It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swedish cartoonist Lars Vilks attacked by angry Muslims (Video)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by skajkingdom
I respect all prophets, of all faiths, and wouldnt want them depicted as animals or whatever.

And there's the problem.

Why *should* these religious organisations and depicted individuals be respected? Just because people say so? Because it might "offend" believers? Or, because of *exactly* what the Muslims in that room demonstrated? That any perceived lack of respect shoudl be met with violence upon said disrespecting person.

Why do we have to be so damned politically correct?

I should be able to say, "I think your religion is crap and so are your beliefs" to whoever I want without the fear of violence.

So what if someone "disrespects" a person's beliefs. Are your convictions so weak that any slight against them incites violent behaviour?

Surely if these people believed in their religion and faith then no matter what anyone says, it wouldn't matter because only what *they themselves* believe matters.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

In Islam it is Haraam to keep a dog, as a pet, except in cases permitted by the prophet Muhammad (such as hunting, guard dog, live stock control etc...) Dogs are viewed as lowly creatures and many Muslims do not have the same affection for dogs as westerners...

Well then they need to be educated about dogs, because I can say with 100% confidence they are completely wrong in this aspect, as is any faith that thinks this way. If we could give each other that kind of unconditional love, then the entire world would be better off.
I am Christian and I see God and Jesus mocked every single day and it makes me sad, but I have no desire to hurt anyone, I just simply tell myself that God will judge us all equally.
I agree with Lucid eyes "Insecure people need some love, otherwise they grow dangerous" I am secure in my faith, and for those who are not, I suggest you search within yourself and try to find what brings you peace, no matter what others around you think or do. Violence is never a good problem solver, tolerence is.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
One can understand Muslims would take great offence at seeing their most revered Prophet insulted. But how can anyone excuse this type of behaviour? People that incite violence and make death threats against those who spread views they don't like do not deserve to live in a society with Freedom of Speech.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by sickofitall2012

Well then they need to be educated about dogs, because I can say with 100% confidence they are completely wrong in this aspect, as is any faith that thinks this way.

In all religions animals are viewed differently... In Judaism and Islam the Pig is unclean and must not be eaten... In Hinduism cows are sacred... different religions have different beliefs and ideas about Animals.. Personally, i love all Animals... But that does not give me the right to judge people that have different ideas about animals to me. Nor am i as arrogant as to believe that i could educate them into seeing things my way.

As long as people are not doing harm to these creatures, what do i care if they see them as unclean and refuse to eat them! What seems completely normal to you is completely foreign to others and you should not force your values onto to others simply because you don’t agree with them!

If we could give each other that kind of unconditional love, then the entire world would be better off.

I completely agree

I am Christian and I see God and Jesus mocked every single day and it makes me sad, but I have no desire to hurt anyone, I just simply tell myself that God will judge us all equally.
I agree with Lucid eyes "Insecure people need some love, otherwise they grow dangerous" I am secure in my faith, and for those who are not, I suggest you search within yourself and try to find what brings you peace, no matter what others around you think or do. Violence is never a good problem solver, tolerence is.

Again i agree and covered much of what you said in my initial post...

Peace

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
When one teases an animal, eventually one gets bit. He has every right to draw what he wants......but he should have realized he was gonna get bit sooner or later, he's lucky he hasn't paid the ultimate price yet like the film maker did. Dealing with animals isn't ever a sure thing, he'll probably get bit again.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
When one teases an animal, eventually one gets bit. He has every right to draw what he wants......but he should have realized he was gonna get bit sooner or later, he's lucky he hasn't paid the ultimate price yet like the film maker did. Dealing with animals isn't ever a sure thing, he'll probably get bit again.

Your post reminds me of the "don't meddle in their domain and you won't get hurt" idea (Shark attacks on surfers for example). The problem is that this is not happening in their domain (Islamic states), it is happening in our OWN backyard!

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Exactly, and what do you do with it.....call animal control to remove it, or you dispatch it yourself. This has gone on long enough and it's time people took their leaders to task......either provide the security they were elected to, or step down and let someone else who can do the job in.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Hmmm... consider this...

Jesus is mocked, made fun of, etc all the time. Much of these works are offensive to Christians. Typically this will result in some letters being written stating they are offended, maybe some protests, speeches, etc.

However, at the end of the day - it has very little effect. People simply do not care of they offend Christians because they know that nothing will happen except maybe an angry letter or speech.

On the other hand - there is not as much ridicule of Muhammad as of Jesus (at least there does not seem to be in my perception). Could a reason for this be because the offense may lead to violence or threats of violence?

I hate to say it - but look at the 2 sides. One is mocked daily and nothing happens. The other is not mocked as often and when it happens you see things like this.

It is human nature, if you find something that works you tend to stick with it. Reactions of this type seem to make others think long and hard about offending Islam. I'm not saying it is the correct reaction at all - just that is how it seems to be working.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Yeah, I was agreeing with you, and I don't care how others feel about animals, but I think education about dogs is imparitive. They have yet to be fully recognized as human's right hand, and I find that very sad, because their benefits to us are numerous, but that's another thread.
I have tolerence for opinions, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with them.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Hello there. Please contribute to the previous discussion on this topic:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thank you. Thread closed.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join