It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Truck driver forced to show birth certificate claims racial-profiling

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Truck driver forced to show birth certificate claims racial-profiling

www.azfamily.com

PHOENIX – A Valley man says he was pulled over Wednesday morning and questioned when he arrived at a weigh station for his commercial vehicle along Val Vista and the 202 freeway.

Abdon, who did not want to use his last name, says he provided several key pieces of information but what he provided apparently was not what was needed.

He tells 3TV, “I don't think it's correct, if I have to take my birth certificate with me all the time.”

Abdon was told he did not have enough paperwork on him whenAn agent called his wife and she had to leave work to drive home and grab other docume
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Wow, just wow..this poor man!! He now has to live in fear of being handcuffed and taken to jail!! FOR WHAT!!

Im white, so I dont know what its like to be "profiled"..and I really do feel for this man. Just because he is darker skin tone and looks spanish/mexican decent, he is profiled. This is criminal to me.

www.azfamily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I read the article, and I really dont see why they are bitching.
The guy got pulled over, was asked for information on who he was(normal)and he didnt have it. They arrested him for not providing his identity.
And doesnt he know, that AZ is cracking down on illegal immigration like crazy right now?

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Off topic a bit but.... I happen to know a bit about profiling first hand.
I'm a white male, I was 28-30 at the time.
I lived in Chicago, and worked late hours in a restaurant.

The fastest way home from work was through a high crime area, and the sellers were always on the corners.

In 2 years, I was pulled over 5 times, always for some trumped up reason, and always by undercover cops who should have had better stuff to do than traffic stops.

The conversation went something like this..

Officer: Do you know why I pulled you over this evening?
Me: No, did I do something wrong?
Officer: Yes, you didn't fully stop at that stop sign. (In Chicago? C'mon man!)
Officer, again: What are you doing in this neighborhood at this time of night?
Me: On my way home from work.

After a license check, and his flashlight all through my car, I was always let go, no ticket.

However, the simple fact that a white male was in a drug infested neighborhood late at night apparently screamed out that I must be lookin to score.

Profiling works both ways.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
well if he was driving didnt he have a drivers license? if he did and they still asked for a birth certificate then thats absurd. if he didnt, then I guess I can see why he was arrested.

my problem is, I dont always carry ID when I'm out but not driving. Whenever I go jogging or mountain biking I never take my wallet because I dont want to lose it. I dont know if thats illegal or not but it shouldnt be.

but I live in Michigan so maybe its different here..

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
They arrested him for not providing his identity.

...nope... he had his cdl and ss# - both of which are easily checked and should have been enough for anyone... we are not required to carry our birth certificate or our social security card... unless the same nazi-crap was pulled on white truck drivers, this was racial profiling...

And doesnt he know, that AZ is cracking down on illegal immigration like crazy right now?

...so, if you got handcuffed and detained because you werent carrying your birth certificate, you wouldnt complain, huh?...

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
A CDL was not enough.

In calif they do a background check per federal regulations.

Sounds like someone needs retraining on federal laws.

Ether that or this truck driver was forced to show additional documentation to cover racial profiling.
IE they knew he was legal but ran him through the ringer just to show they check every one.

I wonder if this truck driver had a hazmat endorsement where they did the homeland security background check for his licence

+13 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
So where are all the people that said this wouldn't happen??? It has been what...less than a week that they have been talking about this new bill (that isn't even passed) and AN AMERICAN CITIZEN has already been handcuffed and detained???

He had his CDL and told them his SSN...and still cuffed...why...BECAUSE THE COLOR OF HIS SKIN. I hope he sues them and gets a huge settlement from it.

This man was BORN in the United States and is a CITIZEN.

If you guys don't see a problem with this...then your racisim is so strong it blinds ALL your logic and judgement.

So come one people...I want to hear from all of you that were praising this new proposed law...let's hear you defend this.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by OutKast Searcher]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
So where are all the people that said this wouldn't happen??? It has been what...less than a week that they have been talking about this new bill (that isn't even passed) and AN AMERICAN CITIZEN has already been handcuffed and detained??

