It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It is our fault hispanics can not speak english!!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I know it’s too the point where they want to see your papers in order to stay in this country, but is it really a bad thing?? I for one believe we should be what our four fathers wanted, a melting pot, but because we have been segregated by the country we live in for so long, places like Mexico for example have not had the opportunities that we have had and now have regressed socially, and mentally in lots of ways, so when an “illegal alien” comes into our country we get pissed off because they can’t speak English, and obviously they should, but in reality it is the governments fault for segregating everyone for so long, If they would have started letting people come in to our country 50 years ago they wouldn't be the way they are now, no one can freely go where they please anymore and haven’t been able to for very long, so hence this is why Mexico is the way it is, if the people of Mexico have been able to have the same opportunities as us they probably would be able to speak English, have higher overall wages, and been able to grow and learn like everyone else. Because it has gone on for so long, they might be better off staying in Mexico because of the stigma attached; I would like to know your opinions on this theory. So please be nice!!

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by brooklyn87
I know it’s too the point where they want to see your papers in order to stay in this country, but is it really a bad thing?? I for one believe we should be what our four fathers wanted,

George Washington, Ben Franklin, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson. There's 4 fathers right there. I'm sure there are many more.

Anyway, when I call an American business, why in the blue heck am I asked to press "1" for English? That practice should be banned and the official language of the United States of America should be English.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
When there are huge concentrations of Hispanics, you will not see them make any effort to speak English.
I think that's kind of unique to Spanish people. Are they bad for not speaking English? NO.

I know its very difficult for people who did not attend school here to learn a new language. Maybe if everyone didnt have a choice of pressing 1 for English, and 2 for Spanish, things would be different as well.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I know that press one for english thing ticks me off too!!, i just feel if we actually practiced being a melting pot from the very beginning things would be a lot different

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by brooklyn87

Mexico has regressed socially? That's an arrogantly ethnocentric statement. And, it's not historically accurate either.

Sure, they should learn to speak English. But you (and I) should learn to speak Spanish as well. There is no reason that each one of us should not be fluent in at least 3 languages.

"That's kind of unique to Spanish people"??? LOL that's just a completely ignorant statement, coming from someone that hasn't been around the world much.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Lol, this is funny, i speak both, and here in my country where spanish is official language you can see a lot of people from other countries who still speak their mother tongues, is not a problem, they know they must learn spanish to talk to us in public, but in their houses or communities they are free to speak what they want, i dont see a reason to forgot their mother tongues in their private life, i support the inmigrants learning to speak the language of the country where they live, but hey, there are like 500 million people who speak spanish, we have a good reason to maintain the language, is an heritage and a big one.

My cousins in the US speak both for example.

BTW, here the cashier give you the option between english or spanish

[edit on 27-4-2010 by MonteroReal]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by brooklyn87
I know it’s too the point where they want to see your papers in order to stay in this country, but is it really a bad thing?? I for one believe we should be what our four fathers wanted, a melting pot, but because we have been segregated by the country we live in for so long, places like Mexico for example have not had the opportunities that we have had and now have regressed socially, and mentally in lots of ways, so when an “illegal alien” comes into our country we get pissed off because they can’t speak English, and obviously they should, but in reality it is the governments fault for segregating everyone for so long, If they would have started letting people come in to our country 50 years ago they wouldn't be the way they are now, no one can freely go where they please anymore and haven’t been able to for very long, so hence this is why Mexico is the way it is, if the people of Mexico have been able to have the same opportunities as us they probably would be able to speak English, have higher overall wages, and been able to grow and learn like everyone else. Because it has gone on for so long, they might be better off staying in Mexico because of the stigma attached; I would like to know your opinions on this theory. So please be nice!!
When people come to this country, it should be, as with the millions of immigrants from other countries around the world. They should adjust to our country. Learn to speak our language. Enjoy the benefits of our society, and have something to add.
Why does this one group feel they should be exempt? Why are they unable to do what other groups have been doing with passion and a smile?
It is just another type of drag being brought over our borders, and forced upon our nation.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Unfortunately, the USA does not have an "official" language and establishing it was voted down again a few years ago.

All of us are transplants from all over the world and when our ancesters came here, they wanted to be AMERICAN...and they learned to speak the native tongue.. because they had to...that was when we were a "melting pot"..now we don't expect others to blend in...they are tiny little communities within the larger community..very much seperate. Instead of americans, they are (name your country of origen)-american.

