It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I love my country, the United States of America.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Not sure where to put this little story of mine, this is the only place I could think to write it...

Today started as an ordinary day for me. Typical routine of getting up early in the morning to attend college, all while regretting that I stayed up late on ATS. I go to school and listen to my professors ramble on class topics and at the same time, try not day dream about which cigar I want to smoke after school.

On my way home, my mind drifts off into a state of humble thoughts. I look around me and see streets and freeways being expanded and repaired. People are going about their business whether it's eating at local restaurants, engaging in small talk with neighbors or shopping.

I look around further and gaze upon the beautiful land of Pennsylvania, knowing that many people fought and died on the very same land for our freedoms we have now. I thought to myself, "I wonder how things would be now if our history was different?" It put a smile on my face knowing that I am very fortunate to be living in America, where everyone has the opportunity to live the life they want.

I get home around noon and decided to mow the grass before UFOs start making crop circles (It was getting pretty bad). So I'm off riding on the mower listening to newly released Techno/Progressive House songs that I bought, all while enjoying the beautiful sunny day. My two labs were running around like wild banshees, the day couldn't be any more perfect.

I decided to take a break and sit on the front porch while enjoying an ice cold, American brewed-Yuengling Lager to compliment my cigar. While sitting there, my mind began to drift and I emptied out all thoughts. I sat there and enjoyed my day of freedom.

I did not think about the political madness that people create these days. The bigotry that people project about my country was not bothering me. Nothing was going to spoil my day of freedom.

After relaxing a while, something caught my attention...

I heard a loud noise that cracked the air from the distance. The roaring grew louder and louder, and at that moment I knew exactly what it was...
A huge smile spawned across my face as I saw 2 F-16s swoop down over the hills and started banking towards my direction. Chills ran down my spine as they were approaching me, the sound was unreal. Not realizing it, I instinctively stood up and saluted the pilots as they started banking again, which allowed me to see the pilots in the cockpits. As they were in front of me, one of them tipped its wings left to right really quick, in a sense to acknowledge my salute.

I had never experienced anything like this before. I knew that what I had did probably made his/her day, to see my huge American flag on my front yard and me on the porch saluting them.

This day was far from ordinary.

Those pilots are willing to sacrifice their lives so that ordinary citizens like me, can enjoy these days of freedom. Days like today is a reminder to thank those that are serving in the armed forces, not just for people in America, but all the people living in a free-democratic nation that are free to do what they want with their lives. Without them, our lives would be different.

So in the end, I would like to thank the pilots today for giving me a treat, along with reminding me the sacrifice you're willing to make. Today was a great day.

-Clisen33-

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Clisen33]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I'm glad you wrote this.
I agree with what you wrote
I thank the people that defend
our nation every chance I get.

I donate to the vets all the time.
I help them when I see they need help.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Obvously you are delusional as to what your country is now--Your tiny bubble will pop one day--

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
My former next door neighbor when I was stationed in Germany took a ZSU-23 round through the chest on a rescue mission to pick up a downed pilot during Operation DESERT STORM. He was but one of my friends that I lost while they served this nation.

Too many times, our citizens hear the stories, and see the numbers of servicemen and servicewomen who are lost, and it is just a number. This was an excellent post, C33, and more Americans should keep this in mind while they are bashing the military. Our dedicated forces today are the same kind of people that fought at Bunker Hill, Verdun, Normandy, Khe Sahn, and more other locations than I could ever name. We should never take their sacrifices for granted.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by itsawild1
Obvously you are delusional as to what your country is now--Your tiny bubble will pop one day--

I'm not delusional,

I respect the military for what they do.
Granted there are some bad apples,
but that does not spoil all of them.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Your country is more like a tool you use to help keep order in your life. Like a desk. You spend money on it. You change it around as your needs change. Sometimes you add more storage, or another shelf.

Loving it is ridiculous. It's that kind of thinking that makes you keep it around even if the drawer falls off the rails or it loses a wheel. It's not good to be sentimental about your country, or get wrapped up in all the symbolism. If it breaks, you fix it or get another one.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by itsawild1

swap "country" for "self".

mirror, much?

... make folks happy.

funny how one's appreciation draws another's angst.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
It's an interesting difference between Americans and Brits I think regarding how our patriotism is shown and to what. If I saw a pair of Eurofighters, I'd probably think it was cool, but not smile and salute. I do respect our armed forces here in the UK, but it's not the same symbol it is in America because of the history we have regarding it.

