It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ants! Natures marvelous workers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Another user started another thread about how amazing insects are. (here's the post that I mentioned www.abovetopsecret.com...) And I felt Ants are the number one when it comes to the insect world. So many different species of ants and they're all different. The only thing that doesn't set them apart is that they're all social insects. No individual ants have yet to be discovered. Many of you have probably seen magnificent shows about ants and even fictional movies where they become large as a house! But I want to share with you a special video of these creatures. That gives you an idea of their way of everyday life. Whether it be the way they gather food or look after other incests! "Yes ants are social with other incest as well!"

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/96aa270486ef.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7ac25460fba4.jpg[/atsimg]

Google Video Link

"The video is about a hour long. But well worth the watch!" I hope you enjoy this video and learning more about nature's many, many little workers.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Ants are definitely some of the most fascinating things to watch on a sunny summer's day under a nice shady tree.

Brings back the day's of my youth. Good times.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

I fully agree with you. Makes me want to get an ant farm.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Amazing creatures! So industrious and they epitomize teamwork.

Of all the insects, I think it's ants and bees that scare me the most because they communicate. If either of these two ever had a long "talk" about humanity, I'm sure our days would be numbered.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

I had an ant-farm for ages - it was pretty cool. Sometimes I like to kill cain-toads and put them near ant nests and just watch them go nuts.

They play a vital role in our ecosystem aswell.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Ants also herd aphids for food like humans herd cattle, farm mushrooms and fungus, and even keep other ants as slaves!

10 Fascinating Facts about Ants

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
As you all probably know most ants are female and the few males that are produced by the queen during the mating season have wings that fly to other colonies and whatnot. This is an interesting article about how a species was found that doesn't even have males at all. I thought this was interesting.

www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by themightythor

They might be onto something, I saw a thing about baboons, and they removed all the aggressive alpha-male personalities and left the cool ones, and the whole society functioned a hell of alot better.

Food for thought.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Ants definitely are amazing...

Look at how huge this one colony is underground...

(they pump it full of cement, let it dry, then excavate)

Or these ones that clump together to form a floating mass to get places in the wet season...

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

Ahhh you beat me to it. That video is amazing. Ants are amazing.
S & F

When I was a kid I would find an ant trail and make bridges and tunnels for them and most of the time they would follow them. Within a couple of hours they would be going up my ramps and across my bridges.

COOL!

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I think everyone watched ants when they where young. They are absolutely fascinating and mesmerizing to watch. I was always impressed with their complex social structure. The way they work together no matter what they are doing.

We could learn a lot from these little insects.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I'm glad I don't have these ants in my yards. Theses ants would be to hard to deal with in America.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Romantic_Rebel, thanks for that vid.

btw, i'd recommend sim ant for ants lovers:
en.wikipedia.org...
It's old, but unique game.

[edit on 30-4-2010 by potential_problem]

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   

They're closer then you think. This is how humans should be and then more.
This video is awesome!

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Now these ants are what I call awesome!

new topics

top topics

join