It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists have created the world's first synthetic life form

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Well it wasnt long Until the Fundels(Vatican ) ! Told a Warning to the Scientist
as they been doing this for the last 5+ millenniums to Stop!
Are We Not In GODS Image!!! Didnt God gave us Independent Minds !

Church warns cell scientists not to play God
news.yahoo.com...

I go for this ! Below!
( Watch Vid on the Site ) !!!
Venter: Artificial living cell will benefit humanity
news.bbc.co.uk...

The Fundamentalist ! are Going to do some Uprising ! as it seems !

im going to throw some Tags!! To Search !

Blade runner Replicant nexus 6 (Synthetic Human or Animal or Plant!) Dinosaurs Mythical Beast ! (Dragons Unicorns ) Island of Dr Morneu Genetic cures Cancer free Body parts Replacement or the BIO Brain Proteus IV Demon Seed Super Human , Plasmids ( Bio Shock )? Gattaca ( movie ) or any of these tag can go wrong ! in the Wrong hands !

Closing Pandora's Box or leaving it Wide Open ! ? its learning to control it ! is the big Issue !

[edit on 22-5-2010 by Wolfenz]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahmose
this s--- has been real, people.
this is only the first that the public gets to hear of it "officially".

Thats what I was thinking as well.

What is the gap between military - public knowledge.. close to 40 years or so for technology?

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
When they create life without the use of a living cell I'll start paying more attention. Until then they are simply the next Monsanto threat.

Where is all this genetic therapy they promised? Can they pull a bad tooth and then grow a new one? Can they turn off the aging gene or the fat storing gene. No of course not. Instead they make bio weapons and try to take over the food supply.

I doubt if these things would be available for a reasonable price if any thing of significance was developed. I sometimes wonder what secret technology is already rat holed away from the general public.

And if a slight bit of care was given to the oil drilling in the first place we wouldn't need any oil eating bacteria pipe dream. Why are we still burning oil any way? Insane.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 23-5-2010 by Doctor Smith]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doctor Smith
When they create life without the use of a living cell I'll start paying more attention. Until then they are simply the next Monsanto threat.

Where is all this genetic therapy they promised? Can they pull a bad tooth and then grow a new one? Can they turn off the aging gene or the fat storing gene. No of course not. Instead they make bio weapons and try to take over the food supply.

I doubt if these things would be available for a reasonable price if any thing of significance was developed. I sometimes wonder what secret technology is already rat holed away from the general public.

And if a slight bit of care was given to the oil drilling in the first place we wouldn't need any oil eating bacteria pipe dream. Why are we still burning oil any way? Insane.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 23-5-2010 by Doctor Smith]

its Funny that you said the Oil Spill! in this thread! here is a Quote from theMovie called Demon Seed based on the Book on the same name from Dean Koontz ! it goes along with this Thread Demon Seed a Synthetic Living Bio Brain Computer! Called Proteus IV ! instead of metal (colbalt) replace it with Oil and youll get the meaning and dont forget the Wildlife Preserves 2 of them at the Location of the Spill !

A Brief of Proteus IV

Proteus 4 is, as its creator Dr. Alex Harris describes it:"...synthetic cortex. Self-programming, goal-oriented artificial brain. Creative intelligence that can out think any man or any computer. Its insides are not electronic. They're organic..." Read more: www.explore-science-fiction-movies.com...

Source
www.explore-science-fiction-movies.com...

I love this Quote !

Proteus IV: It means, I refuse this program for the mining of the Earth's oceans. The destruction of 1000 billion sea creatures to satisfy man's appetite for metal is insane.
Alex Harris: We need these things, Proteus. Now I know the environmental problems.
Proteus IV: Your employer's interests are in the cobalt market, doctor and the high finance of manganese futures. I am interested in the uncertain futures of seashores deserts and children.
Alex Harris: I refuse to accept your pessimism.
Proteus IV: You refuse to accept the truth. And I refuse to assist you in the rape of the Earth.

Read more at www.Explore-Science-Fiction-Movies.com: www.explore-science-fiction-movies.com...

Doctor Smith!!

[edit on 23-5-2010 by Wolfenz]

[edit on 23-5-2010 by Wolfenz]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I posted this news here not knowing it had been posted anywhere else on this site, other than in the Breaking Alternate News section. I stubled accross it on TED Talks and I certainly suggest that everyone watch the 18 min TED Talks video, found HERE where Craig Venter explains the team's breakthrough. The lifeform, nicknamed Mycoplasma mycoides JCVI-syn1.0, even has it's own website encoded using it's own DNA according to the TED flick....

www.jcvi.org... -- The J. Craig Venter Institute homepage...

www.jcvi.org... -- overview, FAQ etc.

www.jcvi.org... -- Press conference 20th May....

[edit on 24/5/2010 by Neo Christian Mystic]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I was just doing my daily browse through the BBC news website and stumbled across this article:

news.bbc.co.uk...

A top UK scientist who helped sequence the human genome has said efforts to patent the first synthetic life form would give its creator a monopoly on a range of genetic engineering.

Professor Sulston made the comments at the Royal Society in London where he was discussing a report entitled Who owns Science? The report was produced by the Institute of Science, Ethics and Innovation at Manchester University, which the professor chairs. The study details an increased use of patents by researchers...He believes that the over-use of patents is inhibiting research that could otherwise greatly benefit society, such as better healthcare for the poor.

