It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran offers help in fighting Gulf of Mexico oil leak

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
it would be a huge wake up call/slap in the face to people who want to go to war with Iran and Co. if the US pulled a move like this, interesting in a positive way kind of PR.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
This is all a moot point and nothing more than political grandstanding by iran.

For proof, everyone list out all the things iran could actually do to help.

That's what I thought, zilch.

With the iranian republican guards in venezuela helping to prop up chavez, many are wondering if they didn't cause this disaster.

[edit on 5/3/2010 by centurion1211]

Show me who's wondering if Iran isn't behind this. Then show me a source that wasn't bias in that literature. Exactly.

And it's an Iranian drilling company, which can do about as much to help as any drilling company foreign or domestic. Your post is offensive.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Its not that Iran should not help, its that they cannot. Their sum total of military power is a few subs an patrol boats. Sorry, but they'd just be annoying.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by BladeDraven

This is all a moot point and nothing more than political grandstanding by iran.

For proof, everyone list out all the things iran could actually do to help.

That's what I thought, zilch.

With the iranian republican guards in venezuela helping to prop up chavez, many are wondering if they didn't cause this disaster.

[edit on 5/3/2010 by centurion1211]

Show me who's wondering if Iran isn't behind this. Then show me a source that wasn't bias in that literature. Exactly.

And it's an Iranian drilling company, which can do about as much to help as any drilling company foreign or domestic. Your post is offensive.

I totally agree with you, Blade. It is offensive and is nothing more than political slander towards Iran. The are far too many accusations of "Iran this" or "Iran that" without any proof whatsoever. The current administration has been touting the environmental crisis from the beginning, including groundbreaking legislation(i.e. cap & trade w/carbon credits.) Now we will see if they really are concerned with the health of our Earth, or if it is just politics as usual.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by Quantum Logic]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

Are you serious? The are asking private and commercial fishing vessels for help, you think that a Navy from an idustrialized country could not offer valuable help? In fact, they still don't have the spill contained, nor cleaned so I think that we should use all of the help that we can get. Then, I'm sure that Iran has planty of equipment to either clean or contain an oil spill and maybe with their help, we can be that much more effective.
--airspoon

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantum Logic

Last election. proof enough. Learn their government system. More proof.

2nd line

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Russia would do a better job then they could. Why? Because Russia is a powerful nation. Iran is hardly industrialized. They have modern cities, but just leave that and its not anymore.

No nation that has priests decide who legally can run or not in office is trustworthy in the 21st century until they themselves prove it in their own lands first.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
How about simply the U.S. taking the following position:
"We believe the ecology is important to all the worlds inhabitants and are open for constructive input and dialogue with all nations. Therefor we are 'allowing' Iran to send several of their leading oil spill experts and support personal to work with some of our experts"

This would be diplomatic coup for both the US and Iran and would help alleviate years of mutual distrust between the nations.
It certainly wouldn't be political suicide for Obama to show that he made peace with Iran, helped reign in the threat of radical Islam, and helped protect the U.S. environment and the livelihood of its fishermen.
Imagine the irony of British Petroleum of being the root cause of a new cooperative era between the US and Iran.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   

While I do not wholly agree with how Iran rules their country, at some point in incidences like these, politics needs to be put aside and we must work together toward a common goal. It is apparent many do not wish that to ever happen. How sad.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Counttrarian

Star for you friend. I could not have stated it any better.

At least someone is trying.....

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantum Logic

Oh I am all for political cooperation and all that pretty stuff. But tell me. Why a nation half a world a way? Why not lend a hand to Venezuela to help? Why not localize it? There is absolutely no reason to trust Iran on this and there's a good chance they'd back off if we said yes, because this look sot me like just a sad attempt to smear us. If it was Venezuela doing the same, I would support it. because Venezuela is on the spot and able to help, and semi-modernized. Iran, however, is not. It is what is known to some as the deflated regional power. IE, it could easily be a world superpower, but has no resources to do that.

The truth is Iran is desperate to keep looking strong, but can't hold up against the sanctions and problems anymore.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
wow is it really gonna take three months or more to fix this is crazy where destroying this place well not proud to human anymore

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Counttrarian

Replace Iran with Venezuela, then yes. I agree.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Will be interesting to see what happens, and, as it's EVERYONE'S WORLD I don't see what would give the USA the right to turn anyone's help down.