Now if I were to see a Spitfire, you bet I'd smile and feel much the same thing! It's all about what it means relative to a nation's identity.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

Until then, I will continue to love my country and do my best to contribute to society. Nothing about my life has been changed because of the government. The only negative things that have happened to me were because of my stupidity and wrong choices that I made.

And again, those were my choices, the choice to do what I want with my life.

I'll continue on and finish my degree in Computer Networking Technology, and do my best to bring the best quality of life for my daughter and wife.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Clisen33]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ProjectJimmy

Nothing in his thread was offensive and you can’t blame him for loving his country... so good for him

Now if I were to see a Spitfire, you bet I'd smile and feel much the same thing! It's all about what it means relative to a nation's identity.

About 4 years ago i was at the Biggin Hill Air show... At the end of the day they done a Battle of Britain tribute, two Spitfires and a Lancaster flew past to the tune of the dam busters... quickly followed by the Sally B (Britain’s last remaining B17) to the tune of Moonlight Serenade... My wife looked at me and said "are you crying?"

"No No, I’ve just got something in my eye" i replied

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
That would have to be the lamest thing I've read on here in a long time.

Your whole post, once broken down and sifted of all the sickening yank crud and your cold yank beer was about the fact you seen some F-16's. Wow.

You got up and saluted the pilots without noticing you had done it? What kind of hot air American flag bandanna wearing trollop is that?

Your country is the most energy consuming, greedy, corrupt and vile nation on earth. And as a member said earlier, your country is about to go "pop"...

Only an American could have the over the top patriotism and the nerve to make a whole post on something as pathetic as this

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Nomad451

Come on... That’s way over the top... you know how many millions of decent people you have just offended.

The OP was a little dramatic for my taste, but like i said before... there is nothing offensive in it.

Your attack is out of line and out of proportion in my opinion!

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Clisen33

you're living in a dream world Neo !!!!
Wake-Up !!!
U took the blue pill didn't you ???
tsk tsk

just wait til those soldiers are standing
at every intersection and checking off
a list to see who gets free passage.
Then you can stand and salute them too,
all the way to the FEMA camp.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nomad451
And as a member said earlier, your country is about to go "pop"...

A little off topic, but uh source? Also I note that you do not list your country of origin, mind if I ask?

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   

That would have to be the lamest thing I've read on here in a long time.

Your whole post, once broken down and sifted of all the sickening yank crud and your cold yank beer was about the fact you seen some F-16's. Wow.

You got up and saluted the pilots without noticing you had done it? What kind of hot air American flag bandanna wearing trollop is that?

Your country is the most energy consuming, greedy, corrupt and vile nation on earth. And as a member said earlier, your country is about to go "pop"...

Only an American could have the over the top patriotism and the nerve to make a whole post on something as pathetic as this

How did I offend you? I did not display a single ounce of hatred to anyone, or any other country. In fact, I showed homage to other nations by reminding its people to thank their armed forces.

You just contradicted yourself by making a disgusting, heartless, vile, crud-filled post. Hope it made your day better.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Nomad451

Im sorry that you live in a place where patriotism is looked down on.

Personally, the ones I mostly hear talk crap about our Military are the ones who would fall apart the second they had to go through any of what these guys had to.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Hear Hear!

You just got a star and flag from me

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   

I apologize.

2nd line

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   

I apologize.

2nd line

Apology accepted, and thank you. I have no intention to offend anyone, just merely reminding others to not take their freedoms for granted, including non-Americans such as England, France, Germany, etc. We all practically share the same lifestyle and freedom.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I do not mean to say the things I said, they were harsh and not called for...

While I don't have anything against you as an individual person (I don't even know you ), I cannot help but hold a very, deep seated anger, even a "disgust" at the things you listed.

Now I don't mean this as a personal attack. And like I said, I am sorry for my last post. I have no real idea why I feel such deep feelings of negativity toward your level of patriotism.

Perhaps it has to do with my own conclusions of this world we live in. We are short on energy, on oil, we are drowing in debt and face global economic ruin... And while all nations of earth are responsible for the catastrophe we are about to face, it is America who leads the way in consumerism and debt and energy addiction to consumption.

I am a happy person in life, I lead a happy life with very little concern so what I am saying doesn't reflect my own lifestyle... It is just how I see the reality of the state we are all in.

You sound like a decent human, only really concerned with looking after your wife and daughter, I really respect that.

It is just the anger I feel towards our worlds dying paradigm and my disgust towards anything that cherishes what is a major contributing factor in this era of failing human history

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join