It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*CAUTION* Disturbing Footage - LIVE Cow is Fed to Five Hungry Tigers in Front of Tourists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Shocking moment LIVE cow is fed to five hungry tigers in front of tourists

Source

Visiting a wildlife park is often an opportunity to witness nature up close.

But imagine one group of tourist's surprise when several hungry tigers tucked into a live cow right in front of them.

These pictures show the shocking moment tourist guides fed a live cow to five hungry tigers.

The shocked visitors watched from the safety of their buses as the fearsome beasts launched into a feeding frenzy.

The cow had been dumped from the back of a truck and made a brave attempt to escape before being overcome by the powerful tigers.

Amateur photographer Chris Geddes, 31, captured the images on a trip to the Siberian Tiger Park, in Harbin, China.

He said: 'I had heard that the Siberian Tiger Park was a famous tourist attraction in the area and I jumped at the chance to go.

'After a brief walk through the traditional zoo-like cages and some more spacious enclosures, we were loaded on to one of six buses for the guided tour of the park.

'The park was spread across several square kilometres of land with a meandering dirt road.

The cow had been dumped from the back of a truck and made a brave attempt to escape before being overcome by the powerful tigers.

Stand off: The tigers close in on the cow that seemed 'generally unwell' to one tourist.

Head to head: The cow valiantly attempts to take on a tiger at the Siberian Tiger Park, in Harbin, China.

Amateur photographer Chris Geddes, 31, captured the images on a trip to the wildlife park.

Tucking in: A group of tourists watch on in horror as a live cow is fed to a group of tigers.

Horror: Within several seconds the cow fell to the ground, unable to stave off the tigers' attack.

'A large dump truck reversed into the ring of buses while the armoured jeeps drove quickly around the perimeter in an attempt to energise the tigers.

'I looked at my friend in disbelief as the back of the truck lifted and a live cow slid out landing on its back.

'The cow, which appeared generally unwell, clambered to it's feet as two tigers approached, one taking the offensive lead.

'Within several seconds the cow fell to the ground, unable to stave off the cats' attack.

'Two other cats joined in to end the struggle. I could not believe my eyes.'

Orthopaedic surgeon Chris said when he and his friend came to leave the park they spotted a 'menu' with prices for various animals to be thrown to the tigers alive.

Chickens were available for just £3.50, while a cow was on offer for £130.

All I can say is WTF? This is apparently a well visited attraction in China. There are youtube videos dating back to as much as 3 years ago that show this "attraction" along with more recent accounts.

This to me, is NOT entertainment! It's bad enough animals are kept in captivity to begin with but live feeding sessions. I understand educating people on the habits of animals, but seeing a documentary on the Discovery Channel versus the actual live event are two different things.

The circle of life happens in nature every day. None the less, nature creates a balance. This is not balanced!!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Yes it's a bit sick, but that's China for you. you also have American tourists willing to pay for the pleasure and film it for posterity. Not exactly seeing Animals in their natural environment

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Animals that are carnivores have to eat meat. On the plus side tigers kill their own pray and then eat their own meat.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I think.people are paying to watch things,that's supposed to be nature.
We would have been seeing it everyday, if we didn't destroy the forests for our own sake

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Looks pretty cool to me. Pretty tame, too as far as animals eating other animals goes. I don't see much significant difference between this and when I feed a live mousey to my snake. Except the snake doesn't even give the mouse 5 seconds. These cows seem to suffer a lot more, since the guy eating them is closer to the same size.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
The miracle of nature, hard at work. I agree that I hate zoo's and keeping animals outside of their habitat, but at the same time, I kind of envy them. You know they got it made. Fresh food, no work, play a little. Yea that is the life. It is shameful the way some are treated but there are many people that ensure that the animals have a good life in the false habitat. So maybe it ain't so bad, though in China, maybe it is really bad.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I don't really see a problem with it. It's nature and animals kill and eat other animals. I've seen that in wildlife parks and even in free nature and if that is called sick i can just wonder....

