It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for ATS members - Facebook or "Conspiracy" Book?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

yes count me in

How long do we have to wait for the new ATS?

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Tinbook sounds far better...FB is only really good for saying hello to friends.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I am on Facebook and will remain so . I would certainly be willing to give a site that has an ATS slant on Social Media a go .

Cheers xpert11.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
i would choose the lesser of 2 evils. and go with the ATS networking site. but seriously are we turning ATS into some teeny bopper hangout? is this about getting the good word out there while making a dollar? i dont know feels like a sellout.

WHEN ARE WE GOING TO GET AN ATS APP FOR THE IPHONE DAMMIT??!!!

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE MAKE ONE??

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
In my opinion, we can never be certain our information is secure on ATS. By the looks of the exchanges that go on here, there's plenty of indication that we are dealing with a number of govt. worker bees as it is.

I'm nearing a time when I'm going to be deactivating my Facebook account. I really don't think I would want to get so personal here on ATS, even though there are numerous people I would like to get to know better. Because of the subject matter of our discussinos, however, I think many will be apprehensive about revealing too much of themselves on a "social-network-style" ATS.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I agree, I'd check Tinbook out, myself.
2nd line.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I dont appreciate people poking their noses into others business even less so with corporate or government entities. I highly value what privacy I have left in todays world. Facebook fails to safegaurd the privacy of members. Would have to "Dumb Down" to communicate with the people on facebook. I may not agree with all I read here on ATS but that makes for some interesting and intelligent discussions at times. I have no desire or interest in using Facebook. The Tinbook idea sounds interesting.. But maintain privacy protocols and no damn data mining..

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I like the sound of tinbook, to me that would be a great thing to have. I am at facebook, but I dont use it much at all. In fact a few friends got a worm on there computers through FB, so to me having something new would be better.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
personally i think its funny how many people actually put there real names when signing up for such sites as facebook..i have a facebook account with a one letter first and last name an a scruff mgruff picture same with e-mail accounts.. i mean why advertise who u are to the world if u wanna stay under the radar? i always suggest to people if they want to put there real name into an account for a site at least make 2 accounts..one with a fake name and always use that fake one to sign up for sites when asked for e-mail addys.. and only give the real addy to those your close to such as family and friends

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
1. I don't use FB.
2. If I were to use it, there is no way anyone on ATS would get to know my FB, would it or not include my real name.
3. Would ATS launch such a "copycat" of FB, I would not use it either. There are many other ways to exchange with ATS users or non ATS users even.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I dont want my ATS account linked to my Facebook page.

ANd knowing Facebook. if you add compatibility to this site. it will eventually do it without asking.

Being logged into both sites at the same time, facebook already knows i visit here, plus they will know my name here. but i dont want that made public.

I think we need to look at the secuirty of our memebers here. and the dangers of them being targeted in the real world for things that they support, or strongly oppose on this website.

some things that could get people into danger are posted on here sometimes.
It would be a bad move.

Plus, mixing facebooks terrible privacy with this websites, pretty decent and cleanly run board. would damage its image. and promote a more buisness type image than anything.

[edit on 11-5-2010 by MR BOB]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I guess I gotta ask WHY?

FB to me is to keep tabs on family and friends -- real life stuff. I am super vigilant in terms of trying not to reveal anything too personal or serious through it -- "nothing I wouldn't tell a cop" sort of thing.

This site makes for some very interesting conversations but 99% of the time I would not want anything more than that with the people on here. I don't want to become any more of a friend or buddy with anyone here beyond a click of the "friend" button, thank you very much. I'd rather tussle intellectually and compassionately in an almost entirely anonymous fashion.

Like someone said, not knowing for sure someone's age, sex, nationality or race can distill the ether down to the essential ideas or thoughts -- an important feature of a site like this.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I personally dislike all those sorts of social sites...facebook,bebo etc etc so i would be strongly against ATS trying to implement something like that.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I'm not a fan of social networking sites, more because I think they are silly rather than due to privacy concerns. (though privacy concerns are quite legitimate with Facebook and similar sites) I do applaud the ATS stance towards privacy and protection from data mining and all that crap, so if you guys do go ahead with the idea, I think it is a good one. I just can't see myself using any sort of social networking, even if it is with ATS. The issue isn't one of trust, because I think ATS is great and trustworthy, just that I don't have a real interest in social networking.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I use facebook.

Although, for me the novelty has worn off now.

I find facebook to be full of bugs and fake profiles.
On my facebook page, it says every thing has on comment, when it dosnt.
Then you have facebook linking other sites that you visit to your page.
I know its a 'social networking site' but there are some lines you cant cross.
And with reguards to their protection of what ever infomation you've placed on the site, they have shown total neglect to it numerous times.

When these sites get to the size of facebook/twitter/bebo they get more susceptible to cyber crime/attacks which equal's more bad press and dosnt send out a good image.

Plus, I think ill get bored seeing more ''I just bought a new whatever" statements... Or in the ATS equivalent "I just seen another UFO/Ghost etc" although, the only good point of that is, if someone seen a UFO theyd be able to get the word out quicker and if anyone else in the area could take a look at the sky...

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I guess no matter how diligent an effort is made to protect privacy, in the end, the fact remains that the risk of a security breach on a site like Tinbook would have vastly more serious consequences than a breach on FB simply because of the nature of the content.

The stuff we talk about here is much more sensitive and borderline dangerous (to the minds of gov't for example) than the chit-chat on FB. I think an enhanced social network aspect to ATS that has the potential to reveal true identities is a dangerous and risky proposition on way too many levels.

Go cautiously if you go at all. I would say think of something else to enhance your site.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Having been aware of the information gathering performed by FB for some time, I can tell you that I never considered getting a profile together on that site. In fact I have as little to do with facebook as I can.
I mean sure, nothing that one does over the internet will ever be one hundred percent secure, but facebooks policy on user privacy is frankly disturbing, and for that reason, I personaly wouldnt touch them with a barge pole... I'd be too afraid of the poles IP getting tracked by some nightmare Google/Facebook hybrid deathsquad or something.
Seems a bit silly for a site such as this, to want to link up to a social network with such a poor privacy history.
The reason this is important is because there are some among us here, who have already come under fire for membership of this site,sometimes because this site has been accused by biased sources of anti semitism, and under fire also because membership of this site flags up NUT JOB to the unenlightened (this isnt ranting, I saw a thread about it months and months back).
We are living in an age increasingly controled by, or from, information gathered from the web. Making ourselves a target is pretty dumb in my opinion. Its a little different from say, a flower arranging club having a facebook page. Theres little that could be considered clandestine about lillys and geraniums , but with our discussions, I think they are better kept as contained as possible. Just my two pence. Normal service will be resumed in
END

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I'm not at all interested in using a 'phasebook' type social networking feature being added to this site. Not against it existing though as long as the general format of the site doesn't change much and what's in my profile here at present is about all I'm comfortable with having publicly available which is not much at all.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I've recently deleted my facebook due to exams and privacy concerns. Yes, it's a great way to get to know each other but I would rather ATS to stay away from that. There has been a lot of controversy on the whole "privacy" issue so...it's better to watch out.

Going on about the TinBook, I welcome that with open arms. It's an amazing idea and I hope, to see that implemented. It could be on ATS but I think that creating another site just for that would be great. It keeps the traditionality of ATS and also modernises it at the same time.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join