It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proposal for member generated applause

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I propose that ATS come up with some method for members to award applause to other members who make excellent posts that really contribute to the quality of a thread.

Currently only Mods and Subject Matter Experts can award applause to other members.

I understand that this could be abused by some members to award their friends but I propose that members who wish to award an applause to another member would have to spend their ATS points in order to award the applause.

I recommend a cost of 5000 ATS points in order for a member to award the applause. Members can only spend points they actually have on applause and cannot go into the negative from awarding the applause.

This will keep members from awarding applause lightly. It also ensures that only experienced members who, hopefully have better judgment, will be able to afford to award applause to other members.

I personally have a butt load of ATS points sitting around idle and I cannot possibly think of any way I could spend them all. I think it would be great if I had the option of spending them to help out other members who have contributed to the quality of this forum.

[edit on 5/24/10 by FortAnthem]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Well WATS with ATS 2010 will be somewhat like that.

Basically before it allowed people 3 votes a month on a particular post or thread and then it was tallied and those people were given special awards.

I dunno the specifics as I wasn't around, but that's what I've been told.

I would like to have a way to applause a member, although stars kind of take that role now.

Perhaps we could have an Applause button for members, but you only get 1 applause per, let's say 25 members who click it?

Overall, definetly a great idea. I get kind of tired of the Flag/Star system. I want something new...

~Keeper

[edit on 5/24/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Too many people are in Cliques , where they would be Applauding each

other.

Then , there are some members, thankfully, who make "unpopular" threads

or take "unpopular" stances. These are neccesary for this Site to have the

opposing views. They would not be applauded.

Let's leave the buddy backslapping outta this.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sean48

other.

That's why I propose a cost of 5000 ATS points in order to award applause. Slapping your buddy on the back would cost too many points and hopefully, this would discourage the practice.

I believe that by making the applause cost the person giving the applause a lot of ATS points would make a member think twice before awarding the applause and would make the applause really mean something to the person who recieved it.

As for people who create unpopular threads, there are still the Mods and Subject Matter Experts to award them, plus; with the wide diversity of views here on ATS, someone is likely to appreciate their views and award them anyway.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I think the current system works well eventhough I only have 3 applause.

Thats not why I am here.

We should be here to shine the light on truth, and debunk fiction.

Points, Flags, stars, and applause; this is not a popularity contest.

If it were I would have been long gone.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I actually think that is a pretty neat idea, especially with the 5,000 point safeguard you set up.

I still have some reservations, though. Why is the star system not suitable for this? It's free and any member can give them.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

That's why I propose a cost of 5000 ATS points in order to award applause. Slapping your buddy on the back would cost too many points and hopefully, this would discourage the practice.

Ha! yeah this way would definitely tell you who your true friends are. Interesting concept Fort, I too have points to squander, however to drop 5000 on a thread. Shoot, that thread had best be able to do the dishes and laundry
...Seriously though, if a thread was that good, I would indeed drop 5 g's on it.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
well here's and Idea that i think would be fair.
The member applause system could be tied to the star system.

If you have a single comment on a post the receives 20 + stars that could = 1 applause.

That would prevent all but the best comments receiving applause.

For a new thread the threshold should be 40 + stars.

just my .02

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
I actually think that is a pretty neat idea, especially with the 5,000 point safeguard you set up.

I still have some reservations, though. Why is the star system not suitable for this? It's free and any member can give them.

I just think that star system is overrated. I think the problem is it's free and anybody can just give on out.

I think it's nice to be recognized and rewarded for a great post, and somebody spending 5k points is sure to REALLY agree with that person, and they get an applause.

I know I like it when I get the U2U for an applause, I'm not a fame whore or anything, but it's nice to get rewarded for quality posting and hard work in a member driven environment.

It's certainly not a popularity contest on any level. Recognition doesn't automatically mean that.

~Keeper

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
If a fellow member makes an extraordinary post I will usually send them a private U2U acknowledging and thanking them. It has happened a couple of times that a fellow member has extended this courtesy to me and it has meant to me just as much as an "official" applause.

