It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extradition of computer hacker Gary McKinnon put on hold

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Extradition of (UFO) computer hacker Gary McKinnon put on hold

www.guardian.co.uk

McKinnon admitted to hacking into 97 computers in the US defence department and Nasa from his London flat, and said he was looking for evidence of UFOs between 2001-2.

Despite a lengthy legal battle and strong public support for the Free Gary campaign, McKinnon has so far failed in his seven-year fight against extradition.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 5/23/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
It seems like he's getting a last minute reprise, with the new government coming in.

Things like this are hard to deal with I guess. He committed this crime in both the UK and the USA, because of the global nature of the net.

I think it would be better to just punish him in the UK.

I wonder if he ever found anything interesting on UFO's, I know he made some claims, but it could just be to add an angle to the court case.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 5/23/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by harpsounds

This is excellent news. He was just a fall guy for incompetent IT staff who left military & NASA PCs with no password!

Just type 'Gary McKinnon' into the ATS search feature & you'll soon discover what he found.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
He said he found information saying things such as "this world agents", "space agents", that and he discovered that the us/nasa has a "mother ship" in space and people live and work up there.. I dont remember it fully.. However, what he did wasn't really that serious and he couldnt of found that much because the military uses a different type of internet than public, so i doubt he had the capability to hack anything with a single computer worth any relevance, china, jorea, russia and other countries try and hack the us daily as the us tries them so if a single guy with a pc was able to do this than what have other countries been able to get, with a lot more resources and a lot more brighter minds.. .. my opinion

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by harpsounds
He committed this crime in both the UK and the USA, because of the global nature of the net.

No. He committed the crime when he was in the UK.

Virtual locations can't trump physical locations.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

Originally posted by harpsounds
He committed this crime in both the UK and the USA, because of the global nature of the net.

No. He committed the crime when he was in the UK.

Virtual locations can't trump physical locations.

I think he committed it in both. He attacked a USA target. However because he was physically in the UK, I think it's fine and maybe desirable to deal with him there.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that once its all said and done the extradition will be completely called off and instead of standing trial in the UK he will be released without punishment at which point he will fade into obscurity.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I think this is good news and clearly the new Government has a hand in this. If you are from the UK I would recommend you read the Coalition Agreement The Coalition agreement- opens as a PDF

If you refer to section 6. Crime and Policing, it states:

We will review the operation of the Extradition Act - and the US/UK extradition treaty - to make sure it is even-handed.

I image that while this commitment is seen through all high profile extradition cases will be slowed. It is particularly interesting to see explicit mention of the US/UK arrangement as there has been criticism that the UK “gives, gives, gives” and the US “takes, takes, takes” i.e. little reciprocity.

Ho hum

Regards

new topics

top topics

join