It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP succeeds in second attempt at inserting tube in damaged oil pipe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   

BP succeeded on Sunday in its second attempt at inserting a new tube into its damaged oil pipe that has been gushing oil from the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico for three and a half weeks, according to BP and federal officials.

The four-inch wide pipe was inserted into the leaking riser, from which the majority of the flow of oil is coming. If it works, it could siphon a substantial amount of the oil leaking from the damaged well into barges and tankers floating on the surface of the sea.

The company's first effort late Saturday night succeeded initially, but the new tube got yanked out after the umbilical cord of a Remotely-Operated Vehicle got entangled with the tube's line to the surface, according to sources familiar with the project.

After workers installed the tube on the first try, which is like inserting one straw into another, gas found its way to the surface and was flared, showing that the tube had successfully funneled gas and some oil from the leak.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Now to see if this will actually contain the oil. If it doesn't though, I'm sure they wont tell us.
I will be patiently waiting for them to tell us they are capturing 15,000 barrels a day with this new attempt. Trying to amaze us at how well it works, forgetting they have insisted the Coast Guard is correct in estimating only 5,000 barrels a day are escaping to begin with.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
no way!! were did you hear this?? ITS A LIE!!

I want my catastrophe!! waaaa, you can't take it away from me! I've been waiting over 2o days for it!! waaa"!!

[edit on 16-5-2010 by Just Wondering]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
They already admit it is not a fix.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
you're a little late fella, sorry!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Just Wondering

Oh, there's still plenty of catastrophe to go around. Especially with the release of the info we had all been suspecting about where the oil was, that they just found in such abundance just under the surface and not visible to satellites.

They aren't even sure this will work fully, if at all. And yes, the full fix is supposed to be the drilling of a relief well, which is still a couple months away from completion as I understand it.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Just Wondering

Yep. You are correct. I misread your thread as being an earlier attempt...since they have made 4 now to control this mess.

Your thread was first. Sorry. Mods, feel free to close this one.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

As requested, webpirate.

Closing

top topics

join