It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

question for home depot, and lowes.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I don't really know if there is any real "conspiracy" here or not (it may be some serious buisness decision that I don't really understand) but why do home depot or lowes not carry solar panels or any solar equipment other than some little garden lights?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Supply and demand, it's as simple as that. Some markets will tolerate solar panels and buy enough of them to make it profitable for the company. No conspiracy, unless capitalism is considered a conspiracy.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by president
I don't really know if there is any real "conspiracy" here or not (it may be some serious buisness decision that I don't really understand) but why do home depot or lowes not carry solar panels or any solar equipment other than some little garden lights?

Because no one buys it probably. My guess is, if you went up and asked Home Depot at their desk they would probably order it for you. I used to work at a Home Depot and they would special order just about anything for you.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by KILL_DOGG
Supply and demand, it's as simple as that. Some markets will tolerate solar panels and buy enough of them to make it profitable for the company. No conspiracy, unless capitalism is considered a conspiracy.

Yep, that is it.

They do however sell them online. You can also get free shipping for any order over $249.00.
Home Depot Solar Panels

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   

I agree here, and there is another component. Lowes and Home Depot only sell "consumer" grade building materials and products in most of their departments, because that is who their customers are. I found this out when I had to replace an electrical breaker that went bad in my business, which is in a commercial building. The breakers used in commercial applications are different from residential ones, and niether store sells them. I had to go to a commercial electrical supply to get one.

I doubt if the average weekend DIYer is going to have the knowledge to integrate a solar array into their home's electrical system.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
they are carrying it at Lowes now.

read this recent ATS thread on the subject.

Solar Energy Now at Lowes

they even offer to install it.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Well another thing... sorry I couldn`t help but notice your username... is that each location will probably stock different amounts of different items based on what is more likely to be best utilized in that particular location. That help any?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
It is actually kind of easy to wire the system in.

I am not going to tell how, it all depends on the system that you are installing and the system that is there.

But, to keep the warranty on the system, you will be required to hire a certified electrician in whatever country you are in.

Each country has different requirements and different specs.

Building codes vary state to state here in the US also.

Also, if your system produces more electricity than is used, you will have to check with your electrical supply company to see if your meter will work that way. You could get credit for the power created or several other possibilities. Like actually not even getting credit.

Here is something that someone should write a thread on. In California some dairy producers were creating methane electrical plants, the state decided these people would not get paid for the extra electricity produced.

Nice of your government huh?

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
Here is something that someone should write a thread on. In California some dairy producers were creating methane electrical plants, the state decided these people would not get paid for the extra electricity produced.

Nice of your government huh?

How about the farmers buy some poles and wire and sell it to their neighbors. You do advocate the economic libertarian POV, right?

I'm not attacking you on you libertarian leanings, I lean that way also, just not in quite the same way, as I have assumed from reading your posts.
You are still abandoning them in this case. It is not the position of the gov't to mandate that the utility buy anything from you. Just as you should not be mandated and regulated into buying from them.

ETA: You could choose to buy from your dairy farmer neighbor to supplement your homemade and/or utility electricity.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by sporkmonster]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by sporkmonster

A lot of the time, when a place is built, the government mandates the owner or purchaser pays for the installation of the electrical upgrades. Then the government turns over that ownership to their power agencies. I do not even know if you would be allowed to sell to a neighbor. I have built many sites and I know this is how it is done in at least a couple states.

As for the distribution or tying in to sell to the grid, I wonder if one could become licensed? Probably not.

Some animals are more equal than others.

Yes, I advocate going Libertarian, kinda hard to do that when it isn't allowed. Get caught and go to jail.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

I agree here, and there is another component. Lowes and Home Depot only sell "consumer" grade building materials and products in most of their departments, because that is who their customers are. I found this out when I had to replace an electrical breaker that went bad in my business, which is in a commercial building. The breakers used in commercial applications are different from residential ones, and niether store sells them. I had to go to a commercial electrical supply to get one.

I doubt if the average weekend DIYer is going to have the knowledge to integrate a solar array into their home's electrical system.

----I admit that I kind of thought that might be a factor, but they do sell plenty of regular electrical equipment so I think they are past the fear of liability of someone getting electrocuted.
And since they do sell plenty of electrical parts, all the way up to the circut breaker, a few panels and a converter does not sound too irrational.

tft reply

---thanks alaskan man.

----I am kind of in the Idea of "screw the grid." i want panels on my roof that can power my AC and refridgerator and maybe a propane furnace for heat in the winter when the sun is not strong enough to work the AC and you son't need it anyhow. come completely off the grid.

One house at a time until the method catches on and finally entire neighborhoods are off the grid and there are no more powerlines.

sorry, I work for a tree-triming company.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by president]

[edit on 20-5-2010 by president]

top topics

join