It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 10 Creationist Arguments

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SmokeandShadow

Yes but without evidence for the man in the beard why believe in him?

We can believe in the existence of chance because we see it plays a part in everything. Just like we can believe in the Big Bang because if we extrapolate the expanding Universe back we find the existence of a singularity some 14+ Billions of years ago.

When you have evidence to support it you have a reason to believe it. There is no evidence for God and everything we've ever studied has had a natural cause so it is a FAR better statement to claim the Universe arose by natural processes than to claim a sky daddy did it as it violates none of the scientific evidence.

We have the evidence to support Evolution too, mountains of it but Creationists just ignore it in favor of fairy-tales - Apparently they believe in a God who can use magical incantations to bring life forth instantaneously but not in one who an use natural processes to create life and bring about bio-diversity through evolution.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Actually, it's the caller that is clueless in that one.

Origins of the earth? Cosmogeny. Not evolution.
Transitional fossils? every fossil (every organism, in fact) is "transitional" (except in the case of clones)

etc.

Basically the caller is saying "I know nothing about evolution and will accept nothing you say, now convince me"

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Is anyone else getting tired of this endless intellectual (or lack thereof given the arrogance of both sides) war between atheists/non-believers and theists/believers.

I'm a believer you could say, agnostic-theist to be specific. How is this endless mocking of each other solving anything?

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by DeathShield

The mocking is purely cathartic.

However, there is a greater purpose. Do you want science classes in schools to be subject to censorship by unelected religious bodies? I don't. Do you want it to spread from there? Texas is already trying to "Christianize" its history textbooks, complete with slavery apologetics.

Silence on this topic from the science-minded, with the blind assumption that most people will accept presented facts, has led to this point, where a bunch of dumb, backwards, dangerous fanatics are doing htier best to make as many of your kids as possible into dumb, dangerous fanatics as well.

I'd like to imagine that if it were Wahhabist Muslims rather than Fundamentalist Christians, you'd be right here with the rest of us trying to keep science in science class.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by DeathShield

Well it does no harm for an atheist to mock a believer at all, though I definitely think it should be above both parties as far as ATS is concerned. I think most of what's going on in this thread is disagreeing. Being critical of a belief system is important, if we're not critical of what we believe than how do we know its true? And if Christians refuse to question their beliefs, well, that's what the rest of us are for

But a believer mocking an atheist is a violation of turn the other cheek. Plus the Bible says Christians will be persecuted, if anything they should enjoy it while it lasts, in Heaven there's going to be no conflict or pain, just endless sessions of bowing down, singing songs for a few million years at a time, etc.

Down in Hell we're gonna have naked volleyball on the shore of the Lake of Fire, Marilyn Monroe will be there

[edit on 21-5-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying don't dissent. Proclaim your beliefs loud and proud. Just be respectful others. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" is something that all people regardless of belief or faith can get behind.

Do you want science classes in schools to be subject to censorship by unelected religious bodies? I don't. Do you want it to spread from there? Texas is already trying to "Christianize" its history textbooks, complete with slavery apologetics.

But this is the problem. Religious people have not been 100% successful in doing the things you claim. Please explain to me why in a 76% christian nation (a nation that is only 15% atheistic) There is:

No federal ban on the teaching of evolution or other sciences deemed controversial.

No state mandated religion

No laws that punish non-christians

No state ran church

All laws that were in favor of christianity or anyother religion have been DEFEATED in a nation with a CHRISTIAN MAJORITY. And defeat of these laws have been supported by christians.

The fact of the matter is that religion is the cause of societies problems as much as atheism if for immorality and marijuana is for heroin usage.

This is the problem i ultimately see. Both sides are refusing to accept the weak points of their stances.

It's just that neither side can support their claims unless you can somehow prove a negative or if atheists will start accepting the COPIUS ammounts of anecdotal evidence as potential proof, or can offer a true scientific basis for their claims then they have no business in telling people that they are idiots. Until Theists and other believers can offer replicable evidence outside of isolated incidents (regardless of how many people claim to have witnessed said incidents). Both sides bash eachother for not having an open mind yet neither can definitively prove the other wrong. To make it worse you have what i would consider to be honest and good people on both sides going largely unheard because of the rampant cognitive biases that are being created and indoctrinated into the groups.

When i go to church i have to hear about how people without god are killing and murdering and doing other horrible things. When i hop on ATS or other websites i have to hear about how people who follow religions or believe in god are murdering and doing horrible things.

Where does this madness come from? Why hasn't any prominent leader in either side been able to say " hey howabout instead of villifying eachother we work for a common goal that we can all get behind.

Stand up against tyranny, stand up against hatred, but don't stand up against it just because religious or irreligious doctrine is being used to justify it.

This endless and futile game of " holier than thou" is what is going to destroy us. And it genuinely saddens me that there are people who look down on me because i think there might be a god, or that there might not be a god, and regardless of how well i argue my stance, regardless of any mutal agreement, they still insist that i am wrong, they are right and that i am a fool for not agreeing with them 100%

What is a thinking man to do when it is thinking that is being discouraged by both groups?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join