It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Omega-3: Fishy claims for fish oil

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Omega-3: Fishy claims for fish oil

www.newscientist.com

IF I told you that one cheap pill could boost your brain power, protect you from heart disease and cancer, and even alleviate depression, all with no known side effects, would you want it? Who wouldn't?

You've probably heard of the pill's main ingredient: omega-3, a substance found in fish oil and other natural products (see diagram). If the flood of headlines and adverts from food and supplement manufacturers are to be believed, you need only boost your intake of omega-3 and all these benefits will be yours.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Which Health Supplements Are Backed by Science?

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Claims for the Omega 3 fatty acids and fish oil have been exaggerated somewhat and some of the studies are certainly questionable. This NS article calls many of these claims to question.

I'm a huge fan of fish oil tablets for both humans, dogs and most other animal species. Here in Alaska in winter if a person doesn't take fish oil (FO) or something your skin cracks and sores erupt on the fingers and soles. The local talk show Doc recommends six one gm. tab/day/person. I recommend 3 to 6 a day for dogs for skin, joint or inflammation problems.

The NS article calls in question the claims about heart disease prevention.

"It might work in some groups of people, but not necessarily for all," Lee Hooper says.

But to counter Hooper a large study by WHO, Would Health Org. concluded:

"We concluded that the evidence is somewhere between probable and convincing that omega-3s can protect you from cardiovascular disease."

Studies have shown that people who eat FO are less depressed.

Germans, he found, eat less than 10 kilograms of fish per person per year, and 5 per cent are depressed. By contrast, the Japanese eat around 65 kilograms, and less than 1 per cent of them are depressed. This has led some researchers to suggest that omega-3 supplements could be used to cure depression.

Does taking FO make adults or kids smarter some studies have said yes, this article says there was to significant difference when larger studies with placebos were done.

What about joint pain? I have long said that Omega 3s reduce joint pain for both humans and dogs. This study concurs:

"There is evidence that omega-3s' anti-inflammatory properties remove morning stiffness and reduce the amount of anti-inflammatory drugs needed," said Hooper

Are Omega 3s importand for development of fetal brain and eyes, absolutely! But this article claims pregnant mothers can make enough Omega 3 from ALA so don't require supplementation. My point is why take the chance?

Here is what the article concludes:

Even if evidence does eventually emerge to suggest that boosting your baseline level of omega-3s can provide clear-cut health and lifestyle benefits, it's highly unlikely that there would be enough fish to provide omega-3s for the planet's burgeoning population. And Sanders thinks it's probably fine to rely on our natural capacity for converting omega-3s from plants into the long-chain omega-3s that fish oil is so rich in.

So just rely on your body's natural ability to convert ALA to EPA and DHA and don't worry! And don't go fishing and endanger those dwindling fish species!

Excuse me while take a fish oil .... just in case he is wrong!

BTW 1000 1 gm fish oil caps are under $10 at Costco!

www.newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Fish Oil is obviously not a cure all supplement but it does have benefits.

I started taking fish oil daily and found that it helped my skin look better and also greatly reduced the pain in my knees when I run.

Could be a placebo effect but I think I'll keep taking them

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
In the form of Lovaza, it is a prescription medication, it is authorized by the FDA for the control of abnormal lipid levels.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TV_Nation
Fish Oil is obviously not a cure all supplement but it does have benefits.

I started taking fish oil daily and found that it helped my skin look better and also greatly reduced the pain in my knees when I run.

Could be a placebo effect but I think I'll keep taking them

I agree. Regardless of what some claims are, one thing is certain, Omega-3 IS good for you.

For knee pain, or joint pain in general, I recommend taking Glucosamine Hydrochloride or Glucosamine Sulfate. I started taking that stuff about a year ago and it's fantastic.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

Excellent OP, my friend; FO is also used to help lower cholesterol levels, and I heartily agree that it does help with my achy joints and stiffness.

Good talking to you again.

seeker

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

I started taking fish oil daily and found that it helped my skin look better and also greatly reduced the pain in my knees when I run. Could be a placebo effect but I think I'll keep taking them

You're results are to be expected. Here's an early experience I had:

I started taking FO winters because I wash my hands a lot and get nasty cracks around the nails and thumb due to thickening and hardening of the epithelium in our dry 10% winter humidity. So when I ran into a local greenhouse worker friend with very cracked, dry and inflamed hands from his work I recommended 6 FO tablets a day. After only a month his hands were healed and he thanked me for my recommendation!