Not really sure what a metric accounting for member popularity would achieve other than sore feelings. Not knocking the idea per se ... just saying that there's no counting the ways and "things" that some folks get vexed about on the ATS.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Why? Then we have another system to add to the flags and stars. They wouldn't be worth as much points you know that. Big raspberry for this idea.
I think the balance is fine. Applause should be rare. Besides you prolly still
wouldn't get any.
But if you feel left out.

feel better?

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Just to play the devil's advocate, the 5,000 point rule would pretty much exclude all but those members who post the most and have been around the longest to have accumulated those kind of points. And what of those members whose activity here is more reading than posting? They would not be allowed to acknowledge any outstanding posts outside of the current star & flag system. This would be exclusionary to many members.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Actually members can already applaud other members indirectly. There have been a few times that I have sent a U2U to a mod or super mod about a post that I thought was worthy of applause and why I felt so.

Sometimes they receive the applause and sometimes they do not, but I will bet even money that the mod looked at the post in question and considered the option.

Another option would be to use the ALERT button and clearly state your reasons, however keep in mind mods are busy keeping the boards tidy and that method will place a little extra work on them.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I don't see giving applause as a popularity contest. To me it is a way to reward and encourage those who have made a positive contribution to the discussions on this site.

I personally would be more inclined to give applause to new members in order to encourage them to keep up the good work. Older members with lots of flags I would be less inclined to give applause to, they already have plenty of recognition.

If this system was put into effect, I would prefer that we could award the applause anonymously. I would feel awkward having another member know I had given them the applause.

I think the Mods should be able to track who gives applause to other members in order to catch abuse of the system.

Just to play the devil's advocate, the 5,000 point rule would pretty much exclude all but those members who post the most and have been around the longest to have accumulated those kind of points. And what of those members whose activity here is more reading than posting?

I think this would be proper. The members who post the most would have a better idea of what constitutes an excellent post. They would be the best and most impartial judges of what deserves applause.

I just want to add; this is not about me wanting to get more applause from other members, it is about me wanting to reward others who have made good posts and put some of my ATS points to good use.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
To curb abuse (and without a major point cost), you could also give one 'givable' applause to certain qualified members every month. This would make building up your 'friends' tedious and undesirable. It would also make seeking out that perfect post more desirable knowing you only have one to give.

This, with the point cost, could possibly produce an honest outcome.

[edit on 5/24/10 by Tharsis]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tharsis
To curb abuse (and without a major point cost), you could also give one 'givable' applause to certain qualified members every month. This would make building up your 'friends' tedious and undesirable. It would also make seeking out that perfect post more desirable knowing you only have one to give.

This, with the point cost, could possibly produce an honest outcome.

[edit on 5/24/10 by Tharsis]

That's a great idea, it would also prevent members from blowing all of their points in one day.

Like I said, I would like to keep it anonymous, this would prevent people from using it to build up their "friends" list.

[edit on 5/24/10 by FortAnthem]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sean48

other.

Then , there are some members, thankfully, who make "unpopular" threads

or take "unpopular" stances. These are neccesary for this Site to have the

opposing views. They would not be applauded.

Let's leave the buddy backslapping outta this.

I have to say I have picked up a lot of applause from Staff Members for taking the Devil's advocate role on in some very contentious issues.

Roman Polanski a saint I tell you!

Kennedy was a traitor and deserved to die.

That little trollop orphan annie murdered her parents I say.

Jeffery Dahmler simply had food alergies that limited his dining choices!

Iran is the model nation for a true utopian society.

Even other members appreciate someone who will debate the unpopular side of the issue well.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I quite like the idea of either having to use ATS Points or having a certain number of flags/stars equivalent to an applause. It'll just have to be very high though.

I gotta say the stars/flag system doesn't really matter to me but it does feel nice when someone does appreciate your post/work.

top topics

join