It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Somalis hijack Russian tanker, warship dispatched

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Somalis hijack Russian tanker, warship dispatched

in.reuters.com

* Russian-owned tanker had $52 million worth of crude oil

* Was heading for China with 23 Russian crew

* Russian warship headed towards tanker

* Pirates warn against rescue attempt

(Adds Russian chief of staff returning, warship dispatched)
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.yahoo.com
newsinfo.inquirer.net

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Hey guys.
This one is gonna be to watch out for. If the Somali pirates blow this tanker up we are gonna have another oil disaster outside of Gulf of Mexico. Hopefully the pirates run away before the forces show up because it will be a bloodbath.
The Russian sailors have heart. They did not give up and are still locked up away from the Pirates keeping in contact with the Russian forces that are still on the way. The Russian fleet should be making physical contact within the next 30 minutes of me writing this article.
Feel free to add update since I'm leaving for work and will not be able to post any updates.

Here are some more news links.

Enjoy.

in.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Taikun

Thanks for the thread, nice catch. I am sure that the Russian navy will have no authority to engage the pirates though without the president taking a break from golf and having ice cream with his children and giving them the go ahead. /sarcasm

In all reality I am sure they will handle the situation much more professionally than we handled ours last time and this will be over quickly and to the satisfaction of Russia. I am curious though why they are shipping oil in a tanker from Russia to China.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
The pirates are really ballsy to mess with Mother Russia. And like Mother Nature, Mother Russia doesn't usually put up with a lot of crap like the US does. It should be interesting to see how this unfolds. I hope the crew remains safe as well as the Russian military.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Somalians messing with Russians. Wow these guys have balls. I hope they know they are going to get caught, and when they do they are going to much more then a slap on the wrist.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
wow........what were thay thinking? thay should abandon ship while the russki`s are still on the way. thay are gonna need something special to get anything out of this. any one know were the best place for upto the min reporting of this?

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
This is going to be really interesting. You can bet one thing for sure, those Pirates are going to wish they had left that tanker alone.

There will not be any "capture the pirates and return them home".. they will get turned into shark bait.

I have been hoping they would be stupid enough to mess with the Russians. The Russians need nice warm spots for vacation destinations and they might just go through Somalia like poopy through a goose. I would love it.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Taikun

oops.
Incredibly stupid thing to do.

I figured pirates would check who they were boarding beforehand? guess I was wrong.

hope it turns out okay.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
If anything happens to that oil, I don't think China will be very happy either. So then the pirates will have two major players to worry about. Not a smart move at all on their part.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I'm with Wolftotem, they are gonna be sorry they messed with a Russian vessel. Watch Putin send in some serious damage.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Taikun

I wish the US would dispose of thier Nuclear Weapons arsenal on Somalia, seriously thats the most worthless place on this planet, the whole city is overrun by kids with RPG's and AK47's and they just shoot people for the hell of it. Totally useless individuals that should be removed from this planet in the most inhumane manner. Ok im done ranting, I feel better now.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
This should be interesting. Honestly, how stupid do you have to be to do this to the Russians? After the Russians get through with them, I have a feeling those Somali pirates are going to wish they'd never been born. Can't say I'll have a bit of sympathy when the Russians finally catch up to them, either.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I like the Russians, they have balls unlike many of my fellow Americans and virtually all Europeans except the British.

I can't wait to see what they do to the pirates. Maybe while they are at it they can rid the whole Somali coast of pirates too.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Haven't these guys admitted to being a subsidiary of Goldman Sachs?

If that is indeed true than this hijacking has much deeper implications than some random Somali pirates wanting to steal oil. The cold war never ended and this is just one, but small, example of proxy politics in action. Let's hope it doesn't result in another environmental disaster or loss of life.

In my opinion, you will not see any action taken by Russia on this issue other than some steadfast rhetoric issued as warning.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out...

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolftotem
The pirates are really ballsy to mess with Mother Russia. And like Mother Nature, Mother Russia doesn't usually put up with a lot of crap like the US does. It should be interesting to see how this unfolds. I hope the crew remains safe as well as the Russian military.

You kidding me? The SEALS took out the pirates that were on the Mirsk Alabama, didn't they?

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Russians responding with a warship only means that the ship hold something very dear to the Russians. I smell "Uranium"....

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
That was fast.

it's over

Lesson: Don't touch Russia's stuff.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I reckon.

Here's the story on yahoo. They say shots were fired, but no one was injured.

Russian special forces storm oil tanker, free ship

[edit on 6/5/10 by NuclearPaul]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Lol!

There's so many posts about how stupid it was to do this to the Russians, and how they will regret it.

There would have been a few butts kicked, that's for sure.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
WTF? Stop selling your country short, Americans.

Originally posted by ChrisF231
I like the Russians, they have balls unlike many of my fellow Americans and virtually all Europeans except the British.

YEAH MAN, Americans are cowards and are helpless to do anything to defeat the Somali pirates.

www.foxnews.com...

Arlington, Va. -- Captain Richard Phillips is now safe and healthy aboard the USS Boxer after Navy Seals launched a rescue attempt that ended when snipers killed three pirates in three shots, all direct hits to the head.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join