It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McAfee antivirus program goes berserk, freezes PCs

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
An anti-virus program that does exactly what it's supposed to guard against? Go figure.

The problem lies in a faulty virus definition file (DAT) update that quarantined a critical Windows XP file (svchost.exe) which caused continual reboots or BSOD's. Mostly corporate environments were affected because their updates are pushed from McAfee unlike users who were self scheduled and therefore missed the bad update that was removed from McAfee's servers. The details for the curious can be found here at ComputerWorld.

Another one bites the dust. I too have had a problem with the Anti-virus corporations ever since Peter Norton sold his wonderful tools to Symantec in 1990 and they plundered and pretty much destroyed the once usefulness of his program - though they have been milking his good name ever since for a healthy profit I assume.

I too use the freeware stuff on a few of my computers, but some I use nothing at all just like I have since the 80's before we had viruses. Why the hell do I want to throttle down my power just for the off chance that I do something stupid and download a virus? Obviously the corporate or business critical environment is different and I don't recommend people go without protection unless they're willing and able to sit around for a half a day and reload their systems a couple times a year or can switch systems as necessary like I do.

reply to post by Romanian

No your wrong, some of us are not thread killers and we at least attempt to be on topic.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Now that I think about it, I am currently using McAfee and the last time I scanned my computer, the program said it found like five viruses (yuh, I know). So I started the removal process and one of the last viruses I tried to delete said it was un-deletable because it was a crucial component of Window's computing software... oh darn-it.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Conspire

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
I really think there may have been more to this than meets the eye.

I would like to know if any ATS members use McAfee and did they have any odd or bizarre behavior today from their PCs.

Its claimed that the file McAfee detected was part of Windows and that it was a harmelss file, but I am not so sure. Windows collects various data on its users and sends it back to Microsoft. Supposedly the data is anonymous, but I am pretty sure IP addresses are logged. Maybe McAfee picked up on some Echelon related Trojan.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21/4/10 by MikeboydUS]

All free anti virus software has rendered my computer useless, i hav ehad to use windows restore several times in the last month as I attempted to update expired free anti virus software.
Why? they want our loot .
Here is a free tip, dont sign up to any free software anti virus offer, they will make it impossible for you to earse their core files and when you try and download another free antivirus your computer will crash.

The very best advice when it comes to PCs in general is not to take advice from people who do not have a clue lol. An error between the user and his or her PC is NOT an error on the programs fault. Either you pick the scam free antivirus, or you are doing something you shouldnt be. I have been a PC tech for a number of years and have used free antivirus for each one of them with no issue.

<< 1  2   >>

join