It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lack Of Information: What Is Going On In The Gulf Of Mexico?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I am already well beyond extremely concerned about the gulf oil 'spill', But as the days go on and it continues to gush out into the ocean, we are hearing that it is more oil than originally thought, and many other claims of the conditions that exsist right now in this beautiful and bountiful ocean. I am even more worried now because of the lack of information coming out. Not many images at all of the actual spill, a single 15 second video of the gusher, a small sattelite image over 2 weeks ago, where are all the images from space? From fishermen? From airplanes? Why aren't we seeing news people on the beaches? My gut already tells me that is event is going to spiral into proportions unimaginable, not like any oil 'spill' we have ever witnessed, and this lack of information coming out raising much more concern! Do you all think more info should be hitting the waves at this time? Do you think the lack of information is being asked for to not create panic?

Now that Obama has seen the spill firsthand he is angry, whether or not that matters is left to be seen. He made a reference to the '"seriousness and urgency" of the situation.

Scientists now speculate the scale of the leak could be as much as five to 10 times worse than projected by company and government officials.

This article mentions that there is little change to what can be seen floating on top of the water, so where is it? I am afraid it is already on it's way to Naples Fla, pulled by the gulf current.

Link to source:abcnews.go.com...

[edit on 15-5-2010 by space cadet]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Laugh it up, but I made a facebook status today about the oil spill, and my petrol engineer friend gave me some great information. Here it is:

Status: "Way to go BP for actually covering up the real size of the oil spill. The first estimate said it was 5,000 barrels (210,000 gallons) of oil leaking into the ocean everyday, and NOW the new MINIMUM estimate is 10 times that...or 1 Exxon Valdez every 5 days."

Him: Where did you hear that? As a petro engineer there aren't many wells that produce 50,000BBls/d

I should add on the gulf coast and from one well.
Yesterday at 12:24pm ·

Me: CNN, BBC, and from the mouth of the President at about 11 today. He didn't use those numbers, but he had a press conference today about those that have.

Me: www.nytimes.com..., www.npr.org..., us.cnn.com...,

Him:
I dunno if they are taking into account that its more than oil that is coming out of that hole. Wells in the gulf coast produce a large amount of gas and water not just oil. This kick being as big as it is likely comes from gas. Without knowing what fluids are being produced from the well head you can't say how much oil is being produced. To give ... See Morean example its not uncommon to see a 20:1 water to oil ratio production. Considering that the well wasn't cased the whole way through. It could easily be producing a huge amount of water and gas compared to oil.

Him: To add to that the well wasn't completed. So, there is no production data. We don't know how much of each fluid is being produced. The only people that know are BP and thats from their preliminary analysis of the reservoir that everybody does before drilling a hole. They can estimate what fluids are going to be where, how much of each, and other factors that decide production. To make an estimate of the volumetric flow rate from the well head is just flat out wrong.

Me: Well you are on the right track. The calculations were based on how much oil was leaking out. Methane is also being leaked out as well but in a small amount as compared to the amount of oil. In the reports I have read / heard, I was told nothing about water coming out, though that makes perfect sense. There is no denying that it is extremely hard ... See Moreto measure the gush, but BP outright lied, and is still lying about the amount coming out. Some BP officials still claim the spill is only 1,000 barrels per day, but we know now that even 5,000 is a deep underestimation. I can't find the quote, but on CNN last night, BP was quoted as saying something to the effect of "we don't care how much is coming out. We are only focusing on stopping it." It sounds like they are trying to clean up a gallon of milk with a single napkin.

Him: Furthermore you have an astrophysicist and a mechanical engineer making these calculations! These people have NO background in the field of petroleum. It would like asking me to do build a rocket or a bridge its just not my field and estimating petroleum production is not theirs. Not to defend BP but the 5,000bbl/d estimate was made by the GOVERNMENT not BP. Not to mention this is the news they will always jump on whoever puts the biggest numbers out there. Lets be a little bit skeptical here.

