It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turning Man into God

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Transhumanist visionaries imagine a world in which man turns himself in to a god. I disagree with tjos on every possible level; I fear this is pandora's box and will lead to genetic defects that result in an "I Am Legend" scenario.

TURNING INTO GODS is a new feature length documentary exploring mankind's journey to 'play jazz with the universe'... it is a story of our ultimate potential, the reach of our intelligence, the scope of our scientific and engineering abilities and the transcendent quality of our heroic and noble calling.

"We are as gods," says Stewart Brand, "and we might as well get good at it."

The teaser Features soundbites from some TED Talks and a 'Tedify' tribute by Maria Popova.. as well as other miscellaneous clips.

Trailer

I fall more in line with thinking that transhumanism is the state of being that existed before the great flood and was the reason for the flood - to purify the genetic code once more. I fear we are once again following a path that will result in a world "As in the days of Noah".

[edit on 30-4-2010 by ararisq]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

Well according to the bible humans were living to the age of 800 on a regular basis back then, so why is that so bad?
If 'god' didn't intend for us to do this then why didn't 'he' make a monument or something with clear commands and reasons why he made those commands? If 'he' gave us the capacity to attempt to do these things and we obviously have a motivation to then it seems like he designed us to fail. 'God' in this sense sounds like a goldman sachs exec.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by time91
reply to post by ararisq

Well according to the bible humans were living to the age of 800 on a regular basis back then, so why is that so bad?

I don't think wanting to live longer is bad. I think messing around with the genetic code and crossing DNA from multiple creatures is going to lead us all down a road that we wished scientists had not take on our behalf.

If 'god' didn't intend for us to do this then why didn't 'he' make a monument or something with clear commands and reasons why he made those commands? If 'he' gave us the capacity to attempt to do these things and we obviously have a motivation to then it seems like he designed us to fail.

Do you mean like the 1st commandment of the 10 Commandments? "Do not have any other gods before me." The Book of Enoch states that fallen divine beings were teaching man and crossing animals to create other creatures which led to cannibalism and death. The story of Noah from Enoch depicts one where Noah is perfect in DNA and the rest of the people corrupted. The consequence is a world wide flood and forever changing the lifespan of humans.

IOW - Don't act like God.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
That was a cool post, the trailer seemed cool too. Who knows maybe in 300 or 400 years but it just seems too hard now to even try. To inherit the Universe through immortality is prolly just the beginning though.

Is it turn man into God as in one with God or turn them into Gods? Either way the creator will always have a part in writing us in his Universe. All I know is my heart is to sour to do any good as I am currently, I am damaged goods and I pass on such a oppitunity. I actually want good to happen to the Universe, my Imagination is out of control so I would only hurt the betterment of our great human socity. Unfortunitly. Then again though I heard it is not a race so maybe the human race won't turn into control hungry haters if the cards are played right. It had to do alot about love and I am not that good a feeling love, I am too concerned with what others think about me causeing fear limiting my ability to show my true of what could have been. Who knows maybe more stuff is after breathe is done. I just hope my memory is erased kinda or there is a track that is automatic that turns me into the man I would like to be, a loving one.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I think a lot of this man as God stuff is silly and these transhumanists are deluded.

Every time we manipulate mother nature we create poison and/or undue consequences. Look at GMOs, increase of cancer, rise in autism, lowered fertility rates, air water pollution, mental disease and the thousands of other examples of the horrible effects of man trying to be God. All these chemicals and vaccines that never existed before is not evidence of the greatness of man but to his detriment.

We know nothing, let me reiterate, WE KNOW NOTHING. Science is based on math which cannot be reconciled with the infinite. We have the ability to create on a smaller scale because we were endowed with that power. And rather than use that for the betterment of mankind it is used to make money. Intelligent designs inventions and thoughts are suppressed all in the name of money and power.

My question is what do these fools assume God to be if we can be as Gods? Im talking about the creator here not some cyborg or guy with a lightening bolt that sleeps with human women. We cant even do what Zeus did. Superman, nope cant do that either an hes just super nor even a God! Can you create a planet, star, multiverse? Hell Ill even settle for one man made chemical that works as good as a natural supplement.

I think these transhumanists, scientists etc. need to let the hot air out of there ever expanding heads and float back down to humble reality.

You may be part of God, but you will never be as God!

[edit on 30-4-2010 by ISHAMAGI]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
We were created in the Creators image. If He wanted us to be cyborgs, we would be cyborgs. It's not the same as "I think if the FDA says you are a drug, you are a drug". We were created to be as men, and if our lifespan is now limited to a maximum 120 years, it was for a very good reason. That's Natural man, as we were formed. Maybe science can exceed that through artificial means. It doesn't mean we should.

As for philosophy, of man becoming God, it is the essence of hell itself. Avoid any such doctrine, it is seductive and evil. We were created to serve God and to serve our fellow wo/man. There is no harmony besides, and self-serving interests will never benefit us. Nor will good interests linked with evil interests excuse us from supporting the evil, in any movement.
We need to purify our ideals, develop a meritocracy that upbuilds our neighbours, and put aside violence in the future.

Seek wisdom over a simple martyrdom, and we will make each others lives worthwhile.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by wonderinghows
That was a cool post, the trailer seemed cool too. Who knows maybe in 300 or 400 years but it just seems too hard now to even try. To inherit the Universe through immortality is prolly just the beginning though.

Is it turn man into God as in one with God or turn them into Gods? Either way the creator will always have a part in writing us in his Universe. All I know is my heart is to sour to do any good as I am currently, I am damaged goods and I pass on such a oppitunity. I actually want good to happen to the Universe, my Imagination is out of control so I would only hurt the betterment of our great human socity. Unfortunitly. Then again though I heard it is not a race so maybe the human race won't turn into control hungry haters if the cards are played right. It had to do alot about love and I am not that good a feeling love, I am too concerned with what others think about me causeing fear limiting my ability to show my true of what could have been. Who knows maybe more stuff is after breathe is done. I just hope my memory is erased kinda or there is a track that is automatic that turns me into the man I would like to be, a loving one.

You know I feel for you. I have felt the same way in the past about being damaged goods. Multiple betrayals will do that to a man. Fear is the dominant motivation on this planet and its the main reason were all so ffd up. Your issues have to be worked out here and now. Were your memory erased you would just face the same trials in a new life.
Its not the trial that's important but your response to it. If you keep facing similar situations its because your drawing that to yourself.

One thing I can tell you is no matter how many times your hearts been raped never give up on love.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

Until the day comes that man can make water, one of the most simple and basic, not to mention needed, things on this planet, we will never be god-like IMO.

Peace

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple
reply to post by ararisq

Until the day comes that man can make water, one of the most simple and basic, not to mention needed, things on this planet, we will never be god-like IMO.

I agree. Though I fear that we already have 'humans' that have been created that no longer match the full human genome. There is an upcoming movie this year called Splice.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
What are we going to do when computers become better at thinking than humans?

Who will work? What meaning will ownership have? Who should have control over the resources of the planet? When we find out how to make humans "better," who is going to have access to the treatment? Who even determines what "better" is?

This world is not going to last much longer, the way we know it now.. that's the only thing I know. We're at the beginning of the end of civilization as we know it. Something new is on the horizon, and not everybody is going to like it.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg
This world is not going to last much longer, the way we know it now.. that's the only thing I know. We're at the beginning of the end of civilization as we know it. Something new is on the horizon, and not everybody is going to like it.

I agree. We should all learn how to do what that other guy did by going 70 years without eating or drinking. If we avoid that then it'd be hard to label us as useless eaters.

new topics

top topics

join