It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona sheriff won’t enforce law that’s ’stupid and racist’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

At least one Arizona sheriff is(sic) disagrees with a new Arizona immigration law that critics say could lead to civil rights violations. Sheriff Clarence Dupnik is promising not to enforce the law that he calls "just racist" and "stupid."

The law directs enforcement to use a "reasonable suspicion" standard to decide which persons need to be stopped. People without documentation proving they are legal residents can be imprisoned for up to six months. Governor Jan Brewer sign the legislation into law Friday.

Dupnik is becoming one of the most vocal opponents of the law. The Pima County Sheriff told KGUN that the legislation was "disgusting" and "unnecessary."

"I think the law, as I have said is unwise. It's stupid and racist," said Dupnik.

Dupnik suspects that the law was enacted in Arizona to deflect attention from some of the poor management of financial issues by the state legislature. "They've done a horrible job, and second of all, I think it's just racist," he said.

The law allows any citizen to sue law enforcement who doesn't comply with the law but Dupnik doesn't think that will be a problem for his department. "My guess is when the courts take a look at this that they're going to issue an injunction from its enforcement and eventually it's going to be declared unconstitutional," he said.

rawstory.com...

At least there are still a few public officials in Arizona with some common sense left.
I agree with him. I am fairly certain this law, and any other ones similarly enacted by other states will eventually prove to be unconstitutional as they allow for unreasonable search and seizure, as well as illegal detainment without cause.

That might be a while though unless the justice system speeds this up...yeah right.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by webpirate]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Wow, bravo to this Sheriff, right or wrong, for actually voluntarily limiting his powers of stop and arrest!

This is someone voluntarily (and against the grain) giving up excessive arrest powers voluntarily, that's very big of him.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Sounds like someone is trying to solidify his next term in office. I agree that you should have Probable Cause to stop someone and if their illegal then deal with it. ARS is open to to much interpritation, but this Sheriff is simply grandstanding for his voters and really what else is a guy bordered by a country who has already cut off the head of a police chief going to say? Sounds like he wants votes and fears for his life....IMO

[edit on 4/29/2010 by rcwj1975]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

First of all, it is his JOB to uphold the laws of this state. 70% of the population of this state support this bill.If he's got a problem with any of that, he should resign, now.

Secondly, if he fears for his life, and says things that reflect that fear, he needs to move. We don't need people like him in Arizona right now He's obviously weak.

And lastly, I'm hearing a lot of talk about how this bill is unconstitutional. I'm also hearing a lot of talk about how 70% of Arizonans support this bill. Are we to assume that 70% of Arizonans don't know the constitution? No. That kind of assumption would be "stupid and rascist". So here's the question of the day. In a DEMOCRATIC society, where the majority rules, which one takes precedent-- the 70% of Arizonans [legal citizens BTW] who want this to happen, or a constitution, obviously supported by the other 30%, that was written 137 years before Arizona was even a state, and doesn't even apply to illegal aliens anyway?

I'm doing by best here to deny ignorance. Sometimes I feel like I'm banging my head up against a wall.

Peace

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

Good for him.

Unfortunately this stupid law allows anyone to now sue this man for standing up for what he thinks is right. Do you here that LEOs...just another step in the direction of making sure you follow your orders or you will be punished...no matter how wrong you think a law is...you will enforce it...or you will be sued.

Yeah...this law is ridiculous all around...including this little gem.

