It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Documentary - Life After People - is this a subtle look of what is to come

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Hi All,

Not exactly an Alien issue, well it may be
I saw this interesting documentary the other night and wanted to share it. It is all about whart happens if humans all suddenly dissapear from the planet and how the planet would go on without us and all traces of us would be gone within 1000 years. Also a link to Hoover dam and it's power and how the lights in Vegas would still be on in 100 yrs after humans. ( of course not considering light bulbs and LED life ) but still interesting and made me think about A51 and hoover dam.
Also thinking about Mars and how if there was a civilisation at some point how it would be so hard to find it now. Thats not in the doco but just something i linked to it.

www.youtube.com...

Part 1 of 9 - all on youtube. Makes for some interesting tv.

Enjoy

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I've seen some episodes of this. It pretty much describes how human constructions crumble down due to years of erosion and how plant life takes over and cities become jungles.

Once this virus (us) is over, nature should in time take over again. It's a comforting thought.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Jonas86

Yeah that is a great way to describe humans a virus - i have to agree there.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jonas86
Once this virus (us) is over, nature should in time take over again. It's a comforting thought.

Are you saying that we, ourselves might just be some type of inter planet virus designed to consume all available energy so that the planet becomes nothing but useless dust ?

Adam and eve sure do weigh a lot less than a few 1000 big nutron bombs that require energy to send across the universe but if you look at the time scale involved it's a bit slow unless you happen to live a few billion years which is not all but impossible.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by LieBuster

I dont think he meant a virus here on purpose or put here as a '' virus ''

But we do resemble a larger version of what we consider a virus. We are killing the planet slowly, consuming it slowly.

Although the planet doesnt have much to worry about. All the scientist's talk about Global Warming, which is fair enough to an extent, there are higher levels of Co2 etc. But no one ever talks about the planets Glacial and inter-glacial stages.
Many people are totally unware of it. At the moment we are still in an iceage, but it is an inter-glacial stage( not much ice) but this only happens for about 10-15,000 yrs then the Earth goes back into a Glacial stage for 100,000 yrs ( alot of ice) Almost the entire Northen Hemispere is covered with ice.

We have been in the current inter galcial for about 13,000 yrs already.
This isnt specualtion btw, here's a link to Antarctic ice core sample for 500,000 yrs. Also if you think im lieing by all means google it

www.daviesand.com...

If you look at the graph we are in a high temperature stage as you can see at the very right of the graph. But it aint gonna last

[edit on 25-4-2010 by Havick007]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I've seen this show, also before it was a series and it was just a documentary show. I love it. There's something beautiful about it. I am not morbid, but it is interesting to watch and speculate.

Part of me does wonder if someone/thing is prepping us for something. They seem to promote the show a lot.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007
But we do resemble a larger version of what we consider a virus. We are killing the planet slowly, consuming it slowly.

I just wonder if the people that hold to this view either never leave their home or live in the concrete jungle of a city and don't realize that there is a HUGE planet out there. I for one live in the open country and I don't see how we are consuming the Earth. I drive past forests which are growing (not shrinking). It seems like an eco-system where everything we use will be replenished over time, maybe not in our lifetime but in time none the less. Its almost as if it was the purpose of the planet -- to support our life.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

No No i am not trying to spread bad views of humans, we are a great race and have acheived many great things, i love going out bush and getting away from the suburbs and the city it's fantastic.

Look at how much our popilation has grown over the past 800 yrs, at th time of the black death ( plague in europe ) it wiped out about 60% of the population, at that time we had a population of about 450 million people, in 800 yrs we now have a population of 6 billion people ( approx)
We are growing so quickly it's scary, just imagine how many more people we will have in 100 yrs. places like India, the asian continent, many parts of the USA are all very overpopulated, growth is always taking over wilderness.
I live in Australia, we are lucky so far, we have a land mass almost the same size or slightly bigger than Central USA but we only have 20 million people. We got lots of space but alot of the coutry is harsh and unlivable so far. We have hard and long droughts. I live in a major city - Melbourne and yet we have water restictions because we havent been getting enough rain, our dams are at 40% now just imagine if there were 100 million people in our state, the water would be gone.
Oh you know those water slides you can set up in your garden as a kid and you plug the hose into it, we havent had those hear in about 10 years. I remember having that as a kid, you cant even buy them now. The same for sprinkler's... no chance.

