It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese spacecraft to land in Australia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Link to Source article...

Japanese spacecraft to land in Australia [abc.net.au]

Snippet from article...
"A Japanese spacecraft is due to land on the Woomera test range in South Australia's outback in June.

If the mission is successful, it will be the first time a spacecraft has made contact with an asteroid and returned to Earth.

The Hayabusa spacecraft, which made contact with an asteroid five years ago, is expected to be carrying valuable samples from it.

Australia Department of Innovations' Dr Michael Green says people in the vicinity should be able to see the spacecraft's re-entry.

"There will be obviously a re-entry trail that will be visible, weather permitting, and that will be like a shooting star in the sky as it comes in to Woomera," he said."

Please see linked article for full story.

Explanation: It should be quite a show!

Personal Disclosure: As my real 1st name is Peregrine and I'm an Australian plus several other factors lead me directly to this story!
Narcissism can be a wonderfull thing sometimes!

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Apparently it will be passing over the southwest of WA as it comes in, so if I'm home, I will be getting some footage (weather permitting of course).

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Im just wondering if it will land as in controlled or if it just crashes to earth and they pick up the pieces?Lets hope it doesnt bring some alien virus or bacteria from the asteroid and destroy all of us.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

First thing I thought of was the Venom saga of Spiderman!! xD

Maybe I am just a big nerd.
--

At least there is a place to land, better than making a splashdown!!

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Explanation: It will land [hopefully] by using a parachute...

Hayabusa [wiki]

Note: Look under Mission profile. [3rd paragraph, last sentence.]

Personal Disclsoure: I wouldn't get my hopes up as it seems to have failed in its mission to collect a full sample!

In November 2005, it landed on the asteroid and attempted to collect samples but failed to do so. Nevertheless, there is a high probability that some dust swirled into the sampling chamber, so it was sealed, and the spacecraft is scheduled to return to Earth by June 2010.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Yeah its a worry, all of those old sci-fi movies always seem to come true,I think The Blob had a similar storyline .Theres a lot of desert out at Woomera ,Maybe we will start to see some mutant roos or pigs.Ever seen Razorback?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
Im just wondering if it will land as in controlled or if it just crashes to earth and they pick up the pieces?Lets hope it doesnt bring some alien virus or bacteria from the asteroid and destroy all of us.

Good point 12voltz "controlled or if it just crashes to earth" Hayabusa has built in parachutes ready for a landing.
As for "controlled" not sure about that because I have the sneaky
feeling they(Japan) didn't expect to get Hayabusa back to Earth as it's only recently Japan asked the Australian Gov. for permission for the Landing and Retrieval of Hayabusa at Woomera and the date of landing is June 13 to be exact
if you notice the article was updated from First posted "Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:46pm AEST" to "Updated Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:51pm AEST". The first report stated the date June 13th so I went to Jaxa and confirmed the date now Jaxa and the News report have withdrawn this Date- believe a member

Russia's Darwin space base Other Space Agency's like JAXA are looking for Australia's cooperation too. Next month (June), JAXA's HAYABUSA aboard the Asteroid Explorer, launched by the M-V-5 Rocket from Kagoshima Space Center, May 9, 2003, is scheduled to land at Woomera Test Range South Australia HAYABUSA's Sample Recovery Capsule to land on Earth on June 13.

Here's a heads up for you Chadwickus watch for "Hayabusa June 13" , as big as a Basket Ball 40cm
I'll check out some sat-tracking sites too.
Hayabusa will go Sonic too so Perth or more so East of Perth may hear the Sonic boom "Mach—1, (1 Ma = 1224 kmh)"

Picture from the presskit_hayabusa_e.pdf found right side under "Presskit"

Zelong.

[edit on 3/6/10 by Zelong]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Well Im currently trying to get a transfer back to Woomera. The met office there is pretty much on the range. If its using the runway it woulf be a perfect oppurtunity to get pictures

Wish me luck on the application

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Zelong

Thanks for the information, I almost forgot about this lol

I don't know if 'll be home or not on the 13th

In fact, I don't like my chances at all!

Will still keep an eye on it though, maybe it will come over a bit further north (read A LOT further North) and I'll still see it!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Well Im currently trying to get a transfer back to Woomera. The met office there is pretty much on the range. If its using the runway it woulf be a perfect oppurtunity to get pictures

Wish me luck on the application

All the Best with your application OzWeatherman, I wish you luck(if that's what's needed)

You know I had an 82yr old staying with me some years back he was stationed at Woomera WW2 or Korea not sure now, it's a Bugger because I realized later I should of recorded what he had to say, nothing of UFo's etc as that is what I always asked him But what "Rosco" Ross always talked about was their pet Emu they had on base. This Emu seemed to be their entertainment and affection it was theirs Only Four of them stationed at the time(boring)

The reason I mention this OzWeatherman is maybe there's more on this story have a look at the History there this Emu story may be Noted. When "Rosco" was in the Truck this Emu had it's head resting on the Trucks window sill while the Truck was doing 40mph
and Come
Spring Time this Emu would become dangerous trying to mount them
Until you get a fix on it I'll call it:
"The Crazy Woomera Emu Bird"

Zelong.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Zelong

Yep, the emus have quite the reputation around town. They used to try and come in through the work gate all the time, lol

And here they are in town

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

NASA perfected lithobraking with the Genesis probe in 2004
:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
To the OP and the thread contributors thanks for all the information on this event, Iam a beginner on space matters, the virus thing is worrying but lets hope all goes well.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Thanks Zelong ,i had forgotten about this but now will keep an eye out for it Any idea which direction its approaching from .Could be another Skylab!

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Saint Exupery

That's some good footage there Exupery
and landed in front of the camera
Neg parachute but still with-stood the impact, soft ground mud? Woomera's terra firma is Hard Rock lets hope Hayabusa's parachute opens.

Zelong.

[edit on 4/6/10 by Zelong]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Zelong

Hey the dirts not hard rock if its been wet

Its all muddy, lol. Have fun watching the tourists pull off the road or try and do u-turn, only to get stuck on the side of the road,

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Thanks for that OzWeatherman, I was wondering at the time How do I know, I've never been out there so I was going of the pictures I have of Woomera Launch Pad. So its red Mud Not Red Rock

Sorry about the size. This picture is already mounted.

Zelong.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
More news on Hayabusa's touch down at Woomera. The article below states One week from today makes the date June 13

Hayabusa prepares to touch down in SA

An unmanned spacecraft set to become the first to bring material from an asteroid to earth is expected to touch down in South Australia's remote outback in one week.

The Japanese spacecraft Hayabusa, which has been in space for seven years, is expected to land in the Woomera Prohibited Area in far northern South Australia late next Sunday night, local time.

Zelong.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Zelong

Looks like I'll probably miss this by a day or two...

Is there a projected flight path yet?

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
why are we allowing them japs to land their craft on aussie soil?

isnt australia in a whaling ban war with japan?!?!

there should be no communication, trade, immigration, tourism between australia and japan until the whaling issue is resolved.

the academy award winning documentary the cove proves the japs are just whale eating morons. down with them!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join