It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Obama Americas greatest black person ever?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Black people have suffered a lot in this country. Slavery, and even after slavery a hundred years of Jim Crow. Obama now appears like a jeannie out of the bottle to redeem black people. (God knows who else)

It doesn't matter anymore that less than one out of ten blacks are from a traditional father/mother family or that more than 50% of black babies are aborted.

My relatives say that they used to live next to the Obama family in Macon, Georgia, long ago. This makes no sense to me since I am from the American southwest and am 1/16 white.

Anyway, take care and congrats for the posting blitz recently. Up and up.-----------------------PC

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by chorizo4

Is Obama Americas greatest black person ever?

Please, open a history book...

Suggested starting place.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

obama is half white and half black and therefore can not be America's

greatest black person ever because he is not totally black. ^Y^

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
No.

Ving Rhames is the greatest black person in America, well either him or Samuel L Jackson. Maybe Wesley Snipes.

Obama would probably be the worst if you ask me.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Uh huh - what does that even mean?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
In light of your previous posts on this site and your absolutely disgust for Obama, perhaps (since you I suppose forgot it in your OP) can tell us if you think that Obama is the greatest black person ever?

And as far as my response. No, but love him or hate him, the fact that he is a black person and president does provide an inspiration to a lot of people that never thought they'd see such a thing occur.

reply to post by amari

I've never understood this. He's not "all black." This is the same thing that happened to Tiger Woods. These people are not milk, you cannot bring them from Whole to 2% to 1% to Skim.

[edit on 5/2/10 by niteboy82]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I'm going with Muddy Waters.......no one could sing the blues like him. After his tours of Europe and the following popularity here in the states, he was still a warm human being. seriously, Muddy has done far more for me, through the enjoyment I've recieved from his music, than Obama ever will. Now to the more obvious question.....why ask such a question? I have yet to hear someone who the most influential white man ever was..........posts like this are a waste of time.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I don't think President Obama is even the United States' greatest black figure, let alone the worlds, however, the day is yet young. We'll see.

Part of the difficulty with statements like this is establishing a yardstick for greatness. Many of history's notable blacks were civil rights figures, however there are mathematicians, philosophers, scientists that perhaps don't garner the same attention.

I would tend toward calling the "greatest" as in being the most influential in a positive manner. I think of Martin Luther King, Jr., Julian Bond, Harriet Tubman, George Washington Carver, to name a very few. These people changed history for the better, as well as influenced others to reach higher, dream beyond their perceived horizons.

I've voted in a lot of presidential elections in the U.S. I can't recall any Presidents that were highly regarded during their term(s). The real glory comes as they are written into history. Perhaps it will be so for President Obama. God, I hope so. I hope history books 30 years from now depict him as a good president.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
No way. The obvious is "i have a dream" and that dream has become obama.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Nah....Jimi Hendrix is.

Amazing!

But Obama? Aw Hell NAW! Never.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Not only is he not the greatest black American ever, I think he has done more to hinder black progress, increase a racial divide and is possibly the worst person to hold the title of 'First Black American President.'

To address the half-white issue, there are some who will say that is the only reason he was able to get as far as he did. Not that it is very relevant, it would have been better if that position could not have been taken if he were 'all black.'

His associations with racially charged groups place him in a separatist category than one of that of unified races.

His political positions, associates and ideology are down right appalling to many who value the ideas and principles upon which the nation was founded; namely individual responsibility, states rights, and limited government intervention in the lives of the citizenry.

These things, for some, have indirectly linked these philosophies with the black community, only adding to racial tensions.

Above all, I think that if it were observed through the eyes of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, Obama's election would be a great disappointment. The man was not elected by the content of his character.

I never expected a black man to get elected at this point in our history for various reasons. mainly, society has not moved far enough past racial divisiveness. I looked forward to the day when a black man would be elected president, because I thought it would mean we have truly left racism and superficiality behind, and the individual would have to believe and adhere so purely to the ideas of America's founders that the nation would be brought together in true unity. Instead, there was a perfect storm of Bush-haters, welfare recipients, a watered down Republican candidate, an out migration to many third party candidates, and reverse racist 'just-because-he's-black' voters to get the man in office.

I think if things don't just utterly fall apart, it will be a long time before a black man ever has a chance of becoming president again.

edit to modify the 'perfect storm'

[edit on 2-5-2010 by Wolf321]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
The answer to the question is a resounding no. I was going to say more but I might go too far.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by Fromabove]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   

No. There are many americans who happened to be black who we can all look up to and acknowledge. Martin Luther King, one of the fathers of the United states in my personal opinion, lead the way to re-establishing the constitutional rights for all americans regardless of colour. Dr. Percy Lavon Julian, a well respected medical researcher, Rosa Parks. There were patriotic americans who fought in all the major wars this nation faced, there are unknown african americans working for this nation along with other americans right now. We have had great leaders and thinkers of this nation and they have crossed every colour and race.

President Obama for now is just the president of the United states. That does not automatically grant him eternal greatness, neither does it for many other presidents in past and future to come. While I agree with his policies and his performance thus far, I would not say it is to the comparison that he has done 'great things' for this nation. We can look to the president as just another example that Americans can achieve many things regardless of colour, ethnicity. Beyond that there are both negative and positive things about Obama, none to the extent of greatness. Just as Clinton, Just as Reagan, just as Ford.

So I can say make alittle more effort over researching inspiractional americans.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by Southern Guardian]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I wonder since we always seem to have opposite thread posts appear, how long until someone posts the "Who was the greatest white man" thread. I just know it's coming. Just wondering though MLK as one of our nations fathers...........uh no?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
My vote would have to be for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., not only for his work in the civil rights movement, but also his personal philosophy and strict adherence to his values. Dr. King was a genuinely good human being and that in my opinion was his greatest achievement. Obama is a politician, you know he didn't make it as far as he has without stepping on a few toes, where as Dr. King would have walked a mile out of the way just to avoid doing so.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
Just wondering though MLK as one of our nations fathers...........uh no?

Why not? I did not say he was one of the founder fathers if that is what you were confused about. But yes I do believe he is one of the fathers of this nation as he lead the civil rights movement to establish rights for all americans regardless of colour. If you can explain to me where you disagree with Dr King that'd be great.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
dave chappelle.
"I'm rick james b*tch."
greatest quote from the greatest black man ever.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

No, I got the meaning.....maybe he was the blacks father, but certainly not the countries. I am sure many many Americans at that time didn't see him in that light. He is an important figure in Americas history to many people, but a father figure, not so much. Same thing with Rosa Parks......funny, it seems so many people only choose people from the civil rights era. I guess that was the only point in history that matters to many.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Easiest way to answer the question is to first leave race out of it.

Is Obama even moderately the greatest person in America? Obviously the answer is no. Even if you limit the question to living people in America, he might make a top 500 list or maybe a top 100 if limited to famous people.

That black would need to be a qualifier for separation is degrading and undermines what little the man has achieved. And certainly what others have achieved in their still living lifetimes.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join