It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

L.A. Becomes Largest City To Boycott Arizona

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   

L.A. Becomes Largest City To Boycott Arizona

cbs2.com

Los Angeles on Wednesday became the largest city yet to boycott Arizona over its tough new law targeting illegal immigration in a move that likely will affect some $8 million in contracts with the state.

The City Council voted 13-1 to bar Los Angeles from conducting business with Arizona unless the law is repealed. The vote followed an emotional council discussion during which many members noted that their ancestors were U.S. immigrants.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
This will have no effect at all on Arizona. If anything it will be good for Arizona as many illegals will move to California and further drive their fiscal house into the tank.

Arizona should now stop any all and all business with any Los Angeles based firms.

Symbolic? Who cares about the symbolism?

cbs2.com

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Agreed. Time for Arizona to turn the screw on the already screwed up cities in Californication threatening to boycott Arizona.

Meanwhile, I will go out of my way to do business with Arizona based establishments. Second only to my home state of course.

To all of those Illegals in Arizona right now... California is beautiful this time of year.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Really? Who cares about L.A. boycotting? Not me. We've traded in a trip to SoCal for one to Arizona this summer.

I think Arizona will come out on top in the end anyway.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan

This will have no effect at all on Arizona. If anything it will be good for Arizona as many illegals will move to California and further drive their fiscal house into the tank.

Arizona should now stop any all and all business with any Los Angeles based firms.

cbs2.com

I could not agree more, This will swamp California with more Illegals.

Hell, Does any one speak good English in California Now?

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
As a resident of LA I can attest that our Mayor is an idiot that constantly panders to illegals. Nobody here cares about his boycott.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
nobody in the real world gives a crap about what LA does anyway.
It is nobody, who dosen't live in Arizona's concern, the people in Arizona support it. I just wish my State would do the same thing...

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Agreed. Time for Arizona to turn the screw on the already screwed up cities in Californication threatening to boycott Arizona.

Meanwhile, I will go out of my way to do business with Arizona based establishments. Second only to my home state of course.

To all of those Illegals in Arizona right now... California is beautiful this time of year.

Your Soooooooo RIGHT, The weather in California has to be perfect for sleeping in the Chevy Suburban at night. No A/C needed, just crack a window.
Please California, Take All Your Children into your rich economy and let us watch how it grows.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by guohua]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan

cbs2.com

Couldn't agree more! If there is any ringing sign of endorsement for passing a very good new law it would go something like this:

1. Illegals decide to leave Arizona over new law.....Check!
2. Mexico warns citizens about new Arizona law.....Check!
3. Los Angeles (sounds like an Hispanic name anyway) boycotts your state..Check!

Now, if Politicians and Drug Cartels threaten to stop doing business there, you have hit the JACKPOT!!!

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
As I look at responses I think to myself
Phase one: Who cares, they boycott us we boycott them
Phase two: who cares, we are boycotting each other
phase 3: another city/state boycotts AZ, AZians, no prob who cares about them
Phase 4: 3 states boycott AZ, tell them to keep their money we don't want it
Phase 5: 4 more states boycott AZ.
Phase 6: AZians: oh oh... we seemed to have shot ourselves in the foot like really really really really really really stupid stupid rednekcks!!!!!

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Illegals backing illeagals and legals supporting criminals...Thats about the extent of it and we need to shut them down!

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by zenjewel
Really? Who cares about L.A. boycotting? Not me. We've traded in a trip to SoCal for one to Arizona this summer.

I think Arizona will come out on top in the end anyway.

SEDONA, Arizona is A Great place to visit, we go there every summer and stay for a month. Oak Creek Canyon on highway 89A now that is a beautiful drive and some really nice places to stay.

I really hope you enjoy your stay in Arizona.

link   
It shows just how divided our country has become. A US city the size of LA boycotting a fellow state? Ridiculous. We should be supporting each other and not impacting each other economically. LA is a cesspool. I think we as Americans should boycott LA.

