It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Obama Americas greatest black person ever?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I would say that it is up between Crispin Atkins, the first african American killed in the opening salvos of the Revolutionary war and Martin Luther King Jr, who changed the nature of the country through non violent actions, even at the cost of his life.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by chorizo4

I certainly don't think that Obama is America's greatest black person. Also, I find some flaws in your reasoning.

I don't know about you but I have yet to meet one black person who has suffered because of slavery. In fact, plenty of races have been enslaved through-out history so I don't see how in the world that black people have had a more tough history than any other race. Me, being a white male, has just as much claim to suffrage from slavery as anyone else, black people included. In fact, black people have a leg up through all of this anti-white or pro-black legislation and policies such as Affirmative Action. I'm not so certain that Obama may not have gotten a leg up through racist policies such as Affirmative Action or just the current socio-economic climate that seems to favor anyone but whites.

I certainly don't think that Obama was elected because he is such a great person. On the contrary, I think that Obama is the President because Bush was so horrible. Obama is America's knee-jerk reaction to the raping of America by the Bush Administration.

I also think that there are some other ingredients that led to him winning the election with some being do solely to his race. First of all, how many people voted for him just because of his race? Before the election, the MSM was constantly talking about the fear that some people would not vote for him just because he is black. They hardly ever mentioned how many people actually would vote for him just because he is black. I'm sure there were plenty of times that the Media didn't want to be labeled as racist so he could have gotten more positive press with little, if any negative press.

The point that I'm trying to make is that I don't think that Obama is extraordinary, such as MLK, I just think that he happened to be at the right place, at the right time with the right skin color. Haven't you heard lately, white people are supposedly evil and the white man has been at fault for all of the worlds' problems for the last few hundred years? This election was won strictly for the color of Obama's skin and Obama is the result of that anti-establishment fervor that has manifested as anti-white fervor that has taken hold in America lately.

Obama is certainly not special, at least not to me. I mean what good has he really done, before being elected President? What about the nameless black person working in the homeless shelter, children's cancer ward or frontlines, dying for a cause greater than himself? Does this mean that Obama is a bad person? Absolutely not, although I haven't seen him use his influence or power for anything good as of yet. In fact, I only have seen him lie and screw my fellow countrymen over. But, I'll admit that I don't have the same picture as him so I clearly can't call it for sure but I certainly don't see him as any more special than anyone else. Plain and simple, he got lucky and he just happened to be "other than white".

I surely don't mean for this post to sound racist as that is not my intent. I'm only calling it how I see it and unfortunately, do to the indoctrination that we all receive (no matter your race), people may take this post as racist and all I can say is that I wish you would open your mind to see past that. I don't dislike Obama because he is black though I know many of people who love Obama simply because he is black and will even admit to it because somehow (due to our indoctrination) that isn't seen as racist. Personally, I have yet to form an opinion on Obama but so far, I don't think it will be a favorable one because he has repeatedly lied and failed to change anything. So far, he has been a fraud. Obama is certainly not better than the black guy actually making a difference for the better in this world. Obama is just a guy who lied and happened to get elected do to factors beyond his control.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Obama the greatest black person ever?
You're joking right?
He ain't black-he's biracial, and he ain't even from slave descent, regardless of his questionable citizenship status. His father was a Kenyan, FACT.

Martin Luther King, Jr. Now HE was probably the most influential Black American of the 20th century and a great God-fearing, moral Man. Sometimes I see t-shirts of him and Obama shown together and it makes me sick to my stomach. King would not approve in the slightest of Mr. Obama, as I'm sure he's rolling in his grave just knowing they're on the same t-shirt.

As for currently alive great Black American Patriots--My vote goes to Alan Keyes, Eric Rush, Mychal Massie, Clarence Thomas. I could go on.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by The Patriot]

[edit on 2-5-2010 by The Patriot]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Probably not! Martin Luther King would get my vote, then Prince, Dave Chappelle, Rick James, Ali, Uncle Phil from "Fresh Prince" then it would be a toss up between that 60s civil rights protester that gets hit with a jet of water in that famous footage of the riots (I don't know his name but he had an affro haircut) or the guys from "Roots" then! I'd maybe think of Obama but I thought that guy was Kenyan though?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I'm going with the Godfather of Soul, James Brown as the greatest black person ever. He personally took lots of drugs off the streets of North Augusta and smoked them. He did this..................for the children, so they would not use them.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
300 uses for peanuts and 118 uses for sweet potatoes. George Washington Carver would be my guess all day.

en.wikipedia.org...

Read on him. He was one of those "one in a million" types.

Edit to add, Politicians can't be the greatest anything ever.

[edit on 2-5-2010 by ventian]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Martin Luther King Jr. is head & shoulders above him.

Probably many others who struggle both anonymously & to some acclaim.

Obama couldn't even keep his promise to hold telecoms accountable even until the election. He sure hasn't 'renegotiated NAFTA' either. [not holding my breath for that one either]

Obama is just one more snakey politician.

The one thing he has going for him is he tends to see everyone equally,
screwing people of all races, genders & ethnicities equally badly.

Is he better than the war criminal GWBush?
A little a very little,

At least Obama was legitimately elected by the American populace.

Of course when the only other likely choice was irrational McCain & psychobabble Palin, jeeze, what you gonna do?

I voted for Nader.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Peace to my hero Nat Turner

3rd line

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
obama is a person
The U.S. president is someone else

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
No.

Ving Rhames is the greatest black person in America, well either him or Samuel L Jackson. Maybe Wesley Snipes.

Obama would probably be the worst if you ask me.

You totally forgot Alfonso Ribeiro.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/8ab96369812074e3.gif[/atsimg]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
the greatest person in African-American history for me is Joseph Cinqué

Only if Obama would abolish the FED, CIA, NSA, CFR and Trilateral Commission he might get close.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
We all got it wrong! The greatest black man is here (language, viewer discretion is advised)

Plus the greatest movie quote ever.

Major Payne just eliminated the bad man with extreme prejudice....and if he's still in there, he ain't happy.

That is a well informed kid right there.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by ventian]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I vote for Doc Gooden! Hands down! No contest! Best ever!

_2

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
George Washington Carver. Martin Luther King, Jr.. Jackie Robinson. Jesse Owens. The untold hundreds, or thousands that worked to make civil rights a reality, rather than a dream.

Is Mr. Obama great? Depends upon how you judge greatness. The potential is there, just as it's in all of us, regardless of the color of our skin. Time will tell, as with all things...

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

Now THAT would be racist!

Just like if there was a white college fund or white history month!

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I don't think Obama is.

There are many other great African Americans that deserve that title more.

Of African American legends John Henry would be my favourite.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join