It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

29th September 2004

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I have long felt that the arrival of Toutatis will bring with it some serious calamity. Will Toutatis hit? Is Toutatis the "rolling mountain" referred to in various predictions. For those that don't know, Toutatis is a NEO that will have its closest orbit to earth in over 300 years. Its rotation is totally unlike any other asteroid and less predictable. I do feel confident that Toutatis will come much closer than the predicted 4 lunar distances.

www.space.com...
www.eecs.wsu.edu...

"The reason that the great majority of (known) solar system objects are in principal-axis spin states is tidal damping. Assume an object is rotating about some axis at an angular rate of W and the moment of inertia about this axis is I. The angular momentum L=IW is a constant because of the conservation of angular momentum. The kinetic energy is T=IW2. Since W=L/I we have T=L2/I. Any real object that is wobbling around will dissipate energy through internal friction, so T will decrease. The only way for this to happen is for I to increase (L is a constant). Therefore, the spin state will evolve until the object is rotating about the axis of maximum I, which is the spin state of minimum energy for a given angular momentum. This process has already more-or-less happened for the majority of known solar system bodies. That is why we find them in principal-axis spin states about their axis of maximum inertia. "

Mark that date on your calendar 29-09-2004 - I am willing to apologise publicly if I am wrong about Toutatis.

[edit on 6-6-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   
oh well that gives me 8 days to play Fable at least.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 10:22 PM
link   
From the Space.com article:

Toutatis looks something like a dumbbell hurtling awkwardly through space. It has a crazy rotation that makes normal days impossible. Scientists can't explain the shape or the spin, but they're eager to learn more in September when, during the close pass, even backyard skywatchers will be able to spot the asteroid.

Well known path

The orbit of Toutatis is pinned down with better precision than any other large asteroid known to cross Earth's orbit.

----snip----

Researchers can't predict far enough into the future to rule out Toutatis ever slamming into Earth, so it is listed officially as a Potentially Hazardous Asteroid. NASA says it won't hit for at least the next six centuries.

Interesting, nonetheless, but I will say 'no', I do not forsee a impact happening this September. Just in case though, maybe someone can contact ATARI?

BTW, you'd have probably been better off going with the prediction that LA is going to be hit by a massive earthquake, which interestingly, is projected to hit September the 5th +/-.
UCLA Geophysicist Warns 6.4 Quake To Hit LA By Sept 5'

seekerof

[edit on 6-6-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Dear Seekerof,

You better be prepared to make an apology about that!

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Dude, you need to think about what your saying, k?
Cause if we do get hit, you really think anyone will be up here to give "apologies" or anything else for that matter?

seekerof

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Oh dude, trust me I know that....there are certain others that don't! :p

(by the way this is just a joke, and I'm letting you in on that fact because everyone around here seems to have a stick up their butt )

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   
as a person with psychic skills, I know there is a great danger in giving an exact date & time for a disaster. Author-I hope you are wrong.

With all due respect-it feels like you are wrong, too.....

But, I admire your courage in posting!

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I read all the comments about my posting. They were slightly amusing.

1) However I must state that firstly, I never said that Toutatis would hit although it is generally held that Toutatis has the greatest chance of any huge asteroid of hitting within this century.
2) A paper on the potential of Toutatis hitting was written at Harvard under pseudonym for Toutatis of "Fatum". Doesn't exactly seem like its really been considered to be innocuous.
3) As this asteroid hasn't been this close in over 300 years its rather presumptuous of anybody to say they can fully predict what will happen.
4) In the end it really doesn't matter whether you believe me to be a nutcase. My prediction is that Toutatis will have a huge influence over the earth whether it collides or is just a near miss.
5) Unlike others I have not tried to be vague and I am fully willing to stand by my "lunatic ramblings".

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyspiritguide
as a person with psychic skills, I know there is a great danger in giving an exact date & time for a disaster. Author-I hope you are wrong.

With all due respect-it feels like you are wrong, too.....

But, I admire your courage in posting!

LOL! The great danger in being "exact" is that you will be proven wrong. So much for "psychic" skills. Oxymoron.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Interesting, nonetheless, but I will say 'no', I do not forsee a impact happening this September. Just in case though, maybe someone can contact ATARI?

Or Pisky ... I loved the Asteroids game in the 80's. Pretty good at it too. If Nasa want to give me a spacecraft to shoot Toutatis down, I'm available for hire.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 01:12 AM
link   

LOL! The great danger in being "exact" is that you will be proven wrong. So much for "psychic" skills. Oxymoron.

I beg to differ-I am on record with both Mike Segal, and George Noory for making very specific psychic predictions, that were true.

None of this vague "Someone with the letter "A"-stuff either.

[edit on 04-08-2004 by ladyspiritguide]

top topics

join