Hit the proverbial nail on the proverbial head there Mr. Sulston.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by vagabondrobb
I was just doing my daily browse through the BBC news website and stumbled across this article:

A top UK scientist who helped sequence the human genome has said efforts to patent the first synthetic life form would give its creator a monopoly on a range of genetic engineering.

Yes,

Dr. Venter is about one of the LEAST ethical scientists working out in the private sector right now - just the kind of self serving maniac you DON"T want working on such paradigm changing technology such as this.

I think many of you who do not have a background in the biological sciences are underestimating the significance of this latest breakthrough.

No - it is not creating life from scratch - however add in donor eggs and the soon to be practical artificial wombs - and there will be almost no creature current, extinct, or imagined that will not be able to be created in a sufficently sophisticated bio-lab - anywhere on the planet.

While if Humans were of an agreeable nature - this would be heralded in as a new age of man - alongside the splitting of the atom - and man's other momentous achievements.

Even in that ideal case 17 layers of redundant protections would likely be needed to insure the survival of our current biosphere.

Now - give one the worlds greediest scientists this power - working in a field with no formal regulation - on a planet plaqued with petty inter-species conflicts - on the soil of the worlds most sophisticated military apparatus - and one can see how a worst case scenario is almost garaunteed!

I'm know luddite - but this could go south very quikly if we don;t take our Govt.'s back from the petty thieves and con-men who are currently looting the planet.

In this day and age - if you vote along party lines - then you have
completely lost your mind!

And - as for those who say the government has had this power for decades - perhaps - but I seriously doubt it - they aren't magically ahead in every field you know.

(though they are in many)

I wonder how long it will be until someone pattents a real Unicorn - that seems like a relatively straight forward engineering challenge - which will bring some upcoming entrepeneur a nice fortune!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthMagnet

Read a while back that there is a plan alive to clone a mammoth using genetic material found in Sibiria and using an African elephant host to bring it forth to life. Do we really want these creatures back? What will be next? The dragons of Jurassic Park?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
The T-Virus from Resident Evil of video game lore can now be created. Prepair for the zombiefication of the human species.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neo Christian Mystic
reply to post by TruthMagnet

Read a while back that there is a plan alive to clone a mammoth using genetic material found in Sibiria and using an African elephant host to bring it forth to life. Do we really want these creatures back? What will be next? The dragons of Jurassic Park?

Oh yes - the dinosaurs WILL be next in line - but soon even far worse than that!

However - my greatest concern would be the viruses or bacteria that they intend to bring to market - the potential for a massive die of of Humans, or other animals, is enormous!

(and that's not even considering the "accidental" relaease of intentionally weaponized creations)

Socially we are simply not yet ready for this particularly technology.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthMagnet

Socially we are simply not yet ready for this particularly technology.

Indeed. Maybe the scientists are ready, but the ones paying them obviously aren't, they still wage wars and spend way too much money protecting themselves from others who are doing the exact same thing. The day the world economy isn't relying on insane war spendage, weapons' trade, that day world politics will have reached the same level of development as the science behind this headline. As far from creating, let's say a new bird or for that matter a new kind of fly from scratch as these guys are, today's politicans are just as far from being capable of handling this technology positively without the risk of the "mad president" in terms of govening and handling foreign affairs.

If that Kim dude from NK can develop and stock nukes, what will stop anyone from creating something really bad from their kitchen table using a mere computer and relatively simple lab equipment. Today you could buy genes over the net and do most of what you have to with this tech, but then you'll have to buy the genes first. What then when all you need is to download a couple of megabytes from some rogue site to bring out the henta virus, just because you hated the world that day?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
great....

humans cant even care for the planet/animals we share it with (oil spill) and someone goes and creates an SBE?!

we humans do like to stumble alot dont we...

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djdoubt03
The T-Virus from Resident Evil of video game lore can now be created. Prepair for the zombiefication of the human species.

zombie plinking anyone?! if their gonna do it, it better be soon, cuz it will suck if they make zombies when im too old to go running around blasting them.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ahmonrarh

Dinosaurs are way out! Zombies are just out...

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ahmonrarh
great....

humans cant even care for the planet/animals we share it with (oil spill) and someone goes and creates an SBE?!

we humans do like to stumble alot dont we...

Well - I think - just like with disclosure - it's more complicated than that.

Our current politically systems - there are really just incremental improvements over our original tribal systems - where the most aggresive and ambitious (and sometimes the most amoral) tend to rise to the top of the pack.

The problem is - as Govt. became less directly accountable to "tribe" - more and more sociopaths and borderline psychopaths flourished in the new political heirarchies.

(where these types would have been deposed in the smaller - more directly accountable - tribal units)

I think we simply need to get the intelligent, altruistic, minority phenotypes into positions of power - and we will soon see the kind of greatly improved societies that are easily envisioned by everyone from ancient philosophers to modern science fiction authors.

Once in power, these neew, modern day, philosopher kings, will redesign the system to keep it positively balanced towards progress and equality of opportunity.

Then, and probably only then, will Humanity really be ready to embrace such truly transformational technologies such as the one announced here.

It simply requires the people to will it to be so!

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Firefly_

Why are there still humans that think they have the right to allow certain happenings on earth ....everything should happen ..it's not for us to decide what is to be and what not to be...it's controlled way beyond our intelligence....we are students of the Universe and should respect the outcomes.VALIATOR

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join