It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran offers help in fighting Gulf of Mexico oil leak

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Iran offers help in fighting Gulf of Mexico oil leak

in.reuters.com

TEHRAN (Reuters) - An Iranian state company offered on Monday to help in preventing a vast oil slick that is moving towards the coast of the United States, the Islamic Republic's old foe, from causing an "ecological disaster".

Haidar Bahmani, managing director of the National Iranian Drilling Company, said his firm was ready to provide assistance in fighting the spill in the Gulf of Mexico, the Oil Ministry's website SHANA reported.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
presstv.ir

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
The Scale of the Deepwater Disaster
Mother Of All Gushers Could Kill Earth's Oceans
Who is REALLY Behind the Oil Spill Disaster?
BP (British Petroleum) Oil Spill In Gulf Now Up To 200,000 Gallons A Day

+20 more 
posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
It's too bad that the US will most likely turn the offer from Iran down. We need all the help that we can get, regardless of political implications. If Iran can offer valuable help, which they can, then we should not let any political agenda get in the way of that much needed help. Who cares if Iran may or may not be using this as a "PR" oppurtunity, a very fragile ecosystem is in danger. We should force our government to put aside any agenda they may have and accept all of the help available.
--airspoon

in.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
They just said it's going to take 3 months to shut this thing down. And that's the best case scenario. This is absolutely ridiculous! 3 months? WTF?
This could very well destroy all sea life in the gulf. It's going to wreak havoc on our economy.

+38 more 
posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I would love to see Iran and the USA come together as friends.

That would almost be worth all the devastation it took to get us there...

But then again, we should have been friends all along.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Star for typing the same thing I was about to type. It's nice that we can all at least come together in someway when a tragedy befalls us [by us I mean the world], but it's sad that it only comes about when something tragic happens.

+1 more 
posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Iran is playing World Politics like a pro!
to Iran for joining the big leagues all of a sudden! I'm not a fan of Iran, but I am extremely impressed with their recent chess moves.

Elected to UN Council on Women? Check!
Applied for Visa to speak at another University? Check!
Offer of Humanitarian Assistance and Ecological Assistance to an Enemy? Check!!

Somebody please resurrect Reagan, or Kennedy, or even Clinton! We have a Little Leaguer in office playing against pros! This is unfair! There should be some type of handicap system or something! At the end of 4 years, Obama's longest leadership position will be 4 years! Talk about on the job training! We are screwed!!

If Iran keeps playing this way, and Israel doesn't get the support its used to, and the EU keeps drowning in debt, and China and Japan keep manipulating our purse strings, and BRIC keeps negotiating on the side, pretty soon, the USA will be the ones with UN Sanctions/Peacekeepers and foreign aid dependence!!

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Will be interesting to see what happens, and, as it's EVERYONE'S WORLD I don't see what would give the USA the right to turn anyone's help down.

peace

[edit on 3-5-2010 by silo13]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
This is all a moot point and nothing more than political grandstanding by iran.

For proof, everyone list out all the things iran could actually do to help.

That's what I thought, zilch.

With the iranian republican guards in venezuela helping to prop up chavez, many are wondering if they didn't cause this disaster.

[edit on 5/3/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
One has to wonder, after the release of the Taliban video threatening any country that helps the US in any way, how Iran would feel about being targetted for attacks by fellow Muslims.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

Iran has already been the target of terrorist attacks from other muslims. I forget the name of the Islamic terrorist organization that targets inside Iran, but Iran has been dealing with them for a long time now. Of course this is in addition to the terrorist attacks committed by Israel.
--airspoon

Edited to add at least one of the Islamic terrorist groups to be active in Iran is the Pakistani based "Jundallah", though there are many more.
It is only Western MSM propaganda that suggests Iran is in bed with terrorist groups.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by airspoon]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Given that Iran is a major oil producer they clearly do have expertise in drilling and containment technologies.

But as nice (and smart) as it would be for the US to take them up on their offer (assuming they have some specific technology/expertise to share) the move would be attacked as some form of kow-towing. You can just read the ATS posts, "Obama surrenders to Iran', 'Obama shows weakness to America's #1 enemy', 'Obama this, Obama that...' Nope, the political forces at work in this country would never allow it to happen. They'd rather have all life as we know it wiped from the Gulf before they would allow Iran to do jack.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

True, but that is a lot different than the leader of the Taliban threatening it, the one Washington claimed was killed in January. He made this video the 4th of April, 2010.

I think attacks from the Taliban would be different than attacks from within Iran by small groups. I dunno, I think it would be an interesting turn of events.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
Given that Iran is a major oil producer they clearly do have expertise in drilling and containment technologies.

They are a major producer because U.S. and other foreign (to iran) companies drilled their wells and built most of their petroleum infrastructure. On their own, they haven't even built enough refinery capacity to produce all the gasoline iran needs.

That's why iran's "offer" of help is quite dubious.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

You have some great points, but I don't think Obama would care what the people thought, he seems to have a track record for that sort of thing.

And yeah, you pegged the ATS headlines, for sure!

+8 more 
posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Tehran is a modern city. Not a bunch of tents in the desert.
The NIDC operate 63 rigs with over 6000 skilled workers. I am sure they have something to offer.
For Iran to even offer to help BP is a huge step in the right direction for humanity.

en.wikipedia.org...

