It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Brother to control your car:

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I guess we all knew it was coming:

A patent application filed by IBM engineers reveals the company's developing technology that will allow governments to shut down the engines of private automobiles via traffic signals. It's like Skynet... only much worse.

source

This is from the same people who developed computers to control German concentration camps... go figure.

edit... source has link to the patent.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by pianopraze]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
For some people this may not be such a bad idea.

[gratuitous link removed]

[edit on 25-5-2010 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

I recall reading about this almost a decade ago. Most cars manufactured today have gps and other vehicle monitoring devices.

Its is also known that most vehicles are controlled electronically. For example. When you push the gas pedal in 1975, your carburetor was mechanically opened and vacuum would suck gas into the engine. With todays cars, when you press the pedal, you are telling the sensor to inject an X amount of gas.

I heard in Britain 'they' tested this many times. In a high speed chase or if ambulance was coming, 'they' would electronically hijack cars to limit their speed to a crawl. I also recall how your car can rat you out if you are speeding and it should be know that in serious vehicle collisions, your insurance has access to data stored in your onboard computer which should tell them speed, location, whether you hit the brakes, had seatbelts on etc.

Most cars after 1986 have the technology on board. Whether, when or how it will be used is another question all together.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by Shadow Herder]

[edit on 25-5-2010 by Shadow Herder]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

What possible purpose could this technology serve? Police chases? IMO police chases outside of the extreme are more dangerous than the criminals they are chasing.

Just my luck is that I will finally save enough money go get that 1970 GTO I've always wanted and will front end some dude in a Prius who's car has been shut off by a traffic light and ruin my car because it does not have the technology.

- the accident will be my fault
- I'll get sued for pain and suffering by the driver of the Prius
- I'll probably get a fine for driving a gas guzzling muscle car

for the life of me I can't think of one reasonable use for this technology. Here wave smart engineers working on this rubbish when there are legitimate problems that need to be solved.

Who is the customer here? Has to be the government, so I guess thats smart since they can throw money at things like "traffic signal vehicle velocity control devices" or some such nonsense

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Umm...

This has already come to fruition.

Its called: OnStar

Been around for years, capable of telling any vehicle equipped to shut down.
Slow down, unlock doors, anything electronically controlled...

Nothing new.

Don't like it? Disable it or buy an old car!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Ill stay driving my '65'. How about they worry about what they spend and less about what Im spending.

I pay for mine, and I pay for theirs... If anyone is getting cut off its them.

'The Coming Insurrection'

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Now if they would implement cell phone jamming devices into vehicles....

Ahhhh.....safer roadways!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

Most modern cars have the black box. But they are very expensive to access. They are usually only accessed in the case of serious and expensive crashes.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

OnStar already has technology similar to this, along with a handsfree communication system, that can be silently activated to listen in on your private conversations. Of course, you have to pay to use the service, but I'm sure that is TPTB wanted access to all those electrical goodies, they would.

The fact that IBM is pretending that this technology is just being invented is interesting. After all, what's being described is little more than the combination of the OnStar style technology coupled with installing WiFi type transponders in traffic signals.

The implications are clear to everyone on here.

The question we should be asking is: "Why is this information being made public?"

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by havok
Umm...

This has already come to fruition.

Its called: OnStar

Been around for years, capable of telling any vehicle equipped to shut down.
Slow down, unlock doors, anything electronically controlled...

Nothing new.

Don't like it? Disable it or buy an old car!

Very well put, F*&K OnStar, what an idiotic idea. What in the hell has happened to society, have we really become THAT stupid? If you file the UCC-1 and lay claim to all your property, the "government" can't touch it no matter what they claim. It's yours.

It's sad to see that soooo many people don't get it, the government/corporation owns you and all your property, you pay a lease fee and tax on it, a usury fee if you will. Undo what has been done, reclaim your strawman and stop the BS.

Until you do that, you will pay taxes, be arrested for nothing and be controlled like there is no tomorrow. Not me.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Oh nice. "We want big traffic jam today in NYC, Washington DC, and over all Arizona"!
Or it could be part of the "Get all old Fieros off the road" initiative!

top topics

join