It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope Nearly Endorses the Shroud of Turin, But Is It Real?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Pope Nearly Endorses the Shroud of Turin, But Is It Real?

www.livescience.com

On Sunday Pope Benedict XVI prayed before the Shroud of Turin, believed by many to be the burial shroud of Jesus. Benedict said that the shroud (which he called "an icon written in blood") provides a lesson in maintaining hope in the face of adversity, and that the faithful can see their trials and sufferings "mirrored" in the suffering of Christ as depicted on the shroud.

"This is a burial cloth that wrapped the remains of a crucified man in full correspondence with what the Gospels tell us of Jesus," Benedict said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I guess Pope Benedict doesn't watch the history channel, nor did he get the memo from Pope Clement that it was a fake. It is interesting to see how the Catholic Church changes it's opinion on things through the years. They take their time, but they warm up to new ideas. The idea that the shroud is real, however is ridiculous.

www.livescience.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I was shocked by his visit as well. At the time of Jesus' death people were typically buried with their face exposed. It wasn't for like 800 years later when people started covering the face for burial. That, despite all the other proofs it's not real... no matter - facts aren't that improtant in some religions anyway, long as people believe.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I don't believe the shroud is real. But it's a great art piece. Shows you the early Christians used it in rituals. For instance every Easter there's a Crucifixion in the Philippines. What do you think about that? Wait tell the Pope can trace Jesus to the Philippines.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I haven't looked into the shroud a whole lot, however, I am fairly convinced by the camera obscura theory. I'm not saying that I accept it as fact, but in my opinion it is the most plausible explanation. I'm still open to other suggestions though.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
If anyone can explain to me how a properly proportioned flat image can be created on something that was supposed to have been wrapped round a 3 dimensional object, I'll consider that the shroud of Turin may be an actual burial shroud. As to whose, it would still be impossible to say.
In the meantime, I'm certain its a fake.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
The shroud is absolutely positively the burial cloth of Christ.

What is not often spoken about is the other part of the shroud in Spain.

When placed together, the blood stains match.

Those of you still holding to the concept that the shroud was carbon dated to 1300 AD are behind the times. The patch that was carbon dated was taken from the section of the shroud that was repaired after a fire at around 1300 AD. No carbon dating was done of the interior old section of the shroud.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Jim Scott

Maybe you're correct! Here' really realistic video of the figure of Jesus in the shroud. Not that it could be the burial cloth, but still it's really neat.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
The shroud of Tourin got it's marks from Jacques de Molay, the last leader of the Knights Templars. He was, during his torture subjected to the same treatment as Jesus, including a crucifixion. He was however, taken off the cross before he died, wrapped in the shroud and "buried" (left in a tomb/prison cell) for three days. He was later burned at the stake for heresy, after he retracted his confession.

This explains the markings, the 3D-effect and not least the carbon dating. Look in to it (further than wikipedia) and you will find some interesting links to freemasonry, the Vatican, Pope vs leader of Knights Templars, the discovery of America and the link to European royalty. Jacques de Molay was a perfect "later-to-be-known-as-Illuminati" sacrifice.

Of course the Pope wants us to woreship the shroud. It's perfect irony :-)

[edit on 8-5-2010 by Koyaanisqatsi]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
it doesn't matter if the shroud is real or not, what matters is faith and belief. a piece of cloth is insignificant , to put all your focus on that instead of Jesus is wrong. if your faith hinges on a piece of fabric then you're doing something wrong. to get in an argument whether carbon 14 dating is accurate or not is even worse. its like someone insults your mother and you push your mother out of the way to get to him.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunken Drum

Actually on the history channels "bringing the shroud to life" show they had to make a 3-D head to drape the shroud around to actually make the proportions of the shroud right for the modeling programming.
Whether its jesus or de-molay or a self portrait of da vinci its still an amazing thing to behold.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Hello. Please redirect the discussion to the previous thread on this topic:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thank you. Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join