It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf Oil Spill More Than 10X Greater Than Thought: Experts

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by zarp3333
This is a hoax story put out by BP. Even the video provided with the story is intended to create massive resistance to any off-shore drilling.

The video shows natural gas gushing out. If even a fraction of that amount of oil were leaking out, the entire gulf would be covered in a slick. That is not the case.

Take a drop gas or heating oil and drop it in a bucket. It instantly cover the surface.

This is NOT like the Valdez. DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE.

Heating oil isn't the same as crude. Do you have any clue how much water is in the gulf?

More like, don't believe your hype.

I mean, from what angle does it make sense for an oil company to put out disinfo of a larger leak than what's really occurring. To stop off-shore drilling? What?
BP didn't want to release the video. They were pressured by government, media, and individuals to do so.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by zarp3333
This is a hoax story put out by BP. Even the video provided with the story is intended to create massive resistance to any off-shore drilling.....

interviews?
Documents?
facts and figures, or just pure conjecture?

deny ignorance, that means add facts to the discussion
everything else is what our main stream media produces
if this methane does not get handled, soon, we'll not have to worry!

dr

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

I would say spill is the correct term to use, because it relates more to a human error, than eruption or gusher. those would give the disaster a more natural occurrence type of feel. However I know the word spill still doesn't sound correct.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Thank you all for the good posts. We MUST stay on this story, and we will also need stamina.

To the few out there posting 'hype! & hoax!' I wish you were right. Honestly I do. I would risk all my ATS credibility for Oilgeddon to be a huge over-exaggeration.

Even if it turns out to be something different than what we fear, there has already been real and tangible effects beyond environmental contamination (ie: oily beaches)

BP has lost billions.

Trasnocean lost 25% of share price.

Tens of thousands of people who work the gulf are in limbo.

$500mil spent on containment so far and the meter is running.

The cost and availability of american seafood is starting to be affected and will hit us all financially.

all this and no end in sight. if you're a troll posting rubbish, well, that's what you do and how you sleep at night is a mystery (probably lots of xanax and beer). If you are ligit doubting I ask that you present data to back up your claims.

peace

~Z.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by [davinci]

There is a story about an oil leak near Venezuela which Chavez says is being repaired and no problem also. Wonder who can believe that?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
That is another gas well....

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I knew from the start, just as many others did, that the official numbers being thrown at us were complete bunk.

Whose to say these new numbers aren't still downplaying it a bit? I just hope to see enough people outraged publicly and it makes the MSM headlines therefore spreading the truth for the rest of the masses.

I'm tired of being lied too just like the rest of you, and we cannot stand around any longer allowing our world to be polluted like this... people bitch about bitch about carbon emissions and yet here we are starring at the worst oil related disaster ever.

I live up in PA so I can't exactly take a plane down to the gulf and start protesting, but for those of you in that area, there are things you can do. Eventually this oil is going to pollute the beaches I go to as well just like yours are going too.

I said it before... I don't want to go to the Jersey shore (which is already dirty enough) and swim in oil, or go to Maryland and have to look at oil covered sand (Maryland has the cleanest beaches that are within driving distance of me too).

So can't we do something?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

Remember gov have ways to deal with situations where things happen like this and how to handle the news.

The oil companies and gov will want to keep a lid on the news, no matter is going on really.

I would guess satelittes will tell how bad it is really if people cannot get down there. They do know, but its strange how long it took obama to accept the american government should be involved as it effects america afterall.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I understand this is an ecological disaster, but fail to see how this is a sort of doomsday event that many people are making it out to be.

I don't live near the Gulf and I don't eat seafood. That pretty much means it's going to be about 5 yrs before I will notice any sort of 'effect.' In 5 yrs, I would have forgotten this event ever happened.

Maybe it has the potential to culminate into a larger disaster, but so far it hasn't happened yet. The people who live in the region know first hand what the damage is and do not have to rely on quotes from BP or the US Gov. They haven't gone post apocalyptic yet, and until they do, I won't be worried.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Thank you all for giving me this chance to speak .

