It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The WOW signal (6EOUJ567) first contact

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by GobbledokTChipeater

Actually, the numbers and letters correspond to an intensity scale. The letters and numbers are not the actual data received.

Yes it was a representation of signal (duration and strength) which for 1977 technology was pretty dang good... And thank you to whoever gave that link to the explanation of how "big ear" worked. Sky surveys are really tough to implement and have a big price tag for deployment, but here we are 30+ years later, and our compute power is alot more sophisticated for the task... Despite the complexities involved, humanity always need to deploy our best effort and technology to such surveys, not necessarily a SETI application, but hi-tech radio telescopes that are capable to detecting inbound signals from planets, asteroids, comets, and anything else that might be heading in our direction. As far as broadcasting a signal... that's a whole other can of worms.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
ENDGAME....The final storys.

"When an Alien Alliance Force of Humans Beings from other galaxys came to earth there was War , but not the one we thought it would be ........"

They used technology which exposed the current World Shadow Government as an Evil Slave Master Race of Reptile Origin who manipulated our leaders , using the politicians as to 'debate and bargain the many fates of world human affairs , the government was to expertly lie and keep the public under control because the truth is that we all have to answer to this Slave Master Race of Aliens who have Two Political Factions of their Own,One Against Our Cause , And ONE Faction For Our CAuse ,who have been here for eons ,but because the newcomers came , the scales of power were even for all PARTYS !!! , And the people rose to restore justice ,but had mercy on the politicians and for the the situation they were in .
The Fed Bank/CIA etc was the SGT OF ARMS/ACCOUNTANT for the WOrld Shadow Government , ... Destroyed , ...and labelled Terrorists , BAnnished to Mars ,
There was a mass evacuation of the planet to Mars while the Reptilians politely removed the Moon from our orbit , as it was arificial and used as a MIND Matrix , which ancient sumerians had writtin and drawn in ancient text , THE FAMOUS WINGED dISK wasnt nibiru or planet x , but the arrival of the Moon , The moon was a space station ! Huge Underground Cities which controlled the Giant Space Station ,the house of reptiles and the like , But protest that not all could go to mars caused the Reptillians to abandon the moon as a gift to the Humans of Earth , A treaty was signed for Peace and the Reptillians then returned to Draconia ,along with the grays .Also all other races that were involved ,back to their home starsystems.
SOme pioneer earthfolk stay on mars determined to focus on land cultivation , Spreading forrest growth towards a better mars ,most returned to Earth , Alot of Cowboys liked Mars as to a new wild west but with protest from earth ..One quarter of Mars was given to earth to usher in a Peace Treaty .

In the end we all are set free from the chains of conscience blocking technolgy , and are truly connected to the univese , The ALien Aliance force of Humans from other galaxys are also totally free , a great love of mankind a true standout in their personalitys is the reason why they travel through Galaxys to free Human Planets from the Tyranny of Reptiles ,or the like

We are one for they are us and we are them , and the univese tells you this as your Dna changes and upgrades automaticaly , its as real as it gets , EVERYTHING IS FREE , We mourn the population of all who died under reptilian control , TRUE PEACE as EARTH BECOMES THE NEW JEWEL OF THE UNIVERSE and all Humans from all around the UNIVERSE come to greet the NEWBORN BABY ie.....The People of Earth , The Great Ones , The Survivors..

That is my ENDGAME ...the final storys ..

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by duality90
It is also notable that the signal strength was not constant but started off weak and then peaked (imagine a positive parabolic curve the likes of y=(x^3)) before falling back to nothing.

I think the original article hinted that the cause of that was the 72 seconds it took for the earth to rotate through the signal - sort of like tuning your radio, the signal gets weaker either side of the perfect alignment.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by seenitall

Quantum entanglement cannot be used to send information. Although it can be used to ensure the channel is not intercepted.

-rrr

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I beleive the most likely source of the signal was two ET ships sending messages to each other, of course they are not there anymore, they have probaly moved on to another part of the galaxy, thats why we havnt heard from it again.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

Wait a second....has anyone NOT realized that this ENTIRE PREMISE, of this thread, relies on the assumption that sufficiently advanced "ETs" would STILL be using 'radio' to communicate?

Does no one else see a cognizant disconnect, here?

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

It doesn't matter, just because we see radio as pretty primitive stuff doesn't mean ET wouldnt use this way of communication between there ships.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
The so-called "Wow!" signal has always fascinated me. According to the references linked to in Wikipedia (I caution against taking Wikipedia at face value without reading the references personally,) a terrestrial reflection origin has been more or less ruled out. Furthermore, the signal was at a frequency extremely near to that of the hydrogen line. While I agree that its lack of repetition renders it potentially dubious, we should probably keep in mind the possibility of a signal sent specifically on a one-time basis (as others have stated, this has happened with our own SETI program before). We have no reason to assume that any hypothetical entities sending the signal know we're here at all, and it's entirely possible that our reception of it was entirely due to chance.

