It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Weather Alerts -- now

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Ventessa

Geomagnetic storms have nothing to do with an EMP.

An EMP is a powerful burst of electromagnetic radiation. A geomagnetic storm is a disturbance of the Earth's magnetic field. An EMP would affect all electronic devices. A geomagnetic storm only affects power grids by creating electrical power surges within the transmission wires. Your car, laptop, and iPod would not be affected unless they were plugged in to a power outlet at the time.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Noobastronomer
Solar wind
speed: 629.3 km/sec
density: 2.7 protons/cm3

does this mean something to any1???cause the wind speed sure looks high to me

[edit on 2-5-2010 by Noobastronomer]

High speed, low density flow. Typical activity from a coronal hole. The speed can get much higher than that.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Oh noes !!

A geomagnetic storm !! The Earth will be destroyed by earthquakes and volcanoes cos everyone knows the Sun is the direct and only cause of these...

Everyone run !!

/toggle sarcasm off

Nothing to see here folks, move along...Not even as severe as the one we had last month...

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Solar wind
speed: 630.9 km/sec
density: 4.4 protons/cm3

^^ latest readings

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by discl0sur3

Originally posted by Ventessa
reply to post by ressiv

Is there a good way to shield an EMP?
Just curious....

Tinfoil Hat...hahaha. I'm only kidding. To the best of my knowledge there isn't much that an EMP won't get through....lead maybe??

Lead you say?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

What a coincidence? Revelations people.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Originally posted by ressiv
reply to post by deadred

fully agree.. we've been hit before with such solar storms.. cousing some electric powerplants faillure...
but the last 10 years we are so depending on computers and microprocessors that if they breaking up by an EMP effect through solar winds .. ...could be catasrofic...

[edit on 2-5-2010 by ressiv]

[edit on 2-5-2010 by ressiv]

I only asked because of this comment. I'm no expert, so what do I know? Still wouldn't hurt to know how to defend yourself against an EMP just in case, right?

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueOrb

The data was taken in South Africa, and their findings were that there WAS a correlation between increased suicide rates, and occurences of Geomagnetic storms, over a 13 year period from 1980 to 1992.
It's not surprising really, since magnetism affects the Pineal gland, which affects our mood. So someone who is depressed could be tipped "over the edge" by an increase on geomagnetic activity.

The pineal gland is part of the limbic system, which controls your growing and maturing. The Pineal gland also produces melatonin, converting it into serotonin. Melatonin has been found to modify gonadal functions, suggesting, that its secretion may have something to do with the timing
of the estrus and menstrual cycles. I fail to see where a magnetic storm would affect this gland. It has been proven that light does have some effect, but I would be interested in reading the study referencing magnetism.
Would you be so kind to post your source?
Thank you.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

I posted the source in my subsequent post. The link has a problem (which is beyond me), but if you Google "Geomagnetic storms suicide" the link to the reseacrh paper in question will pop up.

First page, bottom right hand corner, final paragraph:

"There are indications that the pineal gland, which regulates the circadian rhythm, and which is involved in the regulation and production of melatonin, is a magnetosensitive system......"

It goes on to give more details of the function of the pineal gland in humans, and research in animals. The whole paper is an interesting read.

I also have another paper by Elchin S Babayev entitled "Solar and Geomagnetic Activities and Related Effects on the Human Physiological and Cardio-Health State: Some results of Azerbaijani and Collaborative Studies".

That one is a bit less interesting, but in a similar fashion. links geomagnetic activity with and increase in heart attacks.

These two papers are both PDFs, and if you Google the relevant info from the titles they should pop up.

'

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
In a similar way, think about lycanthropy, werewolfs, lunatics, or whatever.

Their changes in behaviour are supposed to be regulated by the phases of the moon, which is exerting a magnetic effect on earth also.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueOrb

Thank you.
They are both an interesting read.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueOrb

During my two years practicing in an in-patient psychiatric facility, and my ten plus years practicing in over 30 different Emergency Rooms, the staff and I would occasionally joke about the full moon phase. It was usually a hit or miss relevance. But nothing certain ever turned up. Some days were just horribly fast paced and chaotic, other days were just terribly busy.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
The forecasted geomagnetic storm is now currently underway.

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Fellow members in the Great White North should be getting a nice show.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by CONTACT
This one looks unusual to me, just for your ref :

Space Weather Message Code: WARK05
Serial Number: 660
Issue Time: 2010 May 02 1038 UTC

WARNING: Geomagnetic K-index of 5 expected
Valid From: 2010 May 02 1040 UTC
Valid To: 2010 May 02 1600 UTC
Warning Condition: Onset
NOAA Scale: G1 - Minor

source :
www.swpc.noaa.gov...

www2.nict.go.jp...

Oh my god Im gonna die

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueOrb
Breaking News: Magnitude 5.8 Earthquake has hit South-Central Chile, with the tremor being felt in the Capital, Santiago.

Info coming through now from Reuters and the US Geological survey.

Coincidence? Probably not......

You can take ANY given day and find that there was a relatively strong earthquake somewhere in the world.

You would have to find a truly extraordinary seismic event for this to be more believable.

EDIT to add that: this thread would go better in the Fragile Earth section. IMO.

[edit on 5/3/2010 by haika]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Could someone please tell me what the object is thats circled at 1m20sec?
www.youtube.com...
at 1.30 bottom left?
What the hell is that?

[edit on 3-5-2010 by jazz10]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

Possible explanation could be an internal reflection.

stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov...

[edit on 3/5/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Sorry but to me this looks nothing alike?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

Well, since it's been there since 2008 (at least). I would say it has something to do with the camera and is not an object.

[edit on 5/3/2010 by Phage]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I wouldn't think so, if it was a camera issue dont you they would have noticed it by now? maybe fix the issue? but its not a camera issue.

Its an object, i can tell.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join