It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Noam Chomsky denied entry into Israel

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Noam Chomsky denied entry into Israel

www.haaretz.com

Left-wing American linguist Professor Noam Chomsky was denied entry into Israel on Sunday, for reasons that were not immediately clear.

Chomsky, who was scheduled to deliver a lecture at Bir Zeit University near Jerusalem, told the Right to Enter activist group by telephone that inspectors had stamped the words "denied entry" onto his passport when he tried to cross from Jordan over Allenby Bridge.

When he asked an Israeli inspector why he had not received permission, he was told that an explanation would be sent in writing to the American embassy.
(visit the link for the full news article)

More links.

www.google.com...
www.jpost.com...
www.ynetnews.com...

[edit on 16-5-2010 by Peruvianmonk]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
More terrible P.R. for Israel. I suppose this isn't very surprising. Any kind of crictisim of Israel now puts you in the enemy camp for this Israeli administration.

What a fine example of comparison to those people who spout absolute rubbish about Israel being this beacon of hope and democracy in a sea of despots and 'evil do-ers'.

www.haaretz.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Having read many of chomsky's books, I am not surprised! Their letter to the embassy explaining why they denied him probably reads:
"He is right."

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Israel sleeps with Uncle Sam and the English Queen.
Maybe she is terrified of a linguist genious who understands exactly what that means.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Too bad we don't deny entry to all of the Israeli spies that are running around our own country. They are everywhere.[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8daacbbeec7e.gif[/atsimg]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
It puzzles me that anyone would want to go to Israel. Has Noam lost his marbles or something?

Consider it a compliment Mr. Chomsky!!!

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonsmusic
Israel sleeps with Uncle Sam and the English Queen.
Maybe she is terrified of a linguist genious who understands exactly what that means.

Please explain to me what Her Majesty has to do with this? SHe is the titular head of an 800 year old democracy.

By rights she has zero power and is little more than a figurehead. For the record she married into a german family and can by no means be connected with the so called bloodlines some people spout.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atlantican
It puzzles me that anyone would want to go to Israel. Has Noam lost his marbles or something?

Consider it a compliment Mr. Chomsky!!!

I thought his name might be a clue - but i guess the people here cant work out a jewish name when its stuck in front of them .

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
It's always good to hear Chomsky on the radio. Israel is a huge fan of denial.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Just to make sure you realise -

"We were the only Jewish family around"

"Chomsky was also influenced by being a part of a Hebrew-based, Zionist organization as well as hanging around anarchist bookstores."

as a jew going to Israel is natural

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Atlantican

He was travelling to give a lecture at Bir Zeit University in the West Bank tommorow. Its not like this is his first visit to Israel, he's been there many times. It is this administration under Netanyahu that is the difference here.

Here is the link to the university, www.birzeit.edu... It is the first higher education institution in Palestine.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I thought Jews were automatically welcome in Israel. Wasn't that a policy when the country was formed?

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

There is a constant encouragment for Jews around the world to perform 'Aliyah' (ascent). Basically emigrate to Israel.

Shin Bet went over to countries like Morrocco, Tunisia after the Nakba and persuaded settled, intergrated Jewish citizens of these countries to emigrate to Israel with promises of jobs, housing, security. This was all basically bull crap.

In regards to Jewish visitors, you are allowed in as long as you are not critical of Israel in anyway. This is the policy under this exteme right-wing coalition under Netanyahu. So Chomsky really had no chance.

This is all self-defeating for Israel in the long run however, just shows what an intolerant, nasty, quasi-democratic state it is to the World Community.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

Thanks for the information

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
I thought Jews were automatically welcome in Israel. Wasn't that a policy when the country was formed?

I think the policy is that only jews who hate non-jews and those who deny that israel commits war crimes are permitted in... Oh also the ones who are ignorant and who just follow the flow of what their leaders tell them...

Oh and one more... People who fund their war crimes are allowed in too, they get broken picture frames as a gift...

Magnum

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

It's an old saw that you can judge a person by the company they keep. Maybe we can judge a country by the people they refuse entry to?

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk

This is all self-defeating for Israel in the long run however, just shows what an intolerant, nasty, quasi-democratic state it is to the World Community.

I liked Chomsky's view that America needs to become a part of the world community. You got Hillary running around asking countries to change and become a part of the world community, then Chomsky hits the airwaves with a solid argument showing just how far from the world community America really is. Brilliant IMO.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Seems he is getting the same treatment as Norman Finkelstein . *Another " self-hating Jew" i guess.

Any good will Israel had, is evaporating at an astonishing rate under this Israeli Administration .

*sarcasm

[edit on 16-5-2010 by UmbraSumus]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Yes. I feel for Finklestein. He is clearly affected emotionally by the crictisim he comes in for from fellow Jews. His understanding of the situation, and the lack of understanding exhibited by most Jews, also appears to deeply frustrate him.

Chomsky on the other hand i feel will find this easier to take judging by his demeanour.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
In regards to Jewish visitors, you are allowed in as long as you are not critical of Israel in anyway. This is the policy under this exteme right-wing coalition under Netanyahu. So Chomsky really had no chance.

Wow, that's too bad.

It's funny too because many Americans regularly state the value of Israel by claiming it to be our only shining example of "freedom and democracy" in the middle-east.

Chomsky isn't a terror-threat, but he does tend to drop knowledge like a bomb.

This was a very poor move, because it shows that some people fear what he has to say and who will listen to it.

- Lee

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join