It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Candidate’s Words on Vietnam Service Differ From History

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Candidate’s Words on Vietnam Service Differ From History

There was one problem: Mr. Blumenthal, a Democrat now running for the United States Senate, never served in Vietnam. He obtained at least five military deferments from 1965 to 1970 and took repeated steps that enabled him to avoid going to war, according to records.

Politicians lie thats a given, but do they not realize that they will be caught eventually are they that daft?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Blumenthal fallout has immediate impact; Murphy seen as replacement candidate

A New York Times report Monday night that Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal had lied about serving in Vietnam had pundits and pollsters across the nation speculating about the impact that it will have on an already tough mid-season election for Democrats.

Looks like the Dems are already looking to replace him,

He is running For Christopher Dodds vacated seat

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Maybe once he was elected he intended to have all his past records sealed.

Luckily someone checked first instead of electing another polly based on lies.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
This is a shocking revelation, and would be for any candidate for any office.

Unfortunately, I can already imagine what we'll see posted here in a democrat rush to defend this guy since the dems consider Dodd's seat a key to retaining a majority. Sadly, what we'll see is the "some Republicans have lied in the past" excuse.

Shades of another dem - John Kerry, but at least Kerry was actually in Viet Nam. He just embellished his record (including, some witnesses say, wounding himself to earn a Purple Heart) while he was there.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Wonder when the Dems are going to resurrect the term 'Swiftboater' in defense of this piece of scum? You see, to the Dems the truth is whatever they want it to be, damn the facts. That's why Obama is still in office, and this piece of scum is where he is.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
This story continues to develop I am surprised its not being discussed more here on ATS.

Richard Blumenthal tries to answer Vietnam questions

Above is a blog entry..

For me this is not about party its about Harvard and Yale type elites that think they have the right to rule us no matter how much they lie cheat and steal. They are all scum no matter what party.
During the time this guy was getting 5 deferments from Vietnam my father was serving 2 of his 3 tours. Supervising the Toys for Tots program ( I have no problems with the program ) is a far cry from being on the front line in Ahn Khe or Khe San.

Freaking politicians just make me physically sick anymore...

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Sadly, and as predicted:

Dems continue to back a liar.

article

DSCC Chairman Robert Menendez (D-N.J.) said Tuesday Democrats “will continue to support” embattled candidate Richard Blumenthal in his bid to become the next senator from Connecticut.

Menendez's declaration of support comes just hours after it was revealed Blumenthal had been untruthful about his Vietnam service record in a New York Times story that broke late Monday night.

"I think he's corrected the record in the past and I think his actions as it relates to standing up for veterans over a long period of time speaks volumes about where his heart and his actions are"

Trouble is that his "heart" says it is OK to lie about fundamental parts of his past and record, and his "actions" say that he followed where his "heart" has led him.

But the problem with the dems is that all of that is OK as long as it helps them win a Senate seat.

And you know what the dems would be hypocritically saying if this person was a Republican.

As the communist/democrat manifesto states: the ends justify the means ...

[edit on 5/18/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Worst part of this is that folks are so blinded by party loyalty that they will elect this guy. We sure have low standards for leaders in America these days..

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Sadly, and as predicted:

Dems continue to back a liar.

article

DSCC Chairman Robert Menendez (D-N.J.) said Tuesday Democrats “will continue to support” embattled candidate Richard Blumenthal in his bid to become the next senator from Connecticut.

Menendez's declaration of support comes just hours after it was revealed Blumenthal had been untruthful about his Vietnam service record in a New York Times story that broke late Monday night.

"I think he's corrected the record in the past and I think his actions as it relates to standing up for veterans over a long period of time speaks volumes about where his heart and his actions are"

Trouble is that his "heart" says it is OK to lie about fundamental parts of his past and record, and his "actions" say that he followed where his "heart" has led him.

But the problem with the dems is that all of that is OK as long as it helps them win a Senate seat.

And you know what the dems would be hypocritically saying if this person was a Republican.

As the communist/democrat manifesto states: the ends justify the means ...

[edit on 5/18/2010 by centurion1211]

So this creep lies about something "fundamental" and now is dancing
around in circles to make it right. As a real Vietnam veteran in 66-67-68,
I take offense at what he has done. If he has to lie about this, and say
he went where his heart sent him, think about what else he will do to
lie to the country if this liar is voted into office. If this is the type of heart
he has, then we don't need him, regardless of what party he a part of.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Guess I'll start the presses rolling...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2e3e184fa95c.jpg[/atsimg]

— Doc Velocity

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Well see how its worded?
He didn't lie.

Menendez's declaration of support comes just hours after it was revealed Blumenthal had been UNTRUTHFUL about his Vietnam service record in a New York Times story that broke late Monday night.

I know its just spin but thats how they twist it so as not to sound so bad. Good old MSN. If it was me or you we'd be called Raging Liars by MSN.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I'm constantly amazed at how people think they can run for national office and not have this sort of truth quickly revealed.

Like Edwards trying to hide his baby and continue his presidential campaign.

Must be hubris.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I am a card carrying Liberal and contrary to what you all think I find his actions deplorable. He besmirches all the brave men and women who serve(d) our country.

While no political party has a monopoly on patriotism or pride he dishonors the very notion of bravery and valor. I wouldn't utter a syllable in his defense.

The only solace: "Cowards die many times before their deaths. The valiant never taste of death but once." - William Shakespeare.

[edit on 18-5-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
After reading the article and watching the video, I came away with the impression that Mr B exaggerated his military service more along the lines of wanting, wishing he had been one of those Veteran's to whom he was addressing, rather than a deliberate attempt at gaining personal favor.

But in interviews, several military historians and social scientists said the Blumenthal story reflected the strained and unsettled relationship some men of his generation have with the Vietnam War. Some of them, driven by guilt or pride, begin to embellish their role, even if they did not serve in the war or played no heroic role, they said.

“There is a lot of anecdotal evidence of this phenomenon of exaggerating military service by people who feel nostalgic because they missed their war,” said Brian McAllister Linn, a professor at Texas A&M University who specializes in military history.

Mr. Shays, a conscientious objector who avoided the Vietnam War, has his own theory about Mr. Blumenthal’s evolving descriptions of his service: “I think that it was a way that he quickly bonded with people I am sure he admired and respected.”

source

Volunteering back then for the reserve or guard was definitely a way to avoid being drafted and most certainly going to Viet Nam, and you had to have connections to do it. Mr B did serve out his total years of obligation, however.

I've heard fishing tales get retold so many times, that the salmon went from 20 pounds to "damn near 60 pounds."

top topics

join