It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six men get ready for 520-day simulated Mars trip

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Six men get ready for 520-day simulated Mars trip

ca.news.yahoo.com

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Six men from Russia, Europe and China are preparing to spend 520 days together in a sealed-off warren to take a simulated trip to Mars to test how long isolation would affect humans.

On June 3, three Russians, an Italian-Colombian, a Frenchman and a Chinese man will be locked up in a set of cramped compartments as the record-breaking Mars500 simulated flight to the Red Planet gets underway to last until November 2011.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Now this is pretty cool !

It is reported that the Russians will head this operation , which is not surprising considering there Cosmonauts have logged more space time than any other nation's Astronauts , if I am not mistaken .

I wonder , will news such as this prompt the U.S to get back into the " space race " ?

ca.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
What are the precautionary measures they would be taking?? How long could one stay in a room with 6 dudes? haha a week at best............. Sick post none the less.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
So I wonder will we ever be going to the moon? or are we just going to skip it and go on to the other planets? very exciting news nonetheless

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Already discussed here ESA Simulation to Mars

Its quite fascinating still.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I applaud them for their courage to help humanity as a whole push through the last of our space hurdles that prevent us from stepping foot on other planets.

However, you'd think they could have gotten this information from a prison and their inmates that are put in solitary confinement already. I don't think I could make it for 520 days in that small of space with 5 other guys. We would have to have more space, a physical activity or sport to play, and some really scrumptious food and drink to go along with our daily spaceship tasks. And could they please put some women on the ship!!?

It still sounds like a cool trip though. At 250 days through they will reach Mars and three of the men will land on a simulated surface. I wonder how much they are spending to make it really look like Mars? I still don’t think I could do it if I knew it was staged. I could do the real mission maybe, but all that just to simulate space travel and be closely watched by 3+ counties doesn’t sound that intriguing.

What if one man can't handle the pressure of being withheld from society for that long and he absolutely demands to be let out because he knows it is a staged simulation. Would they let him out? Would it compromise the the entire mission and set the program back another 18 months?

The Europeans, Russians, and Chinese are all going to be watching and documenting the footage. Just being observed individually that long in that small of space could psychologically dismember your brain and drive you insane. I think in the next 10-20 years we will have increased our space travel speed by at least 50%. There are engines being tested that could get us to Mars in just over a month. A voyage of two years would no longer be needed.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 20-5-2010 by tooo many pills]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
double
[edit on 20-5-2010 by tooo many pills]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Sounds like the next season of Big Brother.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by CanadianDream420]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Well, it's been over a month now... have they hit cruising speed yet?

"Welcome to Mars express: only a three hour trip"
news.scotsman.com...

[edit on 7/10/2010 by Larryman]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I give it no more than 6 days before the Russian and Chinese men attempt to kill the Frenchman for refusing to do anything unless they speak French and wanting to only work 5 hours a day.
......I can see it now....the Frenchman saying every time they want to get some work done...."Today...no!....tomorrow...mmmm..perhaps!"

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo
I give it no more than 6 days before the Russian and Chinese men attempt to kill the Frenchman for refusing to do anything unless they speak French and wanting to only work 5 hours a day.
......I can see it now....the Frenchman saying every time they want to get some work done...."Today...no!....tomorrow...mmmm..perhaps!"

France != USA .

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
High protein meals+6 Men in small enclosed area = A massive natural gas buildup

There better be some heavy duty air cleaners in the joint.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Does anyone still remember these guys, and their simulated voyage to Mars? Has anyone checked to see if they are still alive in that simulator can? I wonder if they are thinking that they should have used Burkhard Heim's propulsion?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
January 21, 2011 - Mission Update:

"520-Day Flight Simulation Nears 'Landing' on Mars"
abcnews.go.com...

Now if we divide that 520-days by the 3-hours Earth-Mars transit time afforded by the Extended Heim Theory propulsion physics...

"Travel to Mars in Three Hours"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

...how many transits would that be, to their single transit?

edit on 1/21/2011 by Larryman because: (no reason given)

top topics

join