It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for ATS members - Facebook or "Conspiracy" Book?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I never post anything to Facebook that I would not shout from the rooftop, so I don't have any privacy concerns beyond mere common sense. I suspect that there may be some interest in using an ATS networking system beyond that already in place but I personally would not use it. Still, I must say I am intrigued by the idea of an anti-social network.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Because of privacy concerns I would not become a Facebook ATS fan. Let's go with the "Conspiracy Book"

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
i for one wouldnt be using it, since i dislike facebook.

thank you for the opportunity to voice my opinion even if it is bleek.

Marshall

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Facebook cannot be trusted! And nor can our privacy with Facebook!
I for one, dont want everybody in my high school class knowing that I post on ATS. I think it linking with facebook is a very bad idea. Not only that privacy issue, but the privacy issue of illuminati trolls here on ATS and how much easier it will be for them to track us WITH a joined facebook account.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by manta78
The Google Analytics program however is recording the ip address of each person who visits this site;

You're receiving incorrect information.

Google Privacy Center

Google Analytics is Google’s free web analytics tool that helps website owners understand how their visitors engage with their website. Google Analytics collects information anonymously, and much like examining footprints in sand, it reports website trends without identifying individual visitors.

We've specifically selected an analytics package that does not rely on collecting or storing user IP addresses. This is because we've promised our users that we will not retain, nor record visitor IP addresses.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I have all but completely abandoned my FB account.

I like the idea of a more privacy oriented social site and I am sure that it would grow quickly and reach out to more than just the conspiracy and current events minded individuals.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I have a FB profile buy rarely go there other then to check in with a few friends and my girl but that's it.I like the idea of Tinbook! count me in!

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by MisoirI support an ATS style of Facebook, or 'Tinbook' as you say.

I second that, I never liked "myspace", "Facebook" or anything like 'em. But if ATS would create a "TinBook" I might, *might* join up.

Social networking isn't my thing, but I'm sure others would jump all over it.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Given the nature of the topics discussed I feel that a separate social networking service centered around, and exclusively for, conspiracy theories and theorists--Tinbook-- is the way to go.

Opening these sorts of discussions to the public realm of site like facebook would result in an increase of ridicule for members of sites such as ATS and would give those interested in disinformation an even more public stage on which to voice their disinformation.

In short, my vote is for Tinbook.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

[edit on 10-5-2010 by Sf18443]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I never understand the "privacy concerns" when people complain about facebook. What the hell are you people putting on there that you are not putting on other forum sites? I seriously do not know. Are some of you posting your address, telephone numbers and social security numbers? I can understand there might be photos you want to remain private but I have to wonder how smart it is to put a photo onto the Internet that might get you in trouble or embarrass you. It's the Internet. Haven't we learned by now not to put personal information online?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I don't think its necessarily a bad idea but it should be "opt in" rather than "opt out." Personally, I won't use it because I have certain "philosophical reservations" about the nature of such schemes to begin with. I don't do Facebook or Myspace, and I probably wouldn't use an ATS version for similar reasons.

I certainly trust ATS more than, say, Facebook, but I think that the entire mode of interacting that way is problemmatic on a deeper level in serveral different ways.

[edit on 5/10/10 by silent thunder]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Ok your explanation should make those concerned about same happy. Again this is not an issue I am personally concerned about, but there have been many concerns voiced recently in Europe, especially Germany, over this issue. And apparently Google has decided to come up with a solution for people who are concerned:

Thursday, March 18, 2010 | 11:22 AM

"As an enterprise-class web analytics solution, Google Analytics not only provides site owners with information on their website traffic and marketing effectiveness, it also does so with high regard for protecting user data privacy. Over the past year, we have been exploring ways to offer users more choice on how their data is collected by Google Analytics. We concluded that the best approach would be to develop a global browser based plug-in to allow users to opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics. Our engineers are now hard at work finalizing and testing this opt-out functionality. We look forward to make it globally available to our users in the coming weeks."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I would prefer the tinbook option

I wouldn't abandon Facebook though as I have family members on there

Thanks

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
If I want to be on a Facebook, I'll join Facebook & let the world know when I'll be away from my home on vacation

I vote no Facebook crap on ATS, It's our own little conspiracy world, don't gum it with this. Stay different from the rest not along side of the sheeple.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Tinbook.

Compartmentalization is a form of privacy protection.

I vote for that option.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I just can't help but bristle at the thought of LESS privacy.
Already, there are people murmuring about IP tracking in order, for instance, to make sure that banned members remain banned, and are unable to return without detection.

If this is true, well, it is just very worrisome.

To be unconcerned about privacy issues these days, may sound "team-player-ish" for right now, but it just isn't realistic.

And, I do not want to sound overly negative about the ideas being thrown around. I just believe it will be a good idea for ATS to keep these issues in mind while taking the next steps.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by UrbineCowboy]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
So the question is, if we were to lunch such a new site/service, would you use it. And if you did, would it cause you to abandon Facebook?

edit on 10-5-2010 by SkepticOverlord because: (typo fix)

I would, at the very least, strongly consider using it.

I don't use Facebook at all, or any other social networking site for that matter, so it would have no impact at all in that respect, for me.

On a side note: ever consider getting a designated proofreader, Mr. SO?

(Joking
)

[edit on 11-5-2010 by TheAssociate]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
The Chinese Connection.

As you know, here in China, The Masters have banned Facebook; I guess The Masters have deduced that the youth of China are already zonked-out enough and don't need the inane Facebook to quicken their mental collapse.

Anyway...I wonder, if ATS became associated with Facebook...would that then lead to ATS becoming banned in China?

Who knows???

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by univac500

Good question! I am actually surprised that they haven't banned ATS in your country except by government officials.... interesting!

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Sounds great...But please don't call it "Tin". You would be self denigrating everyone who posts there by referring to it as tin.

Plus you would be limiting those same people who fear the name could be used against them...

Sort of like what has been in the news recently about how the mass murderers had posted to an alternative site called XYZ.

A cool but normal name would take it mainstream, and be user friendly to all.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by skepticantiseptic]

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join