It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Only A NUCLEAR Bomb Will Stop The Oil - Says Economic Analyst!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
The Story

I would tend to disagree with this individual. The last I heard, most of these deposits contain about 40% natural gas...imagine the implications if they Nuke it.

The fact remains that there is a 5 foot hole, 5000ft down on the sea bed in the Gulf of Mexico that its spewing out over 250,000 Gallons of crude per day...we need to find a viable solution immediately!
Mark this day on your calendars folks, this event will no doubt be written in the history books as the largest ecological disaster in human history

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
they should have a way of sucking it all up.....it would only make sense

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
What an idiot! I really hope that never happen!

But go ahead! bomb the frikking Gulf with nuclear bombs, take a couple to be on the safe side.

Radiation is good!

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Possible Fix

I do not see any good possibilities from humans further fracturing the rock particularly at higher levels. That is the cap rock that is holding the deposit together. I do see a possible use of explosives for favorable outcome. If a properly sized charge were applied in a shaped fashion around the drill pipe at some distance from it say 5 feet or so it is entirely possible that an explosive charge could pinch the pipe off similar to a hydraulic clamp. The resulting situation would vastly reduce the spill. Once you clamped off the pipe much more substantially say down to 1 foot or less opening the resulting pipe could be charge cut above the location and a tapered pipe fitted to it to collect any leaking oil. The end result would be to contain the spill and dramatically control any leaks because drill mud could then be entered into the pipe fitted to the exterior. In the end, the pipe could be controlled that way. The size of a charge to do this would be a few pounds not megatons.

A nuclear detonation carries the real risk of giving us the full doomsday scenario on this well. I just don't like doing that. There is no coming back from the brink when you do that one. If it works, which I see as unlikely, great. If it doesn't work, there is now a maybe a hole 1/4 mile across leaking oil. That looks worse than any possible outcomes otherwise.

Source Article

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jumpingbeanz

That is actually the temporary plan. They're going to lower 3, 7 ton domes over the rupture to contain the oil, then basically vacuum it up into a tanker floating over head. The issue at hand is that this technology has never been tested in these depths before so there is debate as to whether or not it will be successful.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Glow in the dark shrimp anyone? For like the next million years? Not a good plan by any stretch of the imagination...

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by discl0sur3

oh so they are trying then, even a little help will help hopefully

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

I agree with you
On one side we got the best petroleum engineers on the planet working 24/7 and behind them is an entire industry with a hundred years experience dealing with disasters of all types, including ones like this...

Then we got an Economic Analyst who says NUKE IT...

I'll think I'll go with the people who do this for a living

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
All this tells me is that the best and the brightest are really a lot dumber than we are led to believe.

The most intelligent and wealthy groups and think tanks in the world still haven't come up with a solution to sealing a 5 foot hole 5,000 feet down?

If the high pressure oil spray is shooting in a specific direction (let's say, ideally, up), can't they come in with a sub and seal it somehow? Theoretically they would even have visibility (with artificial lighting, since the oil is being projected with high pressure).

Their solution now is a nuclear bomb in the gulf of mexico? Wtf?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

oh so they are trying then, even a little help will help hopefully

I remain optimistic

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by sremmos
All this tells me is that the best and the brightest are really a lot dumber than we are led to believe.

The most intelligent and wealthy groups and think tanks in the world still haven't come up with a solution to sealing a 5 foot hole 5,000 feet down?

If the high pressure oil spray is shooting in a specific direction (let's say, ideally, up), can't they come in with a sub and seal it somehow? Theoretically they would even have visibility (with artificial lighting, since the oil is being projected with high pressure).

Their solution now is a nuclear bomb in the gulf of mexico? Wtf?

I agree, but the problem with the sub solution is that Deep Horizon (The rig) actually sank and landed on top of the well head from the reports that I've read. This thing is the size of a large apartment complex so you can imagine the mess that they'll have to sift through in order to get at the rupture?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by sremmos

no ones going to bomb anything...
I have another thread up from NOAA they keep daily tabs on the progress of where they are in containing this mess
go read this dispatch they talk about what their trying
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by sremmos

If this is so, then perhaps we can assume that either this was actually planned or there is no real danger. It must be one of the three conclusions.

Surely in this type of endeavor, all possibilities must have been considered at some time in all these years of drilling. Surely as a "what if" this scenerio has been discussed before. And surely, before drilling that deep, someone had to be in charge of troubleshooting the worst case scenerios.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
A couple of questions..

Who is the economic analyst ?

Why would he be an expert on how to stop the oil leak in the Gulf?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   

What with? A 15 ft Oreck vac at 5000 ft below; that sounds plausable. LOL.
No all kidding aside why is this not THE topic in the news? Why is it being slightly under reported? This is a disaster of epic perportions and the entire world's ecological system is in grave danger. God help us folks, God help us...

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

the problem is when the rig collapse it took the riser pipe out too, one mile of bent and twisted pipe laying on the bottom of the sea floor and its not one but three leaks...

they are still hoping to get an ROV in close enough to turn the main shut off valve...

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Melissa101

What with? A 15 ft Oreck vac at 5000 ft below; that sounds plausable. LOL.

My joke was way better. I win.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a nuke???
r u nuts ???

do u realize what kind of Tsunami
would hit the southern coastline ???

Not to mention South America !!!

Do u realize a nuke exploding into those gas pockets
could run inward to the earth's core and destabilize
the entire planet???

The earth could shift or even crack.