It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colossal squid is a big lazy blob

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Colossal squid is a big lazy blob

www.msnbc.msn.com

Measuring longer than a school bus and sporting tentacles covered in razor-sharp hooks, the colossal squid is the stuff of nightmares. However, new research suggests the enormous sea creature may not be the fierce hunter of legend.

This finding not only upends science's understanding of the squid itself, but forces a re-evaluation of its role in the entire ecosystem where it lives, some 3,000 to 6,000 feet (914 to 1,830 meters) beneath the Antarctic sea.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.newser.com

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Found this today and found it very interesting. We all grew up believing these large squids were vicious predators who fought with whales. Now it looks like there big lazy blobs who catch what they come into contact with and arent even that nutritious for the whales to eat.... Interesting how quickly scientific theory can be turned on its head.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12-5-2010 by truth?]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I wondered why that picture looked so different from the deepwater giant squid, with super long white limbs, I am familiar with.

(The so-called giant squid belongs to the genus Architeuthis, a different group of animals from the colossal squid.)

That explains it.

RC

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I wondered that as well. Its not the Giant Squid, but its the squid with the largest mass, and is actually larger then the Giant Squid

The Colossal Squid (Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni, from Greek mesos (middle), nychus (claw), and teuthis (squid)), sometimes called the Antarctic or Giant Cranch Squid, is believed to be the largest squid species in terms of mass

Thanks Wiki.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by truth?]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Well that explains those hooks they have evolved to make sure it doesn't lose what it happens to come across. Slow, and scarce food.

There was recent show on the Goblin shark and the strange mechanism they evolved to catch their prey. In the deep sea, food is hard to find so critters develop interesting ways to cope. Shark

[edit on 5/12/10 by TheMadHatter]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Sooo,even though it holds little nutritional value for whales,why do the fat buggers eat them?

I know !

The squid is the equivalent of a happy meal !

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Well, it's a terror inducing big lazy blob none the less. Then again, everything in the ocean is terror inducing to me.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
HAHA its true, the ocean is full of scary things. I ALWAYS loved the goblin shark. such an ugly evil looking creature, and those barbs look VICIOUS!

top topics

join