Then there's the issue of no further electromagnetic signals originating from the same direction. If they use technology capable of transmitting a detectable electromagnetic signal, why haven't we detected any trace of their less specific electromagnetic radiation? I have to keep an open mind to the possibility that the signal originated from some sort of traveling probe or other moving object that we might not detect additional signals from, rather than from a planet itself.

And of course, it's always possible that an entirely natural phenomenon is responsible for the signal. We have no way of knowing.

The saddest and most frustrating part is that we'll never know in our lifetimes, as even if it originated from a planet orbiting one of the stars in Chi Sagittarii, the nearest would take 220 years to detect any signal from us, and an additional 220 years to then redirect further signals at our region of their "sky."

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickyrrr
reply to post by seenitall

Quantum entanglement cannot be used to send information. Although it can be used to ensure the channel is not intercepted.

-rrr

That sounds so final. Why not? If I can reconstruct your message on my screen here based on an electron giving a 0-1 signal why couldn't QE be used to do the same thing?

[edit on 2010/5/5 by Aeons]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

Wait a second....has anyone NOT realized that this ENTIRE PREMISE, of this thread, relies on the assumption that sufficiently advanced "ETs" would STILL be using 'radio' to communicate?

Does no one else see a cognizant disconnect, here?

No need to be advanced at all. If some civilization reached radio tech in Proxima Centuri today we could pick it up in less then a decade. If tech development runs along the same lines we would be seeing them at a less advanced stage then ourselves.

For all we know the WOW signal was the first/last signal some race made before they got turned into paste by an Asteroid.

Who knows we may find out someday that civilzations have set up filters to prevent races at our tech level from seeing each other and the WOW signal was an accident that got through during routine maintence

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
What I find so interesting about the WOW signal is that it is exactly the signal that was being looked for.

From what I gather, the project coordinators working with Scientists and technicians at the big ear installation got together and tried to figure out what the most likely signal from an alien race would be. As I recall it had something to do with the frequency of something to do with hydrogen (most abundant element in the galaxy, therefore most observed)

And then bam, they found the exact signal that they were looking for. But only once. Kind of a mystery.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Well we have sent out radio signals for just over 100 yrs and Tv for more than half that but if ET has watched some of our tv programs they will know that there is very little intelligent life HERE!

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I can't remember where I heard this as it was a while ago. But I was watching an interview online possibly with a whistle blower from some sort of government agency, maybe nasa or similar. The interviewee conveyed that a signal was recieved from a planet in our solar system(can't remember which one) which was decoded. It was some kind of dialogue which they responded to with a singal of their own. Later on they got another signal back saying something along the lines of 'we were'nt talking to you'.

I really wish I could remember where I heard that.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Just googled it and found it has allready been discussed on ATS.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Its nice to finally see something on this site that I had no previous knowledge of. Lately, it seems like we've been grasping at straws for a new topic to debate.

There is no doubt in my mind that we have been contacted by something not of this world. Whether you believe in God, Jesus, ET, you cant help but see SO MUCH evidence pointing to mankind being in contact with "something from the heavens", probably since the beginning of time.

I really dont know what people are expecting as far as disclosure or a "alien message." Do we really expect to finally receive a post card from Orion's Belt? I would think we are being a little silly in thinking that beings capable of interstellar travel would communicate like we do. But, who knows?

I think people are expecting something along the lines of this video:

Stephen Hawking was RIGHT!!!

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Kevin Randle posted about the Wow Signal in March:

kevinrandle.blogspot.com...

Many skeptics will not accept it as it was never repeated. It remains unsolved to this day.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by kidflash2008

Kevin Randle posted about the Wow Signal in March:

kevinrandle.blogspot.com...

Many skeptics will not accept it as it was never repeated. It remains unsolved to this day.

I hate to repeat myself so I'll copy paste....

consider that when humankind used the Arecibo radio telescope to send a message out into space in 1974, it was only sent once.

why is it so far fetched when we ourselves only sent out the one message one time?

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008

Well we have sent out radio signals for just over 100 yrs and Tv for more than half that but if ET has watched some of our tv programs they will know that there is very little intelligent life HERE!

Most of our transmissions disperse before they leave our system.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Well.....are you forgetting a very basic fact, about EM radiation??

...just because we see radio as pretty primitive stuff doesn't mean ET wouldnt use this way of communication between there ships.

I'll let you all chew on, and ponder this.....(hint).....pssst....."speed of light"....

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

Originally posted by wmd_2008

Most of our transmissions disperse before they leave our system.

Can you explain what you mean? because our signals will have radiated in all directions.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join