It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do reputable news organisations have Al Sharpton on panels?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Al Sharpton? Really? Isn't that a bit like having David Duke on a political panel giving his advice on race relations. Al Sharpton is about as racist as you can be. When did he become respectable or acceptable?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I don't think anyone takes him seriously... except maybe for Nation of Islam.

He's a race baiter who's pretty good at stirring people up. Stirring people up makes for good ratings.

His act is growing tiresome though. It's hard for him to be taken as a representative of a community with legitimate concerns when the USA has a black man in the White House. Really, you're still oppressed, Al?

Clowns like Sharpton keep the racial fires burning.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Comic relief?

Somewhere out there somebody takes him seriously. At least Jesse Jackson has toned the ridiculous shtick a bit.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Luca Brasi

He is controversial. Like gasoline on a fire.

Perhaps ratings are the reason? Either people love the guy or hate him, which is a boon for whomever lets him speak.

Gotta love those network sponsers!

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I'm black, so I mean this:

Any news station that has Al Sharpton on isn't reputable at all.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Reputable?

You mean telling me nonsense about WMDs in Iraq for months on end?

You mean putting up a completely fraudulent video supposedly about ACORN to destroy it?

You mean telling about the strategic victory in Marjah, Afghanistan, a city of 80,000 that isn't even a village?

You mean telling me that hundreds of exit pollers all conspired to rig the 2004 Ohio election for Kerry & not the 5 insiders who shunted the election returns to a private bastion of vitriolic fascists & flipped the vote by 6.5 Percent overnight?

Your definition of Reputable, in fact exposes you thinking as nonsense & inherently disreputable to anyone who cares about actual facts & real information.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
News organizations are obligated to try and provide a "balanced" presentation of any topic. Unfortunately, some topics don't need to be balanced, because one viewpoint is so obviously correct. But they still have to make an effort, and Sharpton rents himself out as an "expert" available for interviews, so they hire him and take the easy way out.

You can be an expert, too. Usually all you have to do is write a book, then publicize yourself as an expert and get an agent. It's not hard. If you really want to get booked a lot, pick a controversial topic to be an expert on, then choose to support the most unpopular side. Get your arguments in order, wear a suit, and away you go.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
For Fashion advice of course! I have wondered this for years! But it has got to be for ratings! people love a good scandal, and they love to laugh!

Pax

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Because even though whites don't like him, he's well known and supported in the black community. I think this is mostly because he's allways spoken up for black people.
News Flash! White people don't get to pick black leaders anymore, much to the chagrin of certain white people!

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Luca Brasi

Because he is a cartoon and gets viewers.

If Sponge Bob had an interest in politics, they'd get him on the pannel as well.

I too find it disgusting that he has been "mainstreamed". He has never been held to account for the Twanna Brawley affair, it item that should have either caused him jail time for fraud or at least so thoroughly discredited him that he was tossed into the dustbin

top topics

join