Besides: It reminds me of the movie Jurassic Park, where they dump a goat into the T-Rex cage

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I hate to say this but have any of you ever watched a cat with a mouse?

At least these tigers put and end to their preys misery right off - where as your common house cat keeps a wee little beasty alive for ages while it 'plays' with it's next meal.

Anyway - it's nothing but another way to make a buck - and pretty unrealistic if you think you're really getting a look at 'nature'.

Oh well, what do tourists know?

This one takes 7 minutes...

Edit to add: No, it's not my cat.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by silo13]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I feel bad for the cow of course, but look at the bright side of it....at least the tigers are being fed and not starved.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
What's so horrible about it?

I keep seeing the word HORROR.

Where, please?

I see big cat eat cow. They do that.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
A lot of people are probably horrified that a living animal was devoured by 3 beasts in the form of entertainment. For this to happen in the wild is one thing, but to purposely place an animal in such a defenceless and vulnerable position for the purpose of entertainment is in bad taste.

It reminds me of those idiots that capture bears, rip out their teeth and claws and then set several dogs on them while they are chained to a poll. Perhaps the same thing should be done to the very trainers themselves and we will see how much they enjoy the experience

[edit on 19/5/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Obviously the regulations in China do not exist.

This is just shocking to say the least and the people who work at the park should be ashamed of themselves and are certainly not animal lovers.

I understand there is a need to keep some animals in captivity, especially very endanged species such as tigers, but it's not a hunting ground or a pretend hunting ground.

At the end of the day, these parks are there purely to keep the gene pool alive if the animals ever became extinct in the wild.

Human pleasure is only a secondary benefit of these parks.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
This is just shocking to say the least and the people who work at the park should be ashamed of themselves and are certainly not animal lovers.

Geez, i'm glad i'm not an animal lover.

Really, what is so bad about it? Those animals need to be fed and i bet those tigers enjoy it more to kill an animal than just being served some processed meat - they're hunter after all.

Besides you can see things like that in a lot of documentations and i think most people don't watch things like that with a big bag of popcorn in their hand but they're just interesting to see nature and how everything works.
I don't know what's so wrong to show people how animals hunt and kill, it's part of their lives.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

Don't get me wrong, I love nature and I love watching wild animals take down their kill. It's amazing. (in the wild)

But, this place is not the Wild. It's a park that keeps wild animals in captivity and it's on show to all of the public of all ages.

How natural is it for a captive tiger to have a Truck pull up and slide a live, defensless calf out the back right at the tigers feet? These parks are only suppose to be so much like the wild habitat, enough so the animal can live comfortably.

They are there for their number 1 priority and thats keeping the gene pool alive of certain animals, especially tigers.

I guess what i'm trying to say is, there is really no need for this. If one place starts this, then others will follow suit, then the park is no longer an innocent place to take your kids, its then an R18 wannabe nature show.

What then, how about we throw in some "pretend poachers with rifles" or maybe a "pretend african villager or two?"

This is not suppose to be what happens in this kind of place. And dont say, well the animals shouldnt be there. There is a damn good reason why lots of species are there.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Anyone who can't undertsand why this is wrong should read these quotes below -

How do the parks justify the practice?

Park managers justify live feeding on the grounds that it provides “training” for predators destined to be released into the wild (so called “barbarization training” or “wildness training”). It is also used as a form of public entertainment

Often the public are encouraged to “buy” the prey animals before they are fed to the predators, and even in some cases allowed to dangle live chickens and other animals into the predators' enclosure on the ends of ropes or fishing lines

------------------------

So why is it wrong?

