It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New recycling bins with tracking chips coming to Alexandria, Virginia!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

New recycling bins with tracking chips coming to Alexandria, Virginia!!!

[url=http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/local/New-recycling-bins-with-tracking-chips-coming-to-Alexandria-92880219.html]www.washingtonexaminer.com[/url ]

Alexandria residents soon will have to pay for larger home recycling bins featuring built-in monitoring devices.

The City Council added a mandatory $9 charge to its residents' annual waste collection fee.

That cash -- roughly $180,000 collected from 19,000 residents-- will pay for new larger recycling carts equipped with computer microchips, which will allow the city to keep tabs on its bins and track resident participation in the city's recycling program.

"If you know who's participating in the programs, you can focus your education and outreach to those who are not participating
(visit the link for the full news article)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/90e744b943ae.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 5/6/2010 by anon72]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
If this doesn't give you the willies!!!!! When I saw the report a while back that they were doing this in England I thought NO WAY would that crap fly here. well....

This is crazy, in my opinion. More feel good stuff that infringes on our rights, even more.

Does anyone elese know of any USA community doing this, or proposing this type of program? Please put info here. i would like to learn more-to fight it.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7f8c40f5ce96.jpg[/atsimg]
[url=http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/local/New-recycling-bins-with-tracking-chips-coming-to-Alexandria-92880219.html]www.washingtonexaminer.com[/url ]
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/6/2010 by anon72]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I was shocked also, being a Virginian, but down here in the capital city, Alexandria is considered a part of D.C. Tracking chips in recycling containers are for your own good (Don't mind those chains around your legs, either, you get those when they find out you missed last Tues.)

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Remember when I was a kid. I always talked of going to see the place I was born, Alexandria VA. Good to know that I never wasted my time.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by agenten

What ever do you mean and to what are you referring to?

You reply is a little vauge. Please expand.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Some places in the UK have this, where I live we don't but our wheelie bins to have a space where a chip will be inserted - I check every so often to see if they stuck one in there...

If I see one I've heard it's a simple case of using a screw driver to pop it out, I was thinking about maybe nukeing it in a microwave for 30 seconds on high and glueing it back in (so they don't replace it)... Or I may take a hammer to it, or if I'm feeling twisted I may employ my ninja skills and go swapping every chip in my street in the wee small hours of the morning

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

I check every so often to see if they stuck one in there...

That is exactly what I am talking about. Look at what that sentence. How scary.

The recycle police. This has to stop.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Years ago, when I lived in a far north suburb of Chicago, we had recycle bins through our garbage collection, that came with a lot of rules. Only certain types of glass, plastic, paper, etc...for the bins.

When I went to move, I found out that the charge for each bin would be ridiculous, if they were not accounted for.

I mean these were like milk crates, that were color coded.

Perhaps the need for these trackers indicates whom is recycling what. A way for the collection company to figure out their costs for the bins, etc...

Why bother collecting for glass, if not enough people are putting it out there?

Not everything needs to be a conspiracy. I see this as a way for a company to track their costs, and nothing more.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

tabs on its bins and track resident participation in the city's recycling program.
reply to post by Blanca Rose

To track the participation. That is just wrong. COMPLY or else. THe Gov't doesn't need anymore info on me, even trash info.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Sorry, I don't agree. This is about doing the right thing in regards to recycling.

I'm of the opinion that if you are too lazy to participate, by putting your crap into the correct bins, you should be tagged for it, or even fined.

Unless you don't care about tomorrow, and the waste you leave behind.

What's wrong with doing the right thing?

I do agree that nobody should dictate to you how to separate your trash, but apparently, a few people make it rough on everybody else.

Put the blame on people who don't care. They must far outweigh people who object to this sort of action.

top topics

join