It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico drug wars: Victims seek asylum in Canada; no warm reception

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Mexico drug wars: Victims seek asylum in Canada; no warm reception

www.examiner.com

Slideshow: Warning, graphic
Victims of Mexico’s drug wars flee to Canada for asylum and get no warm reception there.
“In 2006 there were 4,955 refugee claims from Mexico, of which 932 were accepted into Canada, a success rate of 28%. Last year, there were 9,309 claims from Mexico with 516 accepted, a success rate of 8%. This week, the IRB released its numbers for the first quarter of 2010 and the visa restriction's impact is clear, with claims way down but the acceptance rate unchanged at 8%
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Some of these folks have horrifying stories to go with their requests for asylum too...

The claims include a truck driver ordered to transport drugs by a police commander who threatened him and his family. The truck driver was beaten when he reported it to police.

A journalist uncovered transportation of children’s corpses and linked it to illicit organ trafficking. He was threatened and involved in a car accident. Members of his family were hurt. According to experts, his car’s brake lines had been cut but police would not help.

A woman pressured by her ex-husband to transport coc aine, who was an agent of the federal police, went into hiding. Each time she found a new hiding spot he would find and threaten her.

One radio reporter investigated links between drug traffickers and police. He was assaulted and threatened, and fled to another city. He pleaded for help but his pleas were ignored. After he fled to another city with his family, his wife and children were involved in an intentional automobile accident

Each of these pleas for asylum was dismissed by the IRB, arguing that Mexico could protect its own citizens. The decision was recently appealed successfully to the Federal Court of Canada.

www.examiner.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I wonder if we will have any of the Canadian members coming in to tell us why their government is denying these refugees.

They obiviously have a great deal of knowledge how the US should handle the situation regarding illegals and refugees.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca
I wonder if we will have any of the Canadian members coming in to tell us why their government is denying these refugees.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

Maybe but there was one comment on the news web site that pretty much summed it up

Bear in mind that some of the people fleeing Mexico's 'general criminality' are probably FUGITIVES, and possibly complicit in some of these attrocities.

We can't be an escape-hatch for the world's problems. Our immigration intake (over 250,000 annually--recession, or not) is beyond any level of sanity, especially given the problems of urban sprawl, loss of farmland (less than 5% of Canada's land is arable, mostly around metro areas experiencing sprawl) and severely-overtaxed freshwater reserves.

Arizona's SB 1070--which merely requires local and state police to enforce EXISTING Federal law--is symptomatic of the realisation that 'enough is enough.' Here in Canada, we don't need to keep importing the problems of every corner of the earth. Mexicans should start dealing with their country's criminality and political instability themselves. And accusations of 'racist' Northerners don't stand up to the fact that Mexico itself doesn't tolerate Central American asylum-seekers, or migran

Seems to me they have many of the same prejudices we have... go figure...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

thanks for the heads up daddy bare! quit interesting to think that America can no longer be the bad guy as Canada has proven itself just as inneffcient of processing mexicans as America has been, with Canada being obvious more rascist if that is the term that they keep using to throw around, Where in Sam hill is the outrage for this, or is it that Canada sticks by there laws and regulations and does not worry about people crying about legislation that has worked out very well for them for quit some time

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by allprowolfy

Remember this part from the story

A journalist uncovered transportation of children’s corpses and linked it to illicit organ trafficking.

now you would think that guy would be welcomed with open arms, handed over to international LE so the people doing this could be caught and stopped...

Nope... he was one of those denied

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Not really anything out of the ordinary. I'm sure that the US has rejected as many if not more petitions for asylum to victims of the mexican drug war. I'm sure ICE knows many would try to take advantage of the situation even if they are not true victims so they really have to make a good case (the immigrant) or they are just turned around.

This has nothing to do with illegals. Illegals don't ask for visas, permits or asylum they just waltz on in regardless of the laws on the books or the requirements to be eligible for asylum.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

you are right the illegals don't ask they sneak in... and the US is just as bad about asylum seekers...

remember the story of those little Mexican villages burned out near the border with Texas???