We are killing the earth slowly and it is getting worse.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Ellie Sagan

It's an interesting show and yeah interesting timing as well

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
wow it's an old show I think from memory I saw it 2years ago now...
Interesting all the same, Chernobyl is almost virgin forest again with abundant wildlife... Buildings are being reclaimed by nature and in a few years you wouldnt even know there was a city there.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I watch it every once and awhile when I can. It is a beautifully constructed show, and I agree - it is a comforting thought that nature will one day take over again. Nature always wins.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   

It is all about whart happens if humans all suddenly dissapear from the planet and how the planet would go on without us and all traces of us would be gone within 1000 years.
As I said in another thread, I think the idea that the idea that "all traces of us would be gone within 1000 years" is a very stupid idea.

Maybe because I live in a country in which it's easy to see 800 years old castles or 2000 years old Roman monuments or bridges.

Also thinking about Mars and how if there was a civilisation at some point how it would be so hard to find it now. Thats not in the doco but just something i linked to it.
Martian erosion is much weaker than what we have on Earth, not only because of the thinner atmosphere but also because there's no rain in Mars (although it snows in some places, apparently), so I that if there was something on Mars that we cannot see today it must have been a very, very long time ago.

Part 1 of 9 - all on youtube. Makes for some interesting tv.
There's no such thing as interesting TV.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Fair assumption, but also remember we are here now to keep those castles and some ruins maintained.

What would happen if we were not here to upkeep them??

Look at the town near chernoble(sorry about spelling) pripriat i think that's the name of the town - again sorry about spelling. Only 50 or so years since it''s already falling apart and plants overtaking it, steel and metal rusting/oxidising. Now just imagine after 1000 years.

The pyramids may survive because they will end up being covered in sand again as the sphinx was up untill about 100 years ago.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

You should really watch it, it explains alot of this, it's not some crap domeone has uploaded, it's a history channel / bbc production, although the youtube copy isnt so good.

Eventually skyscrappers will catch fire due to lightning strikes, the lighting conductors on top eventually oxidise and corrode.
Think about your house or yard, what would happen if you didnt mow the lawns or upkeep weeds, plants are amazing, they grow through concrete slowly and seperate concrete slabs, eventually the concrete errodes.
Older/Ancient structures are abit different, they are built with rock that it is more resiliant.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

oh sorry one more reply
there is plenty of interesting TV just not free to air tv, you have to go searching for it. Documentaries are great, CSI, Law and order, Gossip girl and the endless other crap is not interesting but only there to numb our minds.

If free to air tv showed more education and less fiction we would have a much smarter population worldwide. I live in Australia and to be honest i cant understand why the networks here show American sitcoms and drama, it is such a waste of time and your brain.

Although i still love Seinfeld reruns
gotta make time for some comedy in our lives - '' Is it Lupas "

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
thanx for sharing! Watching it now.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by CarlFS

No Probs
It is an interesting look at what maybe to come

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Fair assumption, but also remember we are here now to keep those castles and some ruins maintained.
Not really.

Castles had very little maintenance, and some were abandoned a long time ago.

Also, we also have in Portugal what we call "castros", small cities from the Roman times. Most of them have not had any work done since the Roman conquest, and they are still there.

What that documentary shows mostly is that the building processes used in the US to build skyscrapers and suburban houses it's not the best to withstand erosion without large maintenance.

Exposed concrete will start to crack after 50 years, but here in Portugal, for example, we use lots of stone covering the outer walls of the buildings (the building in which I live is covered with small glass-based mosaic, extremely hard and impermeable, glued with a special cement. After 33 years it looks almost as new (only dirtier
).