It's been passed, it just hasn't been signed into law yet. Not that it matters since it's apparently already happening. And I doubt many of them post in this thread. No one likes to admit they were wrong.

Back to the OP, there's no way they weren't profiling with this guy. Had he been white they might have checked his license, but that would have been the end of it.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
This is such a dumb thing to bitch about. People, white, black, whatever get profiled. Its something that happens. Its not always right but if your innocent you should have nothing to worry about. Immigration is a huge problem in America and states are trying to fix it. I commend them for that. If I was a Latino, Mexican, or whatever, but was a legal citizen i would be glad law enforcement were making an effort to weed out the freeloaders. I got profiled all the time for driving a sports car. Now I have a truck, I never get pulled over. I even got profiled at a sobriety check. All the old people were waved through, but when they got to me, a young pup, they stopped me and checked my ID and asked all sorts of intruding questions when I had CLEARLY done nothing wrong.

I had to show my birth certificate just to get my drivers license renewed, to go to school, to get a job, and for my CCW.

I, in no way, felt profiled.

Either way, profiling happens to everyone. Stop playing the race card already.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   

The guy got pulled over, was asked for information on who he was(normal)and he didnt have it. They arrested him for not providing his identity.

Abdon was told he did not have enough paperwork on him when he pulled into a weigh station to have his commercial truck checked. He provided his commercial driver’s license and a social security number but ended up handcuffed.

It says here..he had his driver's license AND ss number!! Thats all I carry!!

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
So where are all the people that said this wouldn't happen??? It has been what...less than a week that they have been talking about this new bill (that isn't even passed) and AN AMERICAN CITIZEN has already been handcuffed and detained???

He had his CDL and told them his SSN...and still cuffed...why...BECAUSE THE COLOR OF HIS SKIN. I hope he sues them and gets a huge settlement from it.

This man was BORN in the United States and is a CITIZEN.

If you guys don't see a problem with this...then your racisim is so strong it blinds ALL your logic and judgement.

So come one people...I want to hear from all of you that were praising this new proposed law...let's hear you defend this.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by OutKast Searcher]

I couldnt have said it better!! This is just the beginning , I have a feeling..Im white..and I have to say..if he'd have been white..they probably would have taken his SS# and CDL and that would have been enough.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   

No why dont you read the article?

He tells 3TV, “I don't think it's correct, if I have to take my birth certificate with me all the time.”

3TV caught up with Abdon after he was released from the Immigration and Customs Enforcement office in central Phoenix. He and his wife, Jackie, are still upset about what happened to him.

Jackie tells 3TV, “It's still something awful to be targeted. I can't even imagine what he felt, people watching like he was some type of criminal.”

Abdon was told he did not have enough paperwork on him when he pulled into a weigh station to have his commercial truck checked. He provided his commercial driver’s license and a social security number but ended up handcuffed.

Really? You dont see the problem here? Maybe this is just politics as usual for you right? This bill not only discriminates fellow americans on the basis of skin colour and appearance, the law enforcement is given the power to dictate what document is authentic and good enough, what documents are not. Something law enforcement officers are not at standing to judge or authenticate. So now fellow americans are being forced to carry 50, 40 or 30 year old long form birth certificates as evidence? What the hell is wrong with you? You think thats right? Being harassed day in and out, having to carry your old long form birth certificate everywhere you go??

Yep, because apparently his Social Security number and drivers licence wasnt enough right? He needed his old birth certificate to carry around him everywhere! Right! Thats normal!

[edit on 22-4-2010 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

Well then I retract my statement.
I didnt see that in the article.

I have several forms of I.D. I carry around with me
MyState ID.
SSC
Sheriffs Card
Health Card
Work ID card
Alcohol Awareness Card Card
All with picture I.D.s.
B.C at Home.