11 G. A PERSON MAY BRING AN ACTION IN SUPERIOR COURT TO CHALLENGE ANY
12 OFFICIAL OR AGENCY OF THIS STATE OR A COUNTY, CITY, TOWN OR OTHER POLITICAL
13 SUBDIVISION OF THIS STATE THAT ADOPTS OR IMPLEMENTS A POLICY THAT LIMITS OR
14 RESTRICTS THE ENFORCEMENT OF FEDERAL IMMIGRATION LAWS TO LESS THAN THE FULL
15 EXTENT PERMITTED BY FEDERAL LAW. IF THERE IS A JUDICIAL FINDING THAT AN
16 ENTITY HAS VIOLATED THIS SECTION, THE COURT SHALL ORDER ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:
17 1. THAT THE PERSON WHO BROUGHT THE ACTION RECOVER COURT COSTS AND
18 ATTORNEY FEES.
19 2. THAT THE ENTITY PAY A CIVIL PENALTY OF NOT LESS THAN ONE THOUSAND
20 DOLLARS AND NOT MORE THAN FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR EACH DAY THAT THE POLICY
21 HAS REMAINED IN EFFECT AFTER THE FILING OF AN ACTION PURSUANT TO THIS
22 SUBSECTION.
23 H. A COURT SHALL COLLECT THE CIVIL PENALTY PRESCRIBED IN SUBSECTION G
24 AND REMIT THE CIVIL PENALTY TO THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY FOR DEPOSIT IN
25 THE GANG AND IMMIGRATION INTELLIGENCE TEAM ENFORCEMENT MISSION FUND
26 ESTABLISHED BY SECTION 41-1724.

Arizona Bill

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
It's funny how the same people that support this law are the ones that always complain about how the US is turning into a police state and that the government has to much power. Well I guess if your brown it doesn't matter. Let Johnny Law do what he wants with you. All brown people look like they don't belong here... right?

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Then he needs to resign if he cant handle these laws he was hired to uphold.

The canned responses I have heard from plenty of law enforcement, "If you disagree with this ticket/law feel free to contact your local representatives". This IS the correct response I should be given regardless of my opinion on illegals, drugs, parking tickets, speeding what have you. It is a mandate of the people reflected in our laws (for the most part)

When the police cherry pick which laws they want to ignore or create then we have vigilante justice and is nothing other than a form of corruption. He needs to go immediately and in shame.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
The Governor should remove this renegade sheriff for not upholding the laws of his state and his country.

1. 1950 The Internal Security Act, passed over President Harry Truman's veto, bars admission to any foreigner who is a Communist or who might engage in activities "which would be prejudicial to the public interest, or would endanger the welfare or safety of the United States."

2. 1986 The Immigration Reform and Control Act gives amnesty to approximately three million undocumented residents and provides punishments for employers who hire undocumented workers.

"Mexico's government will use everything in its power to defend the rights of Mexicans who are affected by this legislation and we'll spare no effort to ensure the dignity of every fellow compatriot. -Felipe Calderon, Mexican president April 26, 2010.

The state Department should issue orders to Mr. Calderon to solve his fellow compatriot's dignity problems on his side of the fence or all federal aide will be cut off. He almost sounds like he's ready for war.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Loken68
The Governor should remove this renegade sheriff for not upholding the laws of his state and his country.

People used to say the same thing about people that opposed Jim Crow Laws.

But what president Calderon said is quite stupid. I do agree with that.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3vilscript

If a foreign country enacted a law that could be used to target American citizens would the following be stupid:

"The US government will use everything in its power to defend the rights of Americans who are affected by this legislation and we'll spare no effort to ensure the dignity of every fellow compatriot. -Barack Obama, US president April 26, 2010. "

I think it would be what is expected by all and demanded by every American.

[edit on 1-5-2010 by daskakik]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik

Originally posted by 3vilscript

If a foreign country enacted a law that could be used to target American citizens would the following be stupid:

"The US government will use everything in its power to defend the rights of Americans who are affected by this legislation and we'll spare no effort to ensure the dignity of every fellow compatriot. -Barack Obama, US president April 26, 2010. "

I think it would be what is expected by all and demanded by every American.

[edit on 1-5-2010 by daskakik]

If it was the US no, they have the means. Mexico on the other hand does not. Calderon is an idiot, he will probably do more harm than good with these types of statements. In fact, I'm willing to bet that if an American news agency interviews him, he would retract himself immediately. I would never count on the Mexican government to look out for my rights in the US.

Don't get me wrong if the statement was true I would welcome it, but it isn't. Here is a man that speaks without thinking and could care less for us in the US.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
If the sherriff doesn't want to do the job was elected to, fire his ass. I don't care if it's fear, reverse racism, political leanings, whatever. He can't/won't do his job, fire him and replace him with someone who will...........while we're at it let's apply that to congress as well.

top topics

join