It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9 die as virus found in B.C. hospital

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

The Vancouver Island Health Authority says nine residents have died since April 5 at a Victoria hospital where an influenza-like virus has been detected.

At least 19 people have become ill after the respiratory illness made the rounds at Glengarry Hospital, which is home to frail and elderly patients, many with pre-existing conditions, according to spokeswoman Suzanne Germain.

Germain said Monday that lab tests have confirmed that the illness is not H1N1, but further tests are being conducted to try and find out what kind of virus is involved.

www.cbc.ca...

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Thats odd. I do have to be skeptic though. A lot of people die from the flu every year its almost entertaining to hear what they are going to call it. Bird flu, swine flu and coming next year alpaca flu. Just because it is a different strain its still the same thing.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I can't recall where I read it, but some news story talked about an invading South American fungus has been reported in the Pacific Northwest and it has a high mortality rate to those exposed.

I will try to find the story and throw up a link.

edit to add:
Didn't take me long to find it. Perhaps there is a correlation to your story?

Deadly airborne fungus reaches Pacific Northwest

[edit on 27-4-2010 by primus2012]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by kenny71
Bird flu, swine flu and coming next year alpaca flu. Just because it is a different strain its still the same thing.

No, they are not even close to the "same thing". Each virus is majorly different in its mortality rates, virulence, propensity to cause cytokine storms, etc.

Bird flu has a mortality rate of 50%, but its hard to spread. Regular flu and H1N1 are easy to spread but have low mortality rates.

Obviously this new virus has a high mortality rate. If it has a high virulence, that would could be devastating to a population, especially if it's a novel virus with which people have no built up immune response yet.

[edit on 27-4-2010 by FalselyFlagged]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by primus2012

I read about that fungus last week also. There's not much info out there yet but it's possible the 2 stories are related. 9 deaths @ the same location = something to keep an eye on.

Here are a few more articles:

Nine Residents Die At Glengarry Hospital After Respiratory Outbreak
www.cfax1070.com...

Nine die in respiratory outbreak at B.C. hospital
www.ctvbc.ctv.ca...

Nine die after respiratory outbreak at Vancouver Island long-term care home
www.vancouversun.com...

Active Outbreak List
www.healthspace.ca...

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by kenny71

thats odd ... right !!

old people already sick died from an unknown virus ...

u dont even need to know math to figure it out

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I too will be watching this very closely as I am planning on moving to the interior of B.C. As new information becomes available, I will be making notes of places, dates and any other relevant info. Hopefully the health district can determine the cause.

new topics

top topics

join