It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you give up your social network passwords for a job?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by dean007

Over-reaction much?

Geez...

[edit on 25-5-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Is it an over reaction, your employer has just asked you to divulge the contents of your private life on penalty of losing your job. If your employer rocked up on your doorstep demanding to look through your knicker drawer lest you lose your job, would you not leave a hand print on his cheek?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Hell no I wouldn't hit them because then not only would I be out of a job but I'd also be tried and convicted of assault. Physical violence because of being asked something is such a disproportionate response thats its absurd; why would anybody want to make a bad situation worse by taking a swing at someone even if they do hold your job over your head in such a dirty fashion? A far better response would be to tell the employer to politely take a long walk off a short plank then look for gainful employment elsewhere.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Helig

I seriously doubt any woman would be convicted of assault if she slapped her boss around the chops because he asked to go through her underwear. I doubt she'd lose her job. She'd probably win a massive settlement!!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

In that exact example probably not, but in the real world sure especially in the right-to-work states where no reason is necessary for dismissal at all.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
This isn't just about Facebook though..this is EVERY social network site you visit..including ATS, or perhaps dating sites.
I can't believe those who actually add their bosses on their Facebook friend's list...

The question is, how personal should a potential employer get when you apply for a job?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
you treat him politely nothing changes
your brushed under the carpet and never thought of again

i take a swing at him he never forgets and ill bet he will refuse to ask the question of anyone else

that question is like asking how good your wife is in bed unless your a real close old friend your getting hit

[edit on 25-5-2010 by dean007]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

That really depends on the job, if you are applying to work in any kind of sensitive government environment (think NSA cryptoanalyst, maintenance on nuclear weapons systems) then I would say passwords to such things are completely fair game, however to sweep the floor at the corner shop in downtown Bozeman its overkill to the nth degree.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helig
That really depends on the job, if you are applying to work in any kind of sensitive government environment (think NSA cryptoanalyst, maintenance on nuclear weapons systems) then I would say passwords to such things are completely fair game

Aren't you usually approached for those type of jobs rather than filling out an application, and anyway, who'd want to work for a cryptoanalysis department that couldn't hack your facebook account?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Considering that hacking is illegal as defined in the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act I would have no problems working for an outfit that didn't compromise the security of a service I used prior to my employment there but then that might just be my take on it.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I was under the impression that handing over passwords to websites was in breach of the actual website T&Cs in a majority of cases. The invasion of privacy is just a start. What do they do with the passwords? As with most things that are filed, they will be accesible to not only the employer, but anyone who chooses to snoop around the employers office.
I find it pretty disgusting that anyone would feel obliged to hand over such material for the sake of keeping a job. No one will get anything of the sort from me, and if me getting fired is the result then I'll see my employer in court so we can ascertain what privacy actually means online and why such a frivellous reason was chosen to depart with the skills I bring to any given job. Honestly, in my line of work there are more than enough security measures to ensure that I'm not a danger to those I work with. Sticking everything I do online on a silver platter with bells on is simply not going to happen, nor do I think it is reasonable to assume that it will be remotely enforcable.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I think it's ridiculous that this sort of thing is even being concidered.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

The fact is if they make it A POLICY of employment Ohhhh yeh your going to give it to them and with a smile too!!

Just another nail in the privacy coffin folks.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join