Like Nelson Mandela said the boycott in SA worked but it was very hard on the black workers. Many starved and died. But he said it was a sacrifice well worth it. I think more Americans should use the power of economic boycotts to change government and laws.

link   
Los Angeles doesn't even have a pot to pee in at the moment. Just one more reason not to worry about LA and their lack of money to spend.

The City of Angels is facing a $200 million budget deficit in the current fiscal year which will grow another half billion next year. The city will owe $399 million next year just in debt service, and it faces about $6 billion in underfunded pensions and healthcare costs for its retired employees.

www.cnbc.com...

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Phase 7: Several states after reviewing the successful new immigration enforcement laws in Arizona have decided to adopt similar or identical policies in their own states.

Phase 8: ?

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
As I look at responses I think to myself
Phase one: Who cares, they boycott us we boycott them
Phase two: who cares, we are boycotting each other
phase 3: another city/state boycotts AZ, AZians, no prob who cares about them
Phase 4: 3 states boycott AZ, tell them to keep their money we don't want it
Phase 5: 4 more states boycott AZ.
Phase 6: AZians: oh oh... we seemed to have shot ourselves in the foot like really really really really really really stupid stupid rednekcks!!!!!

How? How is it ever a bad idea to identify criminals and hold them accountable? I know a LOT of Mexican Immigrants, both legal and illegal, and the legal ones despise the illegal ones as much as "rednecks" do.

A Country has not only a right, but an obligation to its people to protect its borders!

I am all for immigration, I think it should be streamlined, and I think it should be easier to attain, and I think we should allow in as many people as possible that "LEGALLY" attain the right, but it is an outrage that we let anybody in and then refuse to punish them or send them home on their own dime!

Mexico has criminal penalties for illegal immigration, and the penalties increase on a second offense!

Canada ID's people in their ER's because of illegal immigration by Americans seeking free ER visits!

Plus, to dispute your assessment, there are many more states following AZ lead, so they won't be left out in the cold, instead we are likely to see another Mason-Dixon line with Yankees supporting immigration so they can keep their illegal nannies and house "slaves", and Southern and Southwestern states fighting to maintain their sovereignty and Constitutional Republic rights against an overbearing Federal Government and virtual war at their borders.........sound familiar?

[edit on 12-5-2010 by getreadyalready]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Arnold is having a hernia as we speak.

Poor bastard can't get any help from the Fed, can't balance his budget and now his one of his biggest cities is cutting contracts that provide revenue?

Crappy deal.

Ohh well, nobody cares about LA really, I mean do they?

Arizona will just get Texas to assist with anything they need.

~Keeper

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Phase 7: Several states after reviewing the successful new immigration enforcement laws in Arizona have decided to adopt similar or identical policies in their own states.

Phase 8: ?

AND Phase 8 : ModernAcademia left scratching their head and looking dumbfounded. No One In His / Her state speaks ENGLISH any more.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
seen the latest poll? :
www.google.com...

A majority of the public support Arizona's tough immigration law which has been criticized by President Barack Obama and outraged civil rights groups, according to an opinion poll published Wednesday.

A study by the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press found broad public support for key provisions of the Arizona immigration crackdown, which opponents have claimed will lead to racial profiling by police.

The law, which gives police the power to question an individual's immigration status and makes illegal immigration a state crime, has prompted calls for a boycott of Arizona by local officials in neighboring states.

However the Pew study of 994 adults surveyed between May 6-9 found that the Arizona immigration reform has struck a chord with the public.

Some 73 percent of those surveyed said they approved of the provision which requires people to provide proof of their legal status, compared with 23 percent who disapproved.

A further 67 percent were in favor of allowing police to detain anyone unable to verify their legal status, while 62 percent supported police having the power to question anyone they believed may in the country illegally.

Overall, 59 percent of respondents approved of the Arizona law while 32 percent disapproved, the study found.

oh yeah... if the douchebags in congress followed the will of the people on this, we wouldnt be having this discussion... there would be a wall up along the souther border complete with national guardsmen and a beefed up border patrol ...

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
So LA is bankrupt, and the best thing they can come up with is condemning other states? Which is none of their business anyway.

Once the Federal Debt Bomb explodes, I think the US will fracture.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join