It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Street View logs WiFi networks, Mac addresses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Google Street View logs WiFi networks, Mac addresses

www.theregister.co.uk

Google's roving Street View spycam may blur your face, but it's got your number. The Street View service is under fire in Germany for scanning private WLAN networks, and recording users' unique Mac (Media Access Control) addresses, as the car trundles along.

Germany's Federal Commissioner for Data Protection Peter Schaar says he's "horrified" by the discovery.

"I am appalled… I call upon Google to delete previously unlawfully collected personal data on the wireless network immediately and stop the rides for Street View," according to German broadcaster ARD.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
At some point folks are going to wake up and stop patronizing this firm. I don't care what ease of use folks get out of their services, there are ample alternatives out there.

I don't and have not used Google for any reason for about 2 years now. Are there things that I have more trouble, but it is worth.

Twenty years from now, and we're taking a look back how we got ran to ground by the government and we'll look at Google and say "Why did we let one entity so violate our privacy and take from what is so precious?

www.theregister.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
This topic hits close to home.

I love google, just for the reason you said.

I bought my first smart phone based on the thing having an android os.

I think this has disturbing implications, but for another reason.

Why in this day and age of people crying out against invasion of privacy, is google able to capture so many unsecured wifi networks?

Come on sheeple, at least do the bare minimum for god's sake before you cry about google invading your privacy.

If your wifi is left unsecure that is akin to assembling a huge arrow above your home with the words, FREE WIFI HOTSPOT in neon flashing brightly.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
gwifi.net...
www.wefi.com...
lots of others.

War-driving and Google maps is old as dirt. You can map your city just by driving around and using one of the many WiFi programs. Network stumbler is my favorite. With a laptop and GPS you can create your own or add them to the many gmap mashups out there. Of course google wants to be able to show you on a map where to get free wifi. it is as important to some as finding a coffee shop or garage sale.

[edit on 4/24/2010 by staple]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Yes i was in the process of warning people about Google and what it say in the T&C about the toolbar.

for those that get confort from running so called virus tools that report cookies as virius long after they have been put on your computer you need to wake up.

Read up on

Flash Cookies (Objects)
Etags
CrossDomain.xml

MicroSoft had a security hole were java script could log a person into a site (403) even if no login was needed but the Auth_user headders was then sent to all the other sites vistited as part of the HTHP-Headder.

Google is not just using the User-Agent string from the HTTP head to tie up IP address and users without a google cookie but it also runs scripts that sends back everything to google from the version of _javascript installed to the screen resolution so making it easy for google to tie you back up with your real identity.

i'm a bit of an expert on this subject but even so, i suspect i only know about half the techniques being used to track people and don't go thinking you're safe with firefox because FF recives about $50m a year from Google.

Also watch your logs and watch how both MS and Google are making calls for so called safebrowing XML files when you're not browsing which could be called safe if they were not passing a ton of information out from you in the request string.

eBay is using the referer string to watch members long after they have deleted cookies and this is why so many accounts are closed due to what ebay call unusual activity on accounts and is able to send out spam to email addresses they know are still being used. Watch for Rover.ebay.com and note not all the pages show ebay adverts.

My solution is to fight back by having software that clicks every addware link it sees and to share cookies plus running lots of google searches when the maching is not being used so that the data they collect becomes worthless but i am one man and can not do it alone.

i know a lot off what i said here will go over peoples heads but if the tech freaks here know of any bits i've forgot then please let us all know.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
This is a repost. Existing thread here

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I'm not worried if Google know my MAC address because they cannot find my device on the internet as I do not have Google software installed on my computer.

I don't think one should be a concerned unless they have Google software installed.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
google is now big brothers adopted little brother.

and i mean, is it really necessary for us to look at our house/street/car on google when we can just walk outside.

im sure it will be a wonderful tool for the future civilian police forces or thought police that obama wants to implament

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Please join the existing thread on this topic found here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed.

top topics

join