It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Austerity is starting in America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Well this was just a question of when not if.

Birmingham Mayor William Bell announces 10 percent pay cut for city employees

Birmingham city employees will get a 10 percent pay cut under a cost-saving plan proposed by Mayor William Bell today. Those cuts will be a part of Bell's proposed 2011 budget to be presented at Tuesday's City Council meeting, and should save the city $15 million to $20 million, the mayor said.

And that's nothing compared to what's coming. It will spread to most cities, if not all, and state governments and federal government... And the pensions...

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Good the sooner we get rid of all the government dead weight the better! Course they would never consider using the billions they have in CAFR Funds...

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

They also do it in Canada. Employees are cut, but their bosses receive millions in bonuses for being able to cut spendings... What I prefer most is when they receive bonuses after slacking a few hundred employees and showing a deficit in all aspect of their businesses.
I'LL stop here or I'll swear big juicy words...

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
? where have you been?

This has been going on for a while. In florida they've been chopping at school budgets and other budgets for a while now.
Pretty soon it will hit police and other vital public resources.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Watch TSHTF when they start cutting entitlement programs across the nation. IT is going to have to be done for this huge debt to ever be offset.
Everyone knows what is is going to take,most people are just afraid to face the facts. It will be a rough time for most everyone,and there will probably end up with blood in the streets. A third generation entitlement society is unsustainable!!

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Is not surprises we have been telling in the Market data thread that the downfall of Americans economy will start with the states first as they will start to do cuts to the point that when no more federal funding is given they will declare bankruptcy.

But as usual as long as the Welfare checks and SS checks are in the mails people will not understand how bad is getting for the individual states to keep working.

Even those that received pension checks as long as something comes in the mail will not complain.

America is been prop littler by littler to live with less, expect less and accept lower standards of living.

And is falling all into the states now to start this trend.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

But as usual as long as the Welfare checks and SS checks are in the mails people will not understand how bad is getting for the individual states to keep working.

Marge, the unions that speak for the Federal employees have pressed & gotten pay raises that are ~on average~ 34% higher for govt employees than what is paid to contract/for hire employees in the publlic sector---they also get 50% better guaranteed retirements, 100% better health coverage...

Your attacks on the (sizeable) number of people on entitlements [as in SS]
is a reactionary thought,
lets instead, cut down or completely put out all the easy-going people that don't really need or require the $100Billion per month in Food-Stamps

(my SS checks are below the poverty level with my retirement SS payment - i still make less than a minimum wage person !) And i'm just an example of the 'Average' SS payment...very few of us collect the MAX

please direct you anger at the banksters/ legislators/ lobbyists/market manipulators/ that are causing the hardship needs to millions of Americans that want to have jobs but dont,
because the profits/funds are being directed to 'bonuses' and the fraud shysters that are milking-the-system!
leaving the rightious SS entitlement people looking like jerks that feed at the public water hole...

come-on, you let me down with that post, which is soooooo unlike you

[edit on 21-5-2010 by St Udio]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

You still don't get it, the last thing to go, Udio is will be your SS checks and welfare checks when everything else is already been gone.

Is a step by step process get it . . .

You got it wrong I am not angry at people that receive government help, I am angry at the fact that the only reason the government is keeping people from taking note of what is going on is as long as that help is still there.

But like I say again, littler by littler the conditioning of living with less, expect less and lower standard of living is going on.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

Marge, the unions that speak for the Federal employees have pressed & gotten pay raises that are ~on average~ 34% higher for govt employees than what is paid to contract/for hire employees in the public sector---they also get 50% better guaranteed retirements, 100% better health coverage...

I know exactly what you are talking about, I am sorry you think even think I am attacking people on governemnt help.

You know I also warned that is another bill in congress that is going to go as a bailout for union workers and government employees that belong to unions is a payback, meanwhile states are cutting on everything else but is not going to end there, this whole pony show is to have that bill passed in congress.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
You guys are the laughing stock of the world. You're like drunk sailors with low IQs and a credit card.

Get your house in order and live within your means. If you were an individual you'd be an F credit rating and banned from any loans.

Does anyone in the US have the ability to show leadership and hard decisions anymore?

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Ellsworth

The problems being discussed here are not unique to the US. The entire western world is in the same boat.

Btw, the majority of people who are receiving social security have paid into this system for decades--so they should be entitled to get at least some of their money back. But the social security system is a government run ponzi scheme. The SS trust has been raided by Congress for decades, so that its obligations can only be paid by getting more suckers to pay into the system--as a matter of coercion and law. Its a government sanctioned and enforced multi-trillion dollar ponzi scheme, much worse than Bernie Madoffs--and like all ponzi schemes it will inevitably collapse.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
heres what i dont get. illegal aliens use the social security depot. retail businesses give fake social security numbers to illegal aliens, so they can get a paycheck. regardless, thier using i dont know, fake or someone who has died, thier social security number? either way, their paying into it with unauthorized fake numbers...where is that money going then? its not fair too you and me, legal tax paying citizens*

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
It's about time some governments in the US start living within their means.

Those in power know that there will be a need for austerity, and the incumbents are having the last laugh. They spent like drunken sailors, wait nix that, like lottery winners thinking they could never go broke. Well, it's your money they're spending, and they're not only spending your money, they've taken out credit cards in your name and have maxed them out.

The incumbents spent future money and pulled a fast one on the next wave of politicians coming in.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ellsworth
You guys are the laughing stock of the world. You're like drunk sailors with low IQs and a credit card.

You know, that would really piss me off if it werent so damn true.

I do wonder how hard "the world" will be laughing when its their turn. And it will be.

top topics

join