That was the beginning of the fall of rome...they became too big and instead of a blended society, theit society was fractured into many groups.

It always struck me as odd that english is not the official language...too much political correctness, if you ask me...and we've lost our identity.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I completely agree we deserve to speak our native tongues, and I also agree it would be important for us all to speak several languages, But I do live in Texas with lots of Hispanics here, and I have noticed the social differences ... and not in a good way , but I do believe if the separation hadn't occurred at all we would be considered equal with same standards for the most part

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   

When people come to this country, it should be, as with the millions of immigrants from other countries around the world. They should adjust to our country. Learn to speak our language. Enjoy the benefits of our society, and have something to add. Why does this one group feel they should be exempt? Why are they unable to do what other groups have been doing with passion and a smile? It is just another type of drag being brought over our borders, and forced upon our nation.

they shouldn't be exempt but we should all recognize the issues in history that have made them that way or at least seem that way

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   

OMG YOU'RE A RACIST!!!!
not really lol.

I agree, as far as my view on the whole mexicans not speaking english thing all i can share is a short family story.

My great grandparents came over to this country in hopes of a better life. My grand father was one of 12 kids, in his day there was no english as a second language class. He was forced to learn english quick or flunk out of school. It took him a while but he learned english and went on to get a great job and is now living off his pension (it was not a city job).
When my mother was young her parents were both raised without english but they decided to teach their kids only english, the attitude was "we are american we speak english".
So today we have to cater to their needs. Kids do not speak english? Throw them in a ESL class and they can go through their entire lives not learning english, good for them. I think by not getting people to speak english they are setting themselves up for failure. How does anyone with any shred of common sense think they can go to a country and flourish without learning the language of that country. Just like im not going to go to germany to open a business without learning some german. The whole attitude towards minorities has turned into lets change the way we do things so they are happy. People are leaving mexico because there are no jobs and the places they live are dirty slums. So what is going on now in southern california???? Jobs are becoming scarce and LA is turning into a dirty slum.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I'm Hispanic and only know how to speak English.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Maybe...just my opinion...we should consider folks in the present moment instead of some real or imagined past that gives them a "pass" ...too much dwelling on the past and not enough of living in the present creates problems.

Do they want to be americans and participate and add to the society, or do they want to see what they can take?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I like your story Zaiger, I am glad they had that attitude about learning the language, I agree they need to learn english at this point, it can be very frustrating sometimes as I am sure it can be frustrating for them... or some of them

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
the Hispanic culture is not the only one that I refer to though, and you are right lets not dwell in the past, but in order to have a clear picture of the present one needs to look back every now and again

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I would agree with you, however, from my own research into my past family history and meeting with other children of immigrants, I can say the following. Some of my ancestors did immigrate to the United States, passing through Ellis Island. As part of the path to citizenship they had to learn to speak english, to the point of forbidding their own children from speaking their native language. Friends of my family who were also immigrants also had to go through that. There was no problem as it was required to have and gain employment. I have met legal immigrants and they all had to have a good understanding and comprehension of the english language, as most places for the longest while required it. They took the time to learn English and that shows that they wanted to be here. It is not the problem of the citizens of the country to teach those who are not wanting to learn, or even practice. My own experience is that most immigrants do understand english, just choose not to speak it.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I wonder what happened to those days when they were willing and able to learn english, almost everyone I know has been required to take one language in high school and most of them took Spanish.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   

places like Mexico for example have not had the opportunities that we have had and now have regressed socially, and mentally

Wow...really?

If they would have started letting people come in to our country 50 years ago they wouldn't be the way they are now

Ok...exactly what way are they now?

the people of Mexico have been able to have the same opportunities as us they probably would be able to speak English, have higher overall wages, and been able to grow and learn like everyone else.

And now Mexicans can't learn...ok...exactly why are people agreeing with this guy???

Because it has gone on for so long, they might be better off staying in Mexico because of the stigma attached

Well that is nice of you.

So let me get this straight...Mexicans have regressed socially and mentally, can't learn like others, and have a stigma attached to them so they should stay out of the United States??? But if I call this racist...then I will be called the race baiter...correct???

Am I the only one that finds this whole thread disgusting???

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
It is the truth, Mexico is a poor country so obviously they don't have adequate schools, hospitals, career opportunities, just like any place with less then adequate opportunities

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
And OBVIOUSLY I am not talking about all Hispanics mostly just those born and raised in Mexico, but obviously not every single one of them

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join