I woke up a little late this morning so please , I have a little sleepy eyes. The oil spill cleanup is a heartbreak to the economy, And yet at the same time to all the fish that wake up to nasty homes under the sea.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Delphiki

It's not too difficult to understand. Just take the oil out of the equation. Look at the methane aspect. 1 unit of methane a mile down turns into nearly 2,100 times the original unit when it gets to the surface. We're already polluting the environment with increased carbon emissions. It's currently at 390ppm, or equivalent of 460ppm when you factor in methane. This release may put us over the 500ppm mark that's a rough estimate which we need to stay under for large mammals to survive.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by LiteraryOneTwo

Sorry, I have to correct myself. A rig sank, 95 workers were saved, no leaks reported, and Ramirez flew over the area and could see nothing.

This occured in the Caribbean. Topango region.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by LiteraryOneTwo

Sorry, I have to correct myself. A rig sank, 95 workers were saved, no leaks reported, and Ramirez flew over the area and could see nothing.

This occured in the Caribbean. Topango region.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Anyone who minimizes this disaster is a fool. Plain and simple. And you know who you are.

By ignoring the consequences of the thousands of barrrels of heavy crude and tar that have erupted from the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico since April 20,2010, you are a part of this mess.
You who minimize are the problem, not the solution. Leave it to so-called representatives,i.e. congress (sic) to minimize, that's what they're paid for.
Instead, get on the ball and try to help protect the natural resources of our nation.

IF you have no knowledege of ecology, especially marine/coastal ecology, you should stop posting about things that you have no knowledge of. Now STFU and get on the ball and try to save our resources!!!!

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
It occurs to me that BP could fix this entire problem (from their perspective) by simply purchasing "Carbon Offsets" from Al Gore.

Man, this is creepy.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
So is there any way of finding out how much crude this platform produced before the accident, And would that be a good indicator for how much is being leaked?
Some folks say nothing to see here move along,I say even if it wasn't as bad as we think it is. the ground bleeding uncontrollably is bad and alot worse in the water where we cannot divert it and put on a bandaid.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Wow. No one is questioning the source? NPR is so left they make the NYT look Fair & Balanced. Hey, they might be right, but you really don't know if they are - you're just believing them and parroting it. Why are they believable and another source is not?

I'm not saying this event isn't bad, but calm down and take a breath. You've all been conditioned to piss yourself whenever some kind of oil spill occurs, yet the environment ALWAYS rebounds much faster than the media claims it will.

What is crude oil? It's a product of natural processes that occur in the earth. It is part of nature, just as much as seawater is. Sure, it's being introduced to an area in higher concentrations that we usually see, and some fish and pelicans might succumb, but as soon as the retards that caused this get their act together and stem the leak, then the environment will repair itself, I promise.

This event is being politicized, and will be further politicized before it's over. By the way, before BP, Standard Oil and Shell went to the middle east, after oil was "discovered" in Pennsylvania, then they found out that the stuff was gurgling out of the ground in the middle east and just sitting there on the ground in huge pools. Gosh, did it ruin the environment then?

Now everyone go change your panties and calm the hell down. Try not to get sucked into the propaganda.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Z.S.P.V.G.

Gulf Oil Spill More Than 10X Greater Than Thought: Experts

www.npr.org

NPR has learned that much more oil, 70,000 barrels a day or more than ten times the official estimate, is gushing into the Gulf of Mexico from the Deepwater Horizon pipe, based on scientific analysis of the video released Wednesday.

That's the equivalent of one Exxon Valdez tanker full every four days.
(visit the link for the full news article)

This is why Earths Guardians are upset with this pathetic $$$$ always $$$ related mess. Hope they can fix it in time!!

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

It's not just NPR, CNN also reported it and had the guy on that made the calculations.
dprogram.net...
His name is Steve Wereley, he is the source not CNN or NPR.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
One issue occurred to me with regards to this oil disaster. Given how huge the surface layer of oil over the hole is, what happens if lightning strikes any part of it? I have this sinking image of a huge explosion, followed by much of the Caribbean being on fire, and then oxygen depletion further complicating matters.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join