•Predators kept in Chinese parks and zoos are not destined to be released into the wild. Indeed many of them are not even indigenous to China. These poor animals are simply there to make money for the park owners

•Even if some of the predators were destined for release, “barbarization training” does not prepare them for a life in the wild. Most of the “prey” animals used in live feeding shows are domestic livestock; the only thing this teaches a predator is to hunt domestic animals, which would result in conflict with farmers if the predator was released.
The prey animals have no means of escape, and there is no attempt to allow the predators to carry out normal predatory behaviour (eg stalking, chasing).
As Jill Robinson, founder and CEO of Animals Asia, stated in 1999, “Teaching a tiger to hunt domestic animals does not teach it to survive in the wild and, endangered or not, the tiger faces death from farmers protecting their livelihood

•According to the Nanjing Modern Express (Oct 2002), there is evidence that the majority of the Chinese zoo-going public are against the practice of live feeding, and consider the methods used to be “too barbaric

•Dr Zhang Li, IFAW's China Director, said “the so called barbarization training cannot revive tigers' predatory abilities and it serves no educational end. It only provides the audience with a cruel, bloody show, which may severely harm the psychological wellbeing of the children present

•Live feeding shows in China do not provide a safe environment for spectators, who are often on buses with open windows, or on the other side of narrow water-filled ditches. Predatory animals that have been starved prior to the “show” to make them more hungry and aggressive are potentially very dangerous in these circumstances

•Live feeding flies in the face of claims zoos make that they are interested in promoting the welfare of animals (wild or domestic

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d99a7dc604ab.jpg[/atsimg]

Anyone who can now tell me good reasons for this obviously just needs their head looked at.

www.animalsasia.org...

[edit on 19-5-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Nothing wrong here at all

1st off its natural for them to do this,
2nd off they did it nice and quick by killing it by the neck,
3rd off its good as these tigers can be released into the wild again as they know how to kill,
4th this type of thing happens all the time at aquariums where they feed the sharks and people watch

Only thing that was wrong maybe, was they the tour operators should of told them they would see this before it happened, though i doubt even this would have stopped people from watching it

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   
At first glance of the photos I felt shocked: saddened for the poor cow; angry at the tigers – this is not something I come across in my daily life. My conditioning and upbringing has taught me to nurture and protect life, particularly the animals around me.

But then it occured to me that I also had beef for dinner tonight. The difference is I have no idea how my meal was killed, or how humanely it died.

While the OP's compassion is certainly commendable - that one can express compassion for an animal is rare in such a self-important society – this really is nature at work. Mother nature does not hide the blood and gore. It is a part of her – and our – existence.

We can debate the morality of the zoo feeding its tigers a live animal, and whether it was purely for the purposes of attracting tourists (and therefore financially benefiting from this 'show') or whether it was to benefit the tigers' natural instincts.

But, at the end of the day, it is the tigers' requirements that are priority, in this discussion.

While the cow may not have been behaviourally prepared for a show-down with a pack of tigers and eventual likelihood of becoming the afternoon meal (tigers are a predator for which cows may not have an instinctive reflex), it is important to note that zoos are very important for conservation of endangered animals, as well as educating people about these animals.

We have destroyed the environments of many species on this planet. And if we wish to preserve the wild animals of this planet (and that includes their wild behaviour)
then I concede that this type of feeding must be permitted and encouraged.

We are the stewards of this planet, and we must do what is right for the creatures first, and disregard our own prejudices.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I find it funny how some people throw the words "barbaric" and "cruel" and such for a natural event...

It's not barbaric for a carnivore to kill another animal to eat it... Whether it is "helped" by humans by them giving it to them or whether they stalk and hunt the prey is no different... They need to kill a prey to eat...

Not barbaric... I hate when people put natural animal behavior up for analysis to human "political correctness" and/or "humane" standards...

It's so stupid...

Magnum

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
If they weren't doing it in captivity, they'd be doing it in the wild. But for those who feel bad for the cow and angry at the "zoo" keepers, don't worry, people are dumb as dogsheet in rural China, so what happens is, every now and then a bus driver gets out to change a flat tire and is all "ARRGH WTF?!" when the Tigers eat him. I lived in China for years, have visited a few of these parks and I'm not joking.

[edit on 2010-5-19 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Predators eat prey?! OUTRAGE!

I like animals, but I sincerely don't see anything wrong with this. Actually, I'd like to see it in person. Would be sort of nifty.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join