Him: They don't care how much is coming out because that isn't what matters right now. What matters is containing the leak and stopping it. Also I did some looking and that area produces oil which is called light-sweet oil. To give a quick description if what that is it is in reservoir conditions a liquid fluid like soda, but as you start to bring it to... See More atmospheric condition it will start to bubble and release gas. light-sweet oil in the right conditions can be 100% liquid in the reservoir and 100% gas in atmospheric conditions. That isn't the case for this well but it could easily be 50,000 barrels of fluid coming out of the wellhead but once it reaches the or near surface only be 5,000 barrels of liquid oil. Like is said its super tricky and can't be estimated until you sample the fluid in the reservoir conditions.

[edit on 15-5-2010 by SubPop79]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by SubPop79

Like everything else these days, it's simply a cover-up. And people accept it! No news is good news - they say. And weekends are the worst, sheeple glued to Lady Gaga, American Idol, any trivia crap, anything to stop thinking. What does it take these days to wake people up, really?? A shift in consciousness?
You've got to be joking!

mclinking

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SubPop79

Him: Furthermore you have an astrophysicist and a mechanical engineer making these calculations! These people have NO background in the field of petroleum.

[edit on 15-5-2010 by SubPop79]

I don't think you need a background in the field of petroleum to get the proper info from those who do in order to make calculations. Like your friend said, they are astrophysicists and a mechanical engineer. I am pretty sure they are smart enough to know they need to take EVERYTHING into consideration. Most laypeople even know that more than just oil would come out of a well tapped into a reserve. Just conjecture, however...

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by mclinking

Usually the old saying 'no new is good news' is true, but in this case it is worrisome, I want to know why there isn't any more new, or pictures or some site putting together the deaths of sea life, ect. It is the worst disaster of this type ever, and it continues to get even worse, yet it is being treated like some back burner news story, it that lack of information to the press, or a news blackout?

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

To their credit, CNN on Larry King show this morning had a good piece on the crisis with one expert insisting that 70,000 barrels were being lost each day instead of the 5000 claimed by BP. But one idea of shoving HUMAN HAIR into the pipe to solve the problem???
Dumb gets dumber, don't it!

mclinking

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Well, as far as pictures go,

tfr.faa.gov... 76e447

No Fly Zone. Make sure people know and understand this, it is not part of the "news"

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by mclinking
reply to post by space cadet

To their credit, CNN on Larry King show this morning had a good piece on the crisis with one expert insisting that 70,000 barrels were being lost each day instead of the 5000 claimed by BP. But one idea of shoving HUMAN HAIR into the pipe to solve the problem???
Dumb gets dumber, don't it!

mclinking

They are going to shove the hair into the pipe. LOL They are collecting
hair from all over the country right now from barber shops, beauty
parlors, pet grooming shops, etc. They are going to put the hair into
nylon stockings and use them as buoys to collect the oil. Ten pounds of
hair will snatch up 50 pounds of oil. There was an article in my hometown
newspaper just this morning on this project. They are not going to cram
it down the pipe. Good grief !!

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by bakadesu

The only thing I can make of this is that we are not being shown the scope of the leak's damage. That thought is what terrifies me. If they don't want us to panic, it's bad.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I am still flaberghasted at the lack of pictures of damage, pictures of the actual spill, pictures of fishermen lamenting, people on the oily shores, where are they?

Again, I have to say that NOT seeing this unfold in such an age of technology that CAN provide up to the minute information and photographs, well, it speaks volumes. We are not being shown or told the truth. It is much worse than imagined.

I said this on several other threads, I am going to officially say it here again:

This is not only bad, a catastrophe, at this time, it is going to continue to become so much more of a catastrophe, it is going to continue to leak out until it reaches the shores of other countries, and if my phophetic dream is correct, a fire resulting will be ominous, deadly, and practically impossible to extinguish. We are going to have a major backlash from other countries over this. Expect this 'oil spill' to be world changing.

new topics

top topics

join