One of the problems that women complain about is a bad fishy taste after taking the tablets but that can be alleviated by taking peppermint flavored fish tablets which are also widely available. Not often a problem for some reason with men.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Regardless of whether the studies are 100% conclusive, I continue to believe that Omega-3 and fish oil (as well as flaxseed oil) is of more benefit than less. However, I don't completely trust the the capsules. I think the use of oils directly, are likely much better quality and of much better health benefit over all.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I understand the skepticism, as in the health field, it should be prevalent.

You can find a group of scientists who sill say just about anything, and you can also find a group that will refute their claims.

That being said, fish itself has served to provide a wonderful diet to those fortunate enough to have access to it in it's fresh state. Whether or not the oil provides the beneficial aspect of a fishy diet remains to befuddle me.

I do agree with Skadi, capsules are further and further from the ideal state of the oil.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

For knee pain, or joint pain in general, I recommend taking Glucosamine Hydrochloride or Glucosamine Sulfate. I started taking that stuff about a year ago and it's fantastic.

Right on!

My standard recommendation for humans with sore joints is 1000 to 1500 mg of whatever glucosaminoglycan product (eg. glucosamine HCL or sulfate, condroitin, MSM may be included) and 6 to 12 FO daily depending on need and tolerance. For dogs, 500 to 1000mg glucosamine product and 2 to 6 FO tabs. These are tolerated well by nearly all dogs. Dogs take the FO tabs as treats!

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

However, I don't completely trust the the capsules. I think the use of oils directly, are likely much better quality and of much better health benefit over all.

I've had the same concern, but most of these tablets are USP or pharmaceutical quality and they do contain antioxidants to keep the fats from oxidation which is the main concern IMO. Oxidized fats are quite toxic and the capsules minimize oxidation along with the tocopherol or antioxidant.
I've taken and sold the Costco tablets for at least 15 yrs and never had a problem with the possible exception that if they darken due to age, we toss them.

Some people don't live near a salmon stream or an ocean!

[edit on 20/5/10 by plumranch]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadiHowever, I don't completely trust the the capsules. I think the use of oils directly, are likely much better quality and of much better health benefit over all.

I won't take the capsules because the oil inside could be rancid and you'd never know. Omega-3s work. I'm not going to argue with a debunker on this one. I don't care if you don't take them.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

I think the use of oils directly, are likely much better quality and of much better health benefit over all.

Source or research article please.
I'm not doubting you, I just want the best nutrition for me and my family.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I have been supplementing my post-workout fruit smoothies with hemp protein. It is full of Omega 3's, 6's, & 9's, fiber, and some other goodies.

Leave the fishies alone and eat your weed

Q. Why is hemp so nutritious?
A. Hemp oil contains the most essential fatty acids (EFAs) of any nut or seed oil, with the omega-3 and omega-6 EFAs occurring in the nutritionally optimal 1:3 ratio.
- nutiva.com - Hemp FAQ (Full disclosure: This company sells hemp protein, I don't have an unbiased source)

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I know this can't be proven scientifically but...
I have found that when I take Omega 3, I can swim much faster, farther and longer.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

I know this can't be proven scientifically but...
I have found that when I take Omega 3, I can swim much faster, farther and longer.

Something about that statement seems.....FISHY

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyTHSeed
I have been supplementing my post-workout fruit smoothies with hemp protein. It is full of Omega 3's, 6's, & 9's, fiber, and some other goodies.

Another good reason to legalize cannabis.

The seeds alone provide this benefit. There are some stores that sell cereal with the hemp seeds in a form of granola: Nature's Path: Hemp Plus

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by plumranch
reply to post by TV_Nation

One of the problems that women complain about is a bad fishy taste after taking the tablets but that can be alleviated by taking peppermint flavored fish tablets which are also widely available. Not often a problem for some reason with men.

Funny, the problem I had was that I was all of a sudden too...oily. I think this might have something to do with the fact my diet is already pretty rich in the stuff.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
alaska of corse you need more oil up there its a dry very cold cold thats why the escomos eat whale blubber so much keeps oil on the skin protecting it from the biting cold chaped skin
a little anyware else jsut a copple sardins will do it here in fl

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

Whale blubber, mmmmm. Nothing like a chunk of mukluk, I love that stuff. Wonder if any one has studied Omega-3 in that or seal oil (also popular with AK natives)

As far as capsules, I am lucky enough to have a supply of fish year round, so I don't need a chain store.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join