It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy World Turtle Day 2010

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c69effe3c4c6.jpg[/atsimg]

Celebrate World Turtle Day

Turtles are one of the most endearing and symbolic of America's native wildlife. Turtles not only fascinate each passing generation of children, who find endless wonders under those hard shells, but they also continue to serve as a timeless role model in children's literature: the slow and steady turtle, whose patient progress always wins out against his fast but feckless competitor.

Yet the turtles' lofty status hasn't prevented humans from abusing the creature. In fact, all land, freshwater, and sea turtles are facing imminent threats to their survival, simply because of human activities. Turtles are the reptile most affected by the pet trade, not to mention the food and traditional medicine industries. Many turtle species also suffer from the effects of pollution as well as from the destructive effects of industrial fishing operations.

Article Continued

----

World Turtle Day Sees Satellite Turtle Tracking System Go Live

Marine turtles are one of the longest living groups of animals to have ever existed, but human activities have placed them under increasing pressure. Across the Middle East and around the world these ancient creatures are today threatened, mostly through habitat loss and unintentional capture in fisheries, leaving them in dire need of conservation action.

On ‘World Turtle Day’, May 23rd, Emirates Wildlife Society-WWF, is launching a three year satellite tracking project to better understand their biological and conservation needs. Focusing on the endangered Hawksbill turtle, (listed as Critically Endangered by the IUCN Red List), the project will follow up to 100 post-nesting female turtles from the UAE, Qatar, Oman, Iran and Saudi Arabia.

Data collected from the satellite tracking programme will be used to help local and regional agencies identify the critical overseas migration routes and near-shore habitats favoured by the turtles. This will consequently help management and conservation authorities with their decisions and activities.

Commenting on the launch, Lisa Perry, Program Director, EWS-WWF, stated, “The goal of the Marine Turtle Conservation Project is to implement a comprehensive research and satellite tracking programme that will enable us to protect marine turtles of the Gulf and wider region. To do this we will combine scientific research and monitoring, with environmental awareness centred on marine turtle protection, resulting in the long-term conservation of these animals and their habitat.”

Article Continued..

----

According to Native American lore, the turtle symbolizes strength, longevity, and perseverance. And now the quiet and gentle animal has its own day on the calendar: May 23, which is this Sunday.

World Turtle Day was started a decade ago by American Tortoise Rescue, a nonprofit that works to protect all tortoise and turtle species. The yearly tradition celebrates turtles and encouraging people to learn more about how to protect the ancient reptiles.

To celebrate the day, why not spend May 23 outdoors, check out a few library books about turtles, or send a free turtle-themed e-card? There’s even a fun online quiz that can reveal your famous turtle alter-ego. However, our friends at the Humane Society hope that you remember turtle and tortoise species every day; they provide 12 ways to help protect these graceful creatures throughout the year.

Source

----

With all of the devastation that is going on in the Gulf, and the damage done to one of my personal favorite animals- the Sea Turtle- I think it is important to focus on life, and the beautiful wonders all around us, despite the overwhelming urge to feel blue. Today is World Turtle Day, 2010.

Feel free to post your experiences.. favorite photos.. videos.. whatever, lets just focus on the beauty and joy that turtles bring to the world!

The birth of the thread with the birth of a Sea Turtle..

Peace.

EDITED: Special thank you to Uberl33t for pointing out it is not Word Turtle Day.. but in fact.. World Turtle Day!

Word Turtle day is NEXT Sunday..

[edit on 23-5-2010 by broahes]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by broahes

Turtles are awesome! Save the turtles!

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

Yes they are!

Some interesting facts about turtles and tortoises:

Turtles have been on the earth for more than 200 million years. They evolved before mammals, birds, crocodiles, snakes and even lizards.

The earliest turtles had teeth and could not retract their heads, but other than this, modern turtles are very similar to their original ancestors.

Several species of turtles can live to be over a hundred years of age including the American Box Turtle.

