It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VID See the Fingerprints Your Browser Leaves when you're Surfing the Web & How Easily ID'd you are

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 825,227 tested so far.

Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys at least 19.65 bits of identifying information.

Odd. Same result for me.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Hmmm, I have half a mind to send an email to this Panopticlick organization to inquire about this number with a link to this post. I am curious of the explanation they'll give as to why we're all getting the same number from the results page.

We can't all possibly have the same fingerprint, what would the odds be? Not to mention that kind of puts a damper on their claim that we have an individually identifiable fingerprint, wouldn't it?

Very curious indeed!

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
reply to post by Goethe

(Your thoughts, your likes/dislikes, sexual interests, sexual perversions, interests, intellect levels, morals, just about everything about you can be found out in under 2 minutes by TPTB if they need to.)

It makes one wonder why they need the US Census Bureau anymore. You can get more information from a FB page than what is on the Census form lol. Figuratively speaking of course, but not too far from literal.

Facebook is international and free and no content is verified at all. Census attempts to enumerate everyone.. even those who have never touched a computer in their lives. Their collected data is protected under Title 13 USC, so there is little cross pollination of that data between .gov agencies. That may change in the future as technology and .gov need-to-know merge. There are other by-products of the Census such as their mapping and GPS map spotting which are a whole other issue.

When it comes to giving up identity on the net, seems like IP address is the dead giveaway here... And even if your IP is dynamic, that assignment is logged somewhere along the line. And proxy servers may give you warm and fuzzy, but how far can you trust them? You can jump through hoops to make it difficult to be tracked but living in the post 911 era, we have to accept network security... What is really objectionable is when other profiteers use the same techniques and deployment for advertisement, spam, etc.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
Hmmm, I have half a mind to send an email to this Panopticlick organization to inquire about this number with a link to this post. I am curious of the explanation they'll give as to why we're all getting the same number from the results page.

We can't all possibly have the same fingerprint, what would the odds be? Not to mention that kind of puts a damper on their claim that we have an individually identifiable fingerprint, wouldn't it?

Very curious indeed!

If you do send email to EFF about Panopticlick, ask them how they derive
a fraction of a bit? And they are giving you any feedback about the 19 bits that are unique, and from which protocol? I sort suspect that .gov has built in backdoors rolled into the operating systems,,, i've seen it described in blogs along with certain pieces of evidence to back up the claim. It is safe to assume each device on network is unique unless you have gone to great effort/cost to spoof/clone everything. (and even at that, you could still be tracked... )

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   
My results:

"Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 825,376 tested so far.

Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys at least 19.65 bits of identifying information."

My system: Slackware 12.1 (Linux), Firefox

If I (really not often) need some privacy, I go through my company network (VPN) to our webserver at datahouse and use it as gateway. Then I'm not traceable as person.
It is enough to update one browser plugin or add new font and your OS/browser fingerprint will change.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join