seen what low radiation does to cancer patients, I can't even imagine what it would do to the ocean and environment. Hope we don't have to go that route!

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

I think they got it ready last night and then just turned it on today.. that's my guess. I don't think it looks good.. but we'll know for sure tomorrow.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by chorizo4

I don't think a nuke would work, and probably would make things worst. The Gulf would be radio active for decades.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by chorizo4
reply to post by Morpheas

I saw on a western, "The Outlaw Josey Wales", Josey Wales played by Clint Eastwood tells the old lady before an Indian attack to keep a hot poker ready and to slap it to any bullet wound to cauterize it. This is all we need to do to seal off the leak. Just cauterize it!

A low yield nuke, low radiation output, would burn the wellhead and surrounding sea bed. The leak would be stopped. They have low radiation nukes. Sure radiation is poison, but oil in such amounts is poison, too.

That is crazy talk. Read up on the methane hydrate. It is a highly volatile substance.
When it is disturbed or heated even slightly it expands 164 times in size.
The gas field below this hole is MASSIVE. If that gas chain reacts on its own it
would cause a bigger explosion and tsunami than your nuke.

Remember the gas is what took out the pipe and rig in the first place.
A nuke would be like throwing dynamite at a leaking gas truck.

On topic, it needs a bit more time than half a day to expect results with the pressures they are dealing with. We have no choice but hope they get this done. There is only one more option and it is a real long shot. Drilling a relief and that takes weeks, has not been done to my knowledge at this depth, and is a kin to shooting an arrow in flight with an arrow.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
It looks like they are using the ROV's arm as a reference for measuring the flow rate.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthWizard
In CNN's first reports they said they should now within a few hours then those hours went by then they said they should know within 24 hours now their saying 2 days. my guess is they already know this won't work and are just buying some time.

Bingo! All you have to do is look back at the Ixtoc failure in the Gulf back in 1979. They're trying all the same things for this leak they tried back then - only this time instead of 200' of water, we're dealing with ~5000' of water and substantially increased pressures. NONE of their solutions worked then, just as they are failing now. They only way they stopped the spill was by drilling two relief wells. Welcome to the summer of spilt oil.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
They just stuck a wrench through the cloud of mud to see if there is any oil.. looks like there is some to me.

Edit: Here is a screen shot of it from another thread..
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 5/27/2010 by Morpheas]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Just read on another thread that they stopped pumping mud last night, but didn't say anything until after the market closed.

www.abovetopsecret.com...&flagit=576018

I hope they figure things out fast.. this is getting ridiculous!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join