One documented case of longevity involves an adult Indian Ocean Giant Tortoise that when captured as an adult was estimated to be fifty years old. It then lived another 152 years in captivity.

Turtles live on every continent except Antarctica.

Turtles will live in almost any climate warm enough to allow them to complete their breeding cycle.

While most turtles don't tolerate the cold well, the Blanding's turtle has been observed swimming under the ice in the Great Lakes region.

Turtles range in size from the 4-inch Bog Turtle to the 1500 pound Leathery Turtle.

North America contains a large variety of turtle species but Europe contains only two species of turtles and three species of tortoises.

The top domed part of a turtle's shell is called the carapace and the bottom underlying part is called the plastron.

The shell of a turtle is made up of 60 different bones all connected together.

The bony portion of the shell is covered with plates (scutes) that are derivatives of skin and offer additional strength and protection.

Most land tortoises have high domed carapaces that offer protection from the snapping jaws of terrestrial predators. Aquatic turtles tend to have flatter more aerodynamically shaped shells. An exception to the dome-shaped tortoise shell is the pancake tortoise of East Africa that will wedge itself between narrow rocks when threatened and then inflates itself with air making extraction nearly impossible.

Most turtle species have five toes on each limb with a few exceptions including the American Box Turtle of the carolina species that only has four toes and in some cases only three.

Turtles have good eyesight and an excellent sense of smell. Hearing and sense of touch are both good and even the shell contains nerve endings.

Some aquatic turtles can absorb oxygen through their skin on their neck and cloacal areas allowing them to remain submerged underwater for extended periods of time and enabling them to hibernate underwater.

Turtles are one of the oldest and most primitive groups of reptiles and have outlived many other species. One can only wonder if their unique shell is responsible for their success.

Source

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
My boy caught a turtle one day.

Like most of us have done, out came the shoebox and in went the turtle.

It wasnt until I began to research how to care for him that I realized we had in all likelyhood, by capturing and collecting this beautiful animal, sealed his fate.

I discovered most turtles, the little box turtles we see in our backyards, do not wander from the general area they are born. Once removed and then released elsewhere, the turtles usually die.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Turtles are cool
I too have caught a turtle once, well, really SAVED a turtle because the little thing was on the roads near the highway!

Informative thread, Broaches
Catch

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Thank you for sharing your story.. it is very relevant and I wish more people would do some research before just taking in a wild animal.. even if it is wounded. (not to fault you, I use to do the same thing without knowing). I feel it is better to let nature take it's course in most circumstances, but if you are going to take a wild animal in, it is better for both of you to know how to take care of it so that it can be released back into the wild.

Nature is best enjoyed in nature, not in the living room. Again, that isn't a rant on you for taking the turtle in.. it's just my opinion.

Thanks again for sharing your story with us.

Happy Turtle Day!

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I can't resist

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Go Turtles!!!!

Thanks for the thread!

I had a few turtles myself, but they were Florida Red-Eared.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/504c78b70e37.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c1b57dfaf475.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ec63d87ec1a9.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/85418f39e7dc.jpg[/atsimg]

Happy Turtle Day!!

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by broahes

EDITED: Special thank you to Uberl33t for pointing out it is not Word Turtle Day.. but in fact.. World Turtle Day!

Word Turtle day is NEXT Sunday..

Werd!

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by sandri_90

Your pictures aren't showing up. ATS has been a little funny with the pictures disappearing for the past few hours, maybe that's what it is. Can anyone else see them? Regardless, thanks for posting them.. I'm sure I'll enjoy when they show up.

Edit to say:

There they are!

I liked the last one myself.. baby turtles are the shiznit!

[edit on 23-5-2010 by broahes]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Hey kid, but turtles don't like you!

Funny kid. Thanks

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Hey Broahes, great thread S+F

Turtles are great... I was snorkelling in the Caribbean a few years ago and had the pleasure of swimming alongside one... for about 5 seconds... they are faster than they look

[edit on 27-5-2010 by Muckster]

new topics

top topics

join