It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Detroit: No Money, No Water

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
www.circleofblue.org...

Quote from source:

Detroit's water utility supplied 20 percent less water in 2009 than it did in 2003. The obvious reasons why are a steep decline in Industrial activity and population. Michigan's largest city - home to 820,000 residents, 1 million less than in 1950 - is losing 10,000 residents annually.

But a third important source of the department's diminishing market is that many poor residents simply can't afford the basic service. Thousands of Detroit residents have had their water connections cut by the city, forcing people to adopt informal methods to gain access to drinking water.

"I've been to some neighborhoods where they run a hose through the window from their neighbor's house," said Maureen Taylor, chair of the Michigan Welfare Rights Organization (MWRO), which educates low-income workers and welfare recipients on social services rights.

"I've seen hoses from house to house. I've seen people with big water canisters getting water from the neighbors. Most folks understand the situation and give a hand."

I never understood this... How can we possibly take water from people? Just because they can not afford the bill. Insane what the world has come to when people who have no money cannot have a basic service of water.

To me, if anyone dies or anything happens that impairs health, the water company should be charged with the crime. If there is a death then they should be charged with murder. They are the ones responsible, and they are choosing money over human life.

Disgusting.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I totally agree with ya.

Maybe u ought to read this article
while we're on the subject.

www.foxnews.com...

just breaks my heart

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Without water you die, they know this.

If you think its bad now, give them a year to surprise you.

See we are not to different than Iraqis in the sense that when it comes to be our turn to take a "pounding" nobody will care.

First the jobs then the water and slowly but surely the food.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by samhouston1886

too late, its already started
u need to read this

Want to stock up on sacks of rice and cooking oil and
flour and other such staples to survive the Coming #storm?
Too late! CostCo is limiting how many sacks of rice you can buy!
At warehouse stores from coast to coast, managers are setting
limits on food purchases. CostCo customers in Silicon Valley can
only buy one sack of rice, while shoppers in New York stores have
limits on oil and flour

wonkette.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Detroit is dying along with other cities and one needs to ask why? I'm not sure what it is, but companies do not want to go there. It may be taxes...who know, but whatever it is it is not working. I wonder if Michigan became a zero state tax state if that would re-light their industries?
I do know it is not a place I would like to raise my family, so something has failed and I’m not sure if I can pin point the cause. Basic needs such as heat, food, water still needs to be available to all though.

Drastic changes are needed in any case.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Not sure what this means, but in the state of Washington if I wanted a ton of rice tomorrow I could easily buy it....

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

he was speaking of just 1 food chain
limiting some grocery items. Other stores
still have no limits. But all it takes is 1
to start an epidemic.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Originally posted by samhouston1886

too late, its already started
u need to read this

Want to stock up on sacks of rice and cooking oil and
flour and other such staples to survive the Coming #storm?
Too late! CostCo is limiting how many sacks of rice you can buy!
At warehouse stores from coast to coast, managers are setting
limits on food purchases. CostCo customers in Silicon Valley can
only buy one sack of rice, while shoppers in New York stores have
limits on oil and flour

wonkette.com...

Do you have anything more current than 2008?

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by InterestingRide

Do you have anything more current than 2008?

Wasn't that the year people freaked out over rice for no real reason? It lasted a few months and then we had one of the biggest rice crops in America's history...ya we American are crazy...

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   

This is why.

Water companies need money to operate, electricity costs money. See how capitalism works? Let's just have the government take over water supplies, yeah that'll work.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by InterestingRide

no, nothing more current
but it could be used as a model
for 2010

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
It's going to cost the city more money to repair main breaks when people start digging into the pipes to get the water. They might want to rethink their tough stance on cutting off water. Humans are very creative when it comes to getting basic needs, and carrying out vengeance.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
The problem of Detroit IS the City Authorities themselves.

We own land in Detroit and its sheer hell dealing with them.

Firstly, if you buy a building, you cannot even register ti as yours unless you bring it up to their very high standards. Of course, this will take time, during which it will be continuously looted. I heard of one guy who has spent several YEARS and over a million trying to bring three worthless houses up to the required quality only to have it repeatedly vandalised each night...and he can't even sell them for $1 until he has registered them as his own. This laughably entitled "Anti-Blight" Legislation is resulting in very good homes with a minor fault or two that have been repossessed and sold at auction being invariably torn down by the thousands whilst people live in tent cities.

Likewise, if someone chucks a bag of the remains of their KFC meal on your lawn overnight whilst you are asleep, the city officials can whack you with a $16,000 fine in the morning.

Failing to cuit the grass is a big fine too, so gardens across the city are bing ripped up and covered with gravel and conrete turin it into a hideous mess.