I read some three hundred fled to the border all asking asylum... 98 of those were granted, the rest are now in holding cells waiting... still they would rather be in those cells than back home...

It all falls back on Mexico... if they had cleaned up their mess we wouldn't be where were are, arguing about what to do with all her citizens..

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

you are right the illegals don't ask they sneak in... and the US is just as bad about asylum seekers...

remember the story of those little Mexican villages burned out near the border with Texas???

I read some three hundred fled to the border all asking asylum... 98 of those were granted, the rest are now in holding cells waiting... still they would rather be in those cells than back home...

It all falls back on Mexico... if they had cleaned up their mess we wouldn't be where were are, arguing about what to do with all her citizens..

Interesting and I just saw a news clip about 250 Haitians having been granted temporary humanitarium asylum by Mexico.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Seems to me they have many of the same prejudices we have... go figure...

You can't just go to whatever country you want and demand asylum lol. The ones who were granted asylum probably had legit cases while the others were just looking to get around the application process to avoid showing a criminal record, involvement in the drug war themselves or that they have no means of income once here.

My cousin from Scotland was deported last summer because he couldn't find work in 3 months, that's just how it goes, nothing prejudiced about it. If he had his break lines cut or got beat up at home that wouldn't change anything either, that's a job for the local authorities, not our government.

[edit on 5/4/2010 by ZombieOctopus]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieOctopus

Thank you for that!
you are so very right!!!

nothing prejudiced about it. If he had his break lines cut or got beat up at home that wouldn't change anything either, that's a job for the local authorities, not our government.

Here in the states we have 12 to 30 million illegals and we feel pretty much the same, regardless of the many reasons they find themselves here, that's not a problem for us to fix... they need to demand change from their own governments, not ours... otherwise thnigs will only get worse down there...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

... they need to demand change from their own governments, not ours... otherwise thnigs will only get worse down there...

I keep seeing this reapeated alot and I think it is a bit of a misconception that things in Mexico are that bad. I'm sure they are bad in many areas but there are areas in the states where things aren't all that pretty either.

The thing is that these people go north not because things are so bad down south but because things up north are better.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

There you have it

The thing is that these people go north not because things are so bad down south but because things up north are better.

So why isn't it better there?
they too could have better wages
safer towns and health care...
they could have everything we have and more...

but rather than invest their time money and commitments in their own nation they come here???? what does that accomplish? how is their coming here effect social change in Mexico, why is it our responsibility to care for another nations people?

It is bad... According to a report released in April by the Mexican government, Chihuahua state is Mexico's hardest-hit state by drug violence, with 6,757 people killed since the start of the drug war at the end of 2006. Hell if I lived there even I would want out...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

There you have it

So why isn't it better there?
they too could have better wages
safer towns and health care...
they could have everything we have and more...

but rather than invest their time money and commitments in their own nation they come here???? what does that accomplish? how is their coming here effect social change in Mexico, why is it our responsibility to care for another nations people?

It is bad... According to a report released in April by the Mexican government, Chihuahua state is Mexico's hardest-hit state by drug violence, with 6,757 people killed since the start of the drug war at the end of 2006. Hell if I lived there even I would want out...

I'm afraid I have not made my point clear enough.

Wages are good enough to live decently.

Towns are safe enough to walk through after dark but there are always those spots you know you should avoid. I grew up in Chicago and the same was true there at least back in the 90's.

Health care could be better but then again it is there and private health insurance does exist.

Most Mexicans and other Latinos as well, stay in their country and work at building a better country for their children. Work at strengthening democracy, education, health and security.

Then there are those who want to live the american dream. They are not satisfied with what their country has to offer them not because what their country offers isn't enough but because it isn't enough for them.

As a note to the drug related deaths I would like to say that the town were I live has a bit of this activity but they usually just deal with each other. We have one of the highest death rates due to firearms but I have no fear in walking down the street at any time of the day or night. I'm not involved in any of it so I know I am free of any of it's violence barring any stray lead.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by daskakik]

new topics

top topics

join