I NEVER have to worry about proving my I.D because I always keep I.D. on me.
But if some cop said that I looked like an Illegal Immigrant from Ireland
I would probably agree with him, but thank god I have the ID to prove otherwise.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   

reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

Well then I retract my statement.
I didnt see that in the article.

Ofcourse you didnt and your reply still shows your ignorant of the situation in the article.

I have several forms of I.D. I carry around with me

In this case they didnt accept his social security card or his drivers licence, they arrested him because he didnt have his birth certificate. Do YOU carry your 40 or 30 year old long form birth certificate with you everywhere??

I NEVER have to worry about proving my I.D because I always keep I.D. on me.

Neither did this individual as he had two forms of I.D on him and yet he was still held up for not having sufficient ID. All this over racial profiling over this pointless bill!

Read the article.

[edit on 23-4-2010 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

Yes, as far as I KNEW..that's all we are required to carry..a drivers license..and SS#..and usually they dont even ask for the SS #. I mean ive been pulled over for speeding..and they ask for proof of insurance and DL..thats it!!!

But Im a white, female...usually females arent hassled unless you look like a crack head..lol

link   

The agents needed to verify Abdon was in the country legally and it is not uncommon to ask for someone's birth certificate.

From the article! I have never in my life had my drivers licence or social security card denied as indentification. I never for the life for the life of me carry my old long form birth certificate. Who on earth carries around a 40 or 30 year old document for identification? But then again im not hispanic/latino! Ya know?!

link   
Once again we see a good example of a State such as AZ dealing with affects of illegal immigration and not dealing with the real cause of the problem.

This is akin to an over abundance of drugs on the streets and instead of going after the drug dealers, Law enforcement instead goes after all the drug users, because its easier than dealing with the root cause of the problem which is the drug dealers. This is why Americans need to focus on the real immigration problem, which is the corrupt politicians that legislated such laws that allow for illegal immigrants to get costly benefits at the expense of the American citizens.

Apparently most Americans do not have an effective way in influencing our corrupt politicians to do what is necessary to stop the corrupt system that recruits illegals just so certain select corporations can get rich off of the corrupt process. It is those tax paid benefits that are offered by corrupt politicians in order to earn the bribe money that the corporations paid them to ensure that illegal immigrants can come here and help corrupt American corporations make billions at the expense of the American tax payer.

It is the existing corrupt system that promotes the illegals coming here and until the source of the problem is dealt with, angering American citizens is just an easy way to do nothing meaningful. Perhaps this is the intent.

AZ has shown that they too do not have the back bone to address the real cause of our illegal immigration problems. Too bad, because if AZ had made an issue of the root cause, we would be on our way to helping fix the problem.

What is going on now in AZ has more to do with establishing police state protocols than curbing illegal immigrants. Pulling over Americans and threatening incarceration for lack of a birth certificate is the height of stupidity that one would expect from a communist state like Russia at the height of the communist Russian dark years of totalitarianism where millions were murdered for stupid reasons like we are seeing in AZ.

With a SSN, Drivers license, CDL and voters registration card, law enforcement should be able to tell who is who, but asking for a birth certificate is just wrong and shows that they are not concerned with what will help do the job. AZ is in fact in a police state learning mode paid for by federal tax dollars. As such, we are seeing what happens when stupidity rules over common sense which is the prelude to much worse tactics.

Pretty soon papers or race and immigrant status wont matter because everyone will be rounded up and transported to the FEMA camps that Glenn Beck the liar says does not exist just for being an American who once was proud of a country with freedoms and liberties for all. AZ is showing us how police state gets set up and implemented. Pay attention because this same tactic will soon be coming to a State where you live.

Thanks for the posting.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
If there wasn't such a huge problem with illegals, this would have never had to happen. To be required to carry a birth certificate with you is extreme though. Looks like they are trying to scare the illegals away. It's the fault of the government and corporations who hire illegals. They have made it too easy for them to come and stay.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join