They even say in the documentary that "the most colossal of our stone structures, like the Great Wall of China, have aged like mountains, subject to erosion, but at such slow time scales they will still be recognisable for aeons." The great wall of China may be a very large construction, but only in length, there are many, many buildings that are built in a similar way and that will also be recognisable for aeons.

Also, another failure of that documentary is to present erosion and vegetation growth as if it would be the same in all places, and that's not true. Although vegetation grows without problem if unchecked by humans in the area where I live, this is not a tropical jungle and I doubt that it would be covered by vegetation in little time. Oh, and another thing, we don't use cement roads or pavements, we use asphalt over several layers of small rocks, they don't crack like the US roads.

So, trying to link this to a possible ancient Martian civilisation that may have disappeared, I think that we would see the same as on the Earth: some areas would be more affected than others, and the less affected areas would still show some kind of remnant or at least clue for what was there a long time ago.

That's why I think it's a good idea to examine Martian photos, not because I am expecting that someone will find traces of a lost civilisation (I don't think that Mars had any civilisation) but because I think if there was a lost civilisation we can still find some traces of it.

PS: I watch CSI, Criminal Minds and other shows like that, but only to help pass the time. I don't like Seinfeld and most US comedy, it's not my style of humour.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

The documentary didnt say every single trace would be gone. Mars may have had alot more time, even millions of years, hidden under layers as we have on Earth.
I dont know, i dont know for sure there was one there, no one does yet. I Beleive there may hve been with the literally hundreds of photo's i have looked at.
Here's a heads up, if you got some time on your hands, use the MOC images and look at Hale crater, focus on the edges and rockier area,s i have a massive post ready with about 25 pics, but to be honest at the moment i am too lazy to upload them all. I am serious abou that. If i could host and the images would still show up directly in the thread it would be much quicker and easier. I will eventually though, let me say Hale crater is a gold mine. Dont let past lo res images fool you about Hale, they are a joke.
People say oh the Hi-res will be airbrushed, well do they know how many MOC images are available, over 10,000 now unless they have secret team in a warehouse going 24/7 then they can't airbrush all those pics, also CRZ, HiRise HRM and so many more images.
I wasnt gonna talk about Hale untill i could post but it's aint gonna matter, there will still be so many people that dont care and write it off as natural.

Did you see my MOC Endeavour Crater image, if not reply and i will post the link to the thread.
Funny thing about that is Opportunity is on it's way there now and out of all my orbital pics that one truly amazed me.

To quote one of the owners of Secretplanets.com '' Stunning'' and he has seen alot of junk and alot of pictures. Many people that posted saying '' i normally dont see anything in these Mars pics but this one is good and has something in it''

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   

The documentary didnt say every single trace would be gone.
No, but you did said "all traces of us would be gone within 1000 years".

Here's a heads up, if you got some time on your hands, use the MOC images and look at Hale crater, focus on the edges and rockier area,s i have a massive post ready with about 25 pics, but to be honest at the moment i am too lazy to upload them all. I am serious abou that.
I don't have enough time for half the things I want to do, but I can try.

Dont let past lo res images fool you about Hale, they are a joke.
They are not a joke, if used properly, some of those photos have a better resolution than many people think.

People say oh the Hi-res will be airbrushed, well do they know how many MOC images are available, over 10,000 now unless they have secret team in a warehouse going 24/7 then they can't airbrush all those pics, also CRZ, HiRise HRM and so many more images.
It's possible to do it, but unlikely. And I don't even believe they airbrush the photos, I have never seen a photo from a science NASA site that had any sign of being changed in any way.

I wasnt gonna talk about Hale untill i could post but it's aint gonna matter, there will still be so many people that dont care and write it off as natural.
I will probably be one of those. Send me a U2U when you make that thread.

Did you see my MOC Endeavour Crater image, if not reply and i will post the link to the thread.
No, I didn't.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join