Paying taxes is an uphill struggle. We have, so far, not received a single tax demand. They were all misdelivered. We survive by sitting for hour after hour on the phone day after day at punative cost to our phone bill in order to discover that we now owe $6 in taxes each 6 months by someone who has a postgraduate degree in rudeness and ignorance.

The city now employs over 60% of the remaining residents, so they work hard at creating stupid jobs for clumsy cretins that dumps astronomic burdens on the remaining 40%.

And because of the collapse in the car industry, the Mayor's office is able to hide behind that and justy keep these crazy schemes running, no matter how destruct these policies are as they carpet bomb the city
s infrastructure.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by airvicemarshal

If you want proof of the stupidity of the Detroit municipality, it is easy to demonstrate. Check out Auburn Street where we have our land for instance. One half is in Detroit, the other in Detroit, the other in Dearborn. Identical houses, identical street, identical type of people, everyone affected by the crash in the motor industry. On the Dearborn side, despite the property crash there, a plot of land will set you back about $25,000 plus. A few yards away, on the Detroit side, you can buy a plot for $100 and still have change if you push the agent.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
How about the dangers of what we can afford. This one has got to be the most disgusting signs of the times I've seen. "We used to call that food tampering". So much wanton negligence it almost seems purposeful; when's Skynet arriving?

Hidden hazards of nano-ingredients
I never thought I’d say this, but there’s something in your food that’s even worse than sugar… and this microscopic new threat isn’t even listed on the ingredients label.

These tiny terrors are called “nanoparticles” or “nanomaterials,” and they’ve been scientifically engineered to make foods look better and last longer.

But when it comes to nano, just say no-no — because nanotechnology, as it’s called, is wildly unregulated and dangerously untested. In fact, we have no idea at all what this junk might to do humans — yet you’re probably eating it right now.

Welcome to your new life as a supermarket lab rat.

What little we do know is downright frightening: A two-year study on animals at UCLA found nano-titanium dioxide — the most common nanoparticle — caused DNA and chromosome damage, according to AOL News.

The researchers say this kind of severe damage could lead to cancer, heart disease and brain disease… and yet these nano-particles are turning up in everything from fruit and vegetable coatings to salad dressing to ice cream.

We used to call that food tampering. Instead, the mad scientists behind this sick scheme are considered industry pioneers.

Meanwhile, the FDA is so in the dark on this one that they won’t even admit it’s in your food… even if its own experts say it is. In fact, the AOL News report found that 20 of the world’s top food makers have their own nano-labs or contracts with universities to develop nano-ingredients for them.

And because there’s no requirement to list these particles on nutritional labels, there’s no way of knowing if your food has been nano-tainted… and therefore no way to avoid it.

It’s reaching the point where the only way to be safe is to grow your own — and if you have the time and space, don’t wait — spring is here. Start planting today.

From April 14th
douglassreport.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
In Europe YOu cannot have your water cut off, as its against basic human rights. You guys should read this. General Comment No. 15, The right to water (arts. 11 and 12 of the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights)

I think people needs to take their own government to court for basic human rights infringements when it comes to lack of water....

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
It's going to cost the city more money to repair main breaks when people start digging into the pipes to get the water. They might want to rethink their tough stance on cutting off water. Humans are very creative when it comes to getting basic needs, and carrying out vengeance.

So first, anyone from Detrot know what water cost per month for a typical family? I have a feeling it is not much.

What I am reading from many of these posts is that the vast majority of the productive workers and those educated have left and what is left are the dredges of society. Why would ANY company want to go there…

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by loner007

not a right, a privilege. Anything which is a commodity can not be a right. You buy water. If water were a right you wouldn't have it bottled in stores.

Sure, you have the right to have water and you also have the right to purify it. You wouldn't claim that clothes are a right would you? You can make them yourself; and while you can't "make" water yourself you can procure it. You can purify it. People did it for thousands of years, and they still are. Dig a well people. That's what my grandparents did. That's what we did 20 years ago.

edit to add this

A right is something you are born with, and you will
die with, granted to you by your "Creator" (whatever you
imagine He/She/It/Them to be). A privilege is granted to
you by the King, General, Church, or the State, and may be
revoked at any time, if one loses favor. This is usually
caused by a failure "consider the king", a failure to pay
the "royalty", tax, indulgence, tithe, license fee, etc.

stason.org...

[edit on 22-4-2010 by Mr Headshot]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

Water is not a privellige.....It is a right ...As i said its part of the human rights act. If you dont feel its a right thats your loss.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by loner007]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

If I had to go without clothes, I wouldn't die. I might be naked and get thrown in jail for being in public. But, hey, at least in jail I'll get water right? and food?

Pfft, no contest!

Pred...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join