Agree, Silo. I've said it before. I think this spill has the potential to be a global, or at least a North and South American problem. Crude kills, and not just the life that lives on/near the surface of the sea. It mixes to a degree, and rough water/wind only makes it split and separate, and the potential for islands of oil to migrate are huge.

Consider this: We appear focused on the Gulf States, and rightfully so, as it is coming ashore there, however it's not that the winds are pushing the oil northward -- just the opposite -- the predominant winds are moving East and Southward at this moment. What is happening, is that oil spreads out eventually to a thin layer upon water. A gallon of oil has the potential to spread to a square 1/2 mile. Now, we have gone from 5,000 to 200,000 gallons of oil per DAY.......... and the oil continues to spread.

If Iran or ANY country from around the world is willing to send its skimmers, trained personnel, air-deployed dispersants, whatever, I don't see that there is any option but to gratefully accept the help. The U.S. has and presumably will continue to assist with other global catastrophes, and make no mistake about it, this is a real world-class catastrophe.

We can identify those who are to blame later -- the manufacturer of the failed safety devices, the installers, BP, or the people BP say were actually in charge, Obama, Bush, the Tooth Fairy. I don't care about that right now. Contain it! Skim it! Tow it and flash it! Disperse what we can and scrub the crap outa any surviving sea life in shallow waters.

The ecosystem in much of the Gulf is already changed. We HAVE to catch up, and get this @#$@#er under control and begin the arduous process of clean-up. Central America is at risk. Cuba, island nations, South America. How far will we let it spread?

Reminds me of the web-bots' global sea contamination meme. Right on schedule.

The west doesn't have to love Iran, but I think they'd be fools to refuse help.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   

So, you basically say no to Iran because of where they happen to be located? That is one of the most absurd things written yet. So what if they are a little further away, if they have the resources to help, then we should by all means allow them to help, especially since we are grasping for help from private fishing vessels. I would also like to rebut your statement that Venezuela is more "modern" than Iran. It is Iran, who is exporting a lot of technology to Venezuela. Again, who cares about location of those willing to help, when we have such an emergency on our hands?
--airspoon

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
i dont get it, help is being offered because oil is spilled. yes i understand that this is a huuge deal in terms of our environment. this could be extremely devastating, but if we can agree to help the environment, why can't we agree on war? we'll fix this then we'll go back to killing each other. let's fix this problem, let's accept Iran's help, why not? and then together help fix the biggest problem of all, PEOPLE. Love Thy Neighbor, but I don't see any love in this world anymore, it's a shame.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Nope. pretty much all you stated can be refuted quite simply by one simple fact. Theocracies do no help people. They control people.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

And as for accepting iran's manpower "help", you actually think it would be a great idea to have hundreds or thousands of iran's revolutionary guards types crawling all over our sea coasts?

Earth to airspoon: iran is not the answer to this problem

Just

I think if you were to make the folks, who's lives may be ruined by this disaster, aware of the fact that willing hands were turned aside, you would get a much different response. The US has her pride but given the scope here she might be best to accept foreign aid, even from Iran. Sure it reeks of political grandstanding but if I recall correctly when the Bam earthquake hit Iran back in 2003, US aid graciously and acceptingly flowed in.

Failing that I would simply laugh in the US' face for being so ignorant and say deal with it. I usually enjoy your posts very much, but not sure where your going with this one.

brill

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

the total capacity of Iranian aid can be found on one aircraft carrier. it's just a waste for a doubtful helper.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   

First of all, as a libertarian, I do not agree with their form of government but at the same time, who are we to suggest what type of government they should live under? Apparently, most people there are happy with their form of government. That is at least barring all of the propaganda that was spread through the Western MSM lately. Remember, those same media outlets were also feeding us all of the BS about Iraq, before that war also. You really shouldn't believe all of the propaganda that is forced down our throats. Anyway, I'm sure their theocracy is much better than the brutal Shah that America propped up to abuse the entire population and rape their resources. The point here, is that it shouldn't matter which type of politics anyone chooses to adhere to, if we are in a crisis - and we are - then we should take all the help that is offered, especially when said help, is very badly needed. So, you don't agree with how these people choose to live their lives, so somehow you think that they are not good enough to help us when we badly need all the help that we can get?

--airspoon

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join