It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI wants YOU to help find ET! Introducing setiQuest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   

For centuries humans have looked at the stars and wondered “are we alone?” Now, setiQuest is an opportunity for you to help answer that question

setiQuest

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/400478af35ba.gif[/atsimg]

If you enjoy signals from space, and always wanted to be like Jodi Foster in Contact, Now is your chance!! SETI wants YOU to analyze their signals!

SETI's data, compiled from 25 years of scanning the skies with advanced astronomical telescopes, will be made available on a special SETI website this summer, at which point users can take whatever data sets they wish and comb through them looking for patterns or noise that SETI's algorithms may have overlooked

So what exactly is setiQuest?

setiQuest is an effort to tap into the global brain trust, harness the power of citizen scientists, and educate the next generation of Earthlings to improve current searches for extraterrestrial intelligence and better understand our place in the cosmos. We are creating a community - or if you prefer, a tribe - to actively involve the world in the ultimate search for cosmic company

What skills do you need to be able to use this data?

In the future, we hope that a global army of open-source code developers, students and other experts in digital signal processing, as well as citizen scientists willing to lend their intelligence to our exploration, will have access to the same technology and join our quest.

I know there has been alot of people who think SETI is a waste of time, and that they are searching the wrong wavelengths, but I think this is a huge step in the right direction. Hopefully this will develope a large community that will exponentially increase the amount of data being analyzed, and maybe even find something of signifigance!

-E-

[edit on 22-4-2010 by MysterE]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Thanks for this! I used to be part of SETI@Home which was useful, but nowhere as interesting as this! I just had a quick read and this looks like a much more interesting hands on approach. To be able to actually listen to and analyse the data from the radio telescope yourself is an exciting step forward for sure!
Thanks

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Iwasas

I'm pretty excites as well, I wish I knoew how to design an algorithm to filter out the interesting signale.

-E-

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Is this a joke from SETI???? With thousands of extra-terresterial UFOs already flying over our skies and admitted by several heads of states???

Is SETI run by the blind, deaf and dumb????

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Yes tell me about it, I fear I will be only as much use as listening and visually anlysing plots using software provided. I've tinkered around with Ham radio quite a lot, having been licensed for about 15 years! so hopefully the experience there will help

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I say go with it!!

Hydrogen times Pi, right?

For what it is worth I bet we have uncovered signals already, we just haven't heard anything about them, because they went away to fast, or other reasons regard disclosure.

It would be quite cool if someone found signals from Mars!

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
double post sorry.....

[edit on 24-4-2010 by theability]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Ok. I want to help S.E.T.I.:
Take a closer look in Hellas Basin on Mars.

top topics

join