In May 1901, William Knox D'Arcy was granted a concession by the Shah of Iran to search for oil which he discovered in May 1908.[6] This was the first commercially significant find in the Middle East. On 14 April 1909, the Anglo-Persian Oil Company (APOC) was incorporated to exploit this.[6] In 1923, the company secretly gave £5,000 to future Prime Minister Winston Churchill to lobby the British government to allow them to monopolise Persian oil resources.[7] In 1935, it became the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company (AIOC).[6]
After World War II, AIOC and the Iranian government initially resisted nationalist pressure to revise AIOC's concession terms still further in Iran's favour. But in March 1951, the pro-western Prime Minister Ali Razmara was assassinated.[8] The Majlis of Iran (parliament) elected a nationalist, Mohammed Mossadeq, as prime minister. In April, the Majlis nationalised the oil industry by unanimous vote.[9] The National Iranian Oil Company was formed as a result, displacing the AIOC.[10] The AIOC withdrew its management from Iran, and organised an effective boycott of Iranian oil. The British government - which owned the AIOC - contested the nationalisation at the International Court of Justice at The Hague, but its complaint was dismissed.[11]
By spring of 1953, incoming U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower authorised the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) to organise a coup against the Mossadeq government with support from the British government.[12] On 19 August 1953, Mossadeq was forced from office by the CIA conspiracy, involving the Shah and the Iranian military, and known by its codename, Operation Ajax.[12]

Mossadeq was replaced by pro-Western general Fazlollah Zahedi,[13] and the Shah, who had left the country briefly to await the outcome of the coup, returned to Iran. He abolished the democratic Constitution and assumed autocratic powers.
After the coup, Mossadegh's National Iranian Oil Company became an international consortium, and AIOC resumed operations in Iran as a member of it.[10] The consortium agreed to share profits on a 50–50 basis with Iran, "but not to open its books to Iranian auditors or to allow Iranians onto its board of directors."[14] AIOC, as a part of the Anglo-American coup d'état deal, was not allowed to monopolise Iranian oil as before. It was limited to a 40% share in a new international consortium. For the rest, 40% went to the five major American companies and 20% went to Royal Dutch Shell and Compagnie Française des Pétroles, now Total S.A..[15]
The AIOC became the British Petroleum Company in 1954. BP continued to operate in Iran until the Islamic Revolution in 1979. The new regime of Ayatollah Khomeini confiscated all of BP's assets in Iran without compensation, finally closing BP's 70-year presence in Iran.

Of course most of the people in the US thinks we need to nuke Iran because the MSM tells us so.

The Oil leak will harm the whole east coast if it is not contained and stopped not to mention how bad it will affect global ocean life over time. It is time for men to loose their egos and get their hands dirty at fixing the planet. Our petty differences are trumped by our similarities and our home planet.

[edit on 5/3/2010 by staple]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by staple
reply to post by centurion1211

Tehran is a modern city. Not a bunch of tents in the desert.
The NIDC operate 63 rigs with over 6000 skilled workers. I am sure they have something to offer.
For Iran to even offer to help BP is a huge step in the right direction for humanity.

Never said they were "a bunch of tents in the desert" - even if they sometimes (often?) act like that's all they are.

Ooooh, 63 whole oil rigs. Quite impressive - not.

Please also post some factoids showing exactly how many of those 6000 workers have any expertise whatsoever with under water drilling at depths of almost a mile.

Without any proof that iran really has something to offer in the way of help, my charge of political grandstanding stands.

[edit on 5/3/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
If they want to help then they need to get their arses over here. At this point no matter why they are doing it, we need all the man power we can get. I don't care if it comes from Iran!

Personally Environmental Disaster > Political Rhetoric. IMHO

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
On their own, they haven't even built enough refinery capacity to produce all the gasoline iran needs.

That's because of sanctions

Also...

TEHRAN (Commodity Online) : World’s fifth largest oil exporter, Iran on Sunday said it started drilling the first exploratory oil well in its territorial waters of the Caspian Sea.

According to Iran's North Drilling Company, the drilling began last week and the drilling of the first oil well is taking place at the dept of 1,550 metres in Iran's territorial waters of the Caspian Sea.
www.commodityonline.com...

Hedayatollah Khademi, the head of Iran's North Drilling Co has unveiled plans to put 15 drilling projects in the country's oil and gas fields on international tender, in a bid to choose qualified investors and contractors, Fars News Agency has reported. The company will soon after the approximately $100m tender, choose the qualified investors and contractors for the drilling projects in the oil and gas fields of the country, Khademi said.
www.ameinfo.com...

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Iran and BP are not alien to each other. BP was founded as the "Anglo-Persian Oil Company". The only people who hate the Persians are the Zionsts. The Khazars have nuclear weapons to scare their organ-ripped victims into submission, as if genocide isn't enough. They don't want an even battle field and with Iran that's exactly what they will get. Wake up America, Zionists are the problem, not Obama. His policies are not his own. See through the puppet.

Even though Iran was screwed by the US and UK, they are still the bigger man. The Americans and British need to expel the Zionists. They are poisonous. I'm not anti-Semite, Khazars were never, and will never be Semites. They will never be Hebrews, and they will never have a birthright to Palestine.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by TSawyer]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I like the idea of pouring rocks on top of the hole. And sinking ships to add more junk/weight to the mountain we will build on top of it.

Iran has a lot of tankers, have Iran fill them up with rocks, bring them over. Then we can dump all the rocks , then sink all the ships.

This is what we need and Iran has plenty of rocks and ships to contribute.

This is a good start imo. If Iran is serious about helping, they won